Help a noob spend his money
Sep 29, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #16 of 17
No wonder i was put off by the idea of a headphone amp. The cheapest amp i've found (not including the 1 on ebay) is £142 from HiFiBitz which is $250! $60 is less than £35 thats a much better price. Where do people in the UK get their headphone amps? I'd prefer not to order overseas if i can help it.

Oct 2, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #17 of 17
I'm testing 595's and 555's right now. I've tested on X-fi and the zs there is a difference in the 2 phones but its not a big difference to my ears. I like the Xfi but untill some reallly great games are out to fully use it its not a must have.

My guess is if I was using higher end audio equipment the difference would be greater between the 595 and the 555. Also, I have only had them a few days, my previous listening experience has been through bargin basement el cheapos. The point in this is an experienced ear used to higher quality listening would be better trained to the little differences that make for a truly great sound.

If you have the money go for the 595's and I feel your quality of listening will have a chance to grow. You would not be disappointed with the 555's either.

The biggest difference using the 595's and the 555's on my xfi or zs is the 595's do pronounce the sounds with more detail and the bass is tighter strings and horns are a little cleaner, I like this about the 595's. The 555's have a less room between the notes. I feel thier sound is just softer and they have a larger presents of sound (Not as close to the ear).

I'm certain a little more above 75% on the volume control I'm getting distortion. I think both phones would benefit greatly from a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back