Help a newbie pair an AMP with his new DT-880's
Jan 21, 2008 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

oshox

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-880's (2005 ed.) a couple of months back, and I've been incredibly pleased with them. Incredible comfort and sound for under $200.
I've now decided to purchase a portable amplifier to truly unlock their potential, and I'm having difficulty deciding which one. I've picked out five promising amps by reading through various forums, and I was hoping an audiophile expert might be able to lend me a little guidance. I don't have the spare money to go experimenting, and I can't justify the expense for the "Top Brass" amps, like the Pocket Reference II or The Hornet.
I realize that "best sound" is a purely subjective argument, so I'll list my audio sources and primary listening material to help narrow it down:

Sources:
1. PC w/ Bluegears B-Enspirer (CMI8788) PCI Sound Card
2. Creative Zen V Plus Portable MP3 Player

Listening Material
1. PC Games
2. Music (Classical and Rock)
3. Movies

I use the Dolby Headphone feature a lot while playing games and movies, so a good soundstage is paramount. Also, with the games, good bass goes a long way to immerse me in the game. Those should be the top two audio perks of the amp.
I'm not too concerned with other features, like crossfeed, since my PC provides most of the audio processing. In addition, the amp will spend 90% of its time pugged into a wall outlet. I'm not terribly worried about having the smallest amp or having one with incredible battery life. Audio Quality is what I'm shopping for, but I'd prefer to have the option to take it on the road (planes are more likely, but same difference).

I am very grateful for any advice this wonderful community is willing to give.

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by oshox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In addition, the amp will spend 90% of its time pugged into a wall outlet. I'm not terribly worried about having the smallest amp or having one with incredible battery life. Audio Quality is what I'm shopping for, but I'd prefer to have the option to take it on the road (planes are more likely, but same difference).

How about two amps?

Get a cheapie portable for travel and a desktop with tubes at home. I find the DT880 a bit sharp up top with solid state. Not a criticism; the DT880 is one of my favorites. I just need to run it with tubes to mellow it out a bit. And if you're going to listen 90% of the time at home, I strongly recommend you consider a tube amp. You'll get much more use and enjoyment out of one than you would a portable.

The other option I would consider is getting a halfway decent pair of IEMs for airplane travel and skipping the portable amp altogether. Personally, I use a pair of Shure e3cs straight from an iPod. Not as good as the DT880, but the isolation is good on airplanes and the sound is nice enough. Like you, I do 90% of my listening at home, and I think it pays to have a "real" amp at home.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Given the fact that, in my humble opinion, my headphones sound better than any other I've heard connected directly to my MP3 player, I can use a desktop amp. I've started looking around for a Little Dot II or III. The II+ is available pretty cheap, and the MKII is just a bit higher than I'd like to spend, but probably well worth it. In the future, I'll get a Total Airhead for portable use.
Let me know if I sound off my gourd, and whatever I get I'll post my results. Apologies for run-on sentences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back