Help a noobie out! (IEM Recommendation)
May 5, 2008 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

giordun

Head-Fier
I have a 1st Generation iPod Nano (4GB) and I recently started using it to listen to music outside again.

And those iPod earphones REALLY suck. When I was on the train all I could hear was the outside sounds.

So help me out.

This is what I need

- Not TOO noise canceling. My mom has this issue with safety. If it is too noise canceling I won't be able to hear things like a truck honking when it's just about to hit me or like a fire bell or a gun shot or something.

- I want IEMs.

- I listen to a lot of hip hop, and when I'm not I'm usually listening to most of the mainstream stuff that other teenagers listen to.

- Comfort is a big issue. I usually go on the computer at night and I don't want to make any noises to disturb anyone in the house. When I use my iPod earphones for a long period of time my ears start hurting.

- Durability... Not too fragile? I plan on putting them in my pocket most of the time. My iPod earphones are still here today and they are functioning very well.

- Looks... Like I said I don't want something that's like ****ing huge. I'd probably give some of those in ears a try or some really compact headphones.

- And probably the most important... Price. I see some of these headphones can go up to really high prices... I'm happy to spend up to around $100 on these headphones, but of course the lower the price the better.

And if there is anyone here that lives or has been to Hong Kong... Where is a good place to buy headphones?

EDIT - New specification... These headphones must be sold at this website

香港金è²è€³ç*’專門店. 銷售世界å牌耳ç*’耳機 Kingsound Headphone shop. -Westone, Ultimate Ears, Shure, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica,AKG,BeyerDynamic

May 5, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 33
Koss Portapros are nice in your price range, but are pretty open. Also check out some of the portable folding Sennheisers.

May 6, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 33
The Porta Pros look too - hey look at me.

I saw someone with them before and like the whole train could hear his music.

May 6, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 33
JVC Marshmallows maybe? Entry level canalphone, about $20.

May 6, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 33
BIG- AKG K518DJ
small- hmmm.. JBL reference220..

May 6, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 33
For hip hop and bass, no doubt, go for a pair of AKG K518DJ (updated and all black version of the K81DJ). The treble and mid are not bad, but the bass might be overpowering to some. If you are basshead, so this it it! And it is sturdy too! The clamping force might be a problem though...

May 7, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 33
I was in the same situation with you. I bought IEM's called Denon AH-C551 for $65 on Amazon. They do block out a lot of noise outside if you raise up the volume, but if you keep it low, you can hear most noises. I think the cable is durable enough to wrap it around your iPod. I put it in a cases though. I don't wrap it around my iPod touch. I listen to the same kind of music as you. I really like the thumpy bass on these headphones. I think you should buy Ultimate Ears super fi.5 extended bass. They're a little expensive, but I think you can get them cheaper on eBay. I prefer IEM's than full size headphones.

May 7, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 33
The correct answer is KSC75. It only costs $15 or so, has GREAT sound esp. enough bass for your rap, is SUPER comfortable, lets sound in (for those gunshots) but lets it out also... only problem is that they're not that durable, but at least they come with lifetime warranties, and if you buy two... you'll always have a spare while the other's getting repaired.

May 7, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 33
No headphone is indestructible. If you're going to wrap the cable around your ipod, they will not last. I suggest getting a tin used for holding mints and store your headphones in that. It's small, most people won't steal it, and it will protect your investment (assuming you are using a headphone small enough to fit in the tin).

If you are looking for partial noise reduction, my suggestion is to get a closed, on-ear headphone to block some noise, but not all. The AKG K81dj is a good choice, but it does have an awefully long cable (or atleast the old model did).

Otherwise, I would suggest the JVC Marshmallows. They're fairly inexpensive, good for hip-hop (plenty of bass), and can be had at nearly every electronics retailer. The only problem is that you will most likely not hear anyone else around you. They retail for around 20 USD.

Another option would be the JVC Air Cushion (a step above) and use the rubber tips, not the foam tips (rubber tips tend to not block as much sound, I've found). The model isn't much more than the Marshmallows, and supposedly sounds better (I've not heard them, but I have heard the marshmallows). They retail for around 35 USD.

Good luck,

Nylan

May 7, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #15 of 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back