Help a Newbie Find - Entry Level Amps for K701
Mar 16, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #16 of 32
Yeah... I noticed that $150 won't get me anywhere...

So I'm planning to increase it to $200... as I have asked before, what do you guys think about the LD MK III?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwokinator /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been reading up on Little Dot MK IIIs!!! and it seems that many are impressed by its performance, but I don't know if it would work well with the K701s...

The reason I'm looking at this right now is because I can have a friend who can do local pick up with them, which saves me about 50 dollars!!!

They will cost $200.00USD(haha i keep increasing my budget... this is not looking good
frown.gif
)
Completely brand new and I doubt I can find it cheaper for used because of shipping...

A side question: is tube rolling difficult - for a newbie like me? I really don't want to destroy my first amp ...

Anyway, thanks for the great suggestions guys! Keep them coming!
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #17 of 32
Hey, i don't know about the little dot complementing the k701's but I'm in the same boat as you (after a tube amp for the k701's). I've found the amps we should be after are the canamp and the 336i darkvoice. If you are also wanting a tube amp i recommend splashing out a little bit more to get the darkvoice ($250 if your lucky). I know its a bit more than you planed to spend but i think if you go for a amp that cant power the beasts properly you may end up regretting it and hitting the stores again in a few months. Thats my thinking anyway, hopefully uniting the akg's with the 336i as soon as.
icon10.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #18 of 32
The K701 is definitely a great choice to build a system around. Its legendary soundstage is uncompromising and the treble extension is deadly wicked. However, the bass from these beautiful headphones leave much room to grow. Focus on a bass oriented AMP to complete and groom the K701.

More important than the whole portable vs desktop discussion is synergy. Imagine the k701 pairing with a detail analytical source (less warmth) and a wire with gain AMP (e.g. Gilmore Lite) it's a recipe for DISASTER. Make sure you pair those monster with the right AMP. As mention earlier check out the heed CANAMP...regardless of its innards...its been well documented to bring the k701 out of the closet. Drop my friend Mr. DW a pm about the heed and k701...he loves chit chatting about his beloved Canamp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Yeah... I noticed that $150 won't get me anywhere...

So I'm planning to increase it to $200... as I have asked before, what do you guys think about the LD MK III?

I'm very happy with my MKIII/K701 combo, especially after doing a little tube rolling- the K701s sound wonderful with Tung Sol EF95 black plates!

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a lot to input other than the iBasso amps get a lot of good comments (the P2 in particular for your price range), or there is the M3... Both are portable, desktop amps are usually better if you don't need portable, but to be honest I can't think of any good desktop amps within that price range.

Really I'm just posting to say: AKG k702, whoa!?

Not trying to be picky, just clarifying a point, that would be the Mini³?

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #21 of 32
I'm using a LittleDot MKV here happily with (ALO-re-cabled) 701's. However, I found it TOO revealing and ended up upgrading my source. I've regrettably only heard a tube amp with K601's but that combination was spot-on for me. I chose the MKV in the end as tubes + kids I didn't think would be a good combination.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #22 of 32
sup guys first post here. i too have the k701s and love them. i do a lot of gaming on my pc but i am also really into music. i thought my sony studio monitor cans were good until i put on the 701s. the sonys are crap LOL!!! however i am a total noob when it comes to amps. i was wondering if anyone had experience with the darkvoice 332? any help would be great thanks

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 is definitely a great choice to build a system around. Its legendary soundstage is uncompromising and the treble extension is deadly wicked. However, the bass from these beautiful headphones leave much room to grow. Focus on a bass oriented AMP to complete and groom the K701.

More important than the whole portable vs desktop discussion is synergy. Imagine the k701 pairing with a detail analytical source (less warmth) and a wire with gain AMP (e.g. Gilmore Lite) it's a recipe for DISASTER. Make sure you pair those monster with the right AMP. As mention earlier check out the heed CANAMP...regardless of its innards...its been well documented to bring the k701 out of the closet. Drop my friend Mr. DW a pm about the heed and k701...he loves chit chatting about his beloved Canamp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wher does one buy a canamp? Any links to mr DW?

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #24 of 32
I've found the Zero to be an excellent match for the K701s. In addition the (solid state) amp section, it also includes a quite decent DAC. Be aware that you will need a true digital source (e.g. digital coax or SPDIF/Toslink) to drive it. It does NOT have any sort of analog input. It does have a set of line-level outs for using the dac section as a stereo preamp. Total cost including shipping from Hong Kong is ~$180.

Mar 18, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, i don't know about the little dot complementing the k701's but I'm in the same boat as you (after a tube amp for the k701's). I've found the amps we should be after are the canamp and the 336i darkvoice. If you are also wanting a tube amp i recommend splashing out a little bit more to get the darkvoice ($250 if your lucky). I know its a bit more than you planed to spend but i think if you go for a amp that cant power the beasts properly you may end up regretting it and hitting the stores again in a few months. Thats my thinking anyway, hopefully uniting the akg's with the 336i as soon as.
icon10.gif

that is sooo tempting... I might just do it... ahh...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very happy with my MKIII/K701 combo, especially after doing a little tube rolling- the K701s sound wonderful with Tung Sol EF95 black plates!

That's really good to know, I've been looking into it... this one seems like a likely choice...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerEaves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found the Zero to be an excellent match for the K701s. In addition the (solid state) amp section, it also includes a quite decent DAC. Be aware that you will need a true digital source (e.g. digital coax or SPDIF/Toslink) to drive it. It does NOT have any sort of analog input. It does have a set of line-level outs for using the dac section as a stereo preamp. Total cost including shipping from Hong Kong is ~$180.

I'm looking into this right now... It seems pretty good for the price!

Here's the tread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ml#post3934143

A question out of curiousity, what kind of cables will I need to plug this DAC/Amp into the computer?

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

that is sooo tempting... I might just do it... ahh...

That's really good to know, I've been looking into it... this one seems like a likely choice...

I'm looking into this right now... It seems pretty good for the price!

Here's the tread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ml#post3934143

A question out of curiousity, what kind of cables will I need to plug this DAC/Amp into the computer?

I have recently acquired the ZERO and have the 701.
I am still burning it in...
Will let u know how this turns out.

I am doing Optical(Toslink) out from my soundcard to ZERO.
It can also take coaxial (which I will use for hooking up a CDP in the future)
I am sending the (analog)output into a H/K stereo reciever to 2-way speakers. The ZERO can switch betweeen the HP and analog out. It can also switch between the inputs.
The wait time is 2-3 weeks at least... Keep that in mind

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have recently acquired the ZERO and have the 701.
I am still burning it in...
Will let u know how this turns out.

I am doing Optical(Toslink) out from my soundcard to ZERO.
It can also take coaxial (which I will use for hooking up a CDP in the future)
I am sending the (analog)output into a H/K stereo reciever to 2-way speakers. The ZERO can switch betweeen the HP and analog out. It can also switch between the inputs.
The wait time is 2-3 weeks at least... Keep that in mind

That's great to know! (How is it sounding right now?) What is the brand name of the Optical(Toslink) cable you have?

Is this going to take you 2-3 weeks to burn it in?

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

That's great to know! (How is it sounding right now?) What is the brand name of the Optical(Toslink) cable you have?

Is this going to take you 2-3 weeks to burn it in?

I am using the premium cable from MONOPRICE = $5!!
2-3weeks is the wait time for the ZERO to come in from HONGKONG. sometimes more.
My unit shud be burnt in in the next few days.

It sounds very good now... comparing it to the HP out from my H/K stereo, which is no slouch. But it still lacks in bass... But with Opamp swaps... that can be addressed! In addition I plan to add a tube amp via a zero to my circuit... at some point.

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the premium cable from MONOPRICE = $5!!
2-3weeks is the wait time for the ZERO to come in from HONGKONG. sometimes more.
My unit shud be burnt in in the next few days.

It sounds very good now... comparing it to the HP out from my H/K stereo, which is no slouch. But it still lacks in bass... But with Opamp swaps... that can be addressed! In addition I plan to add a tube amp via a zero to my circuit... at some point.

lol Monoprice has seem pretty good deals, but I'm not too sure if their cables are good quality!

Very very tempting... I won't have any problem with the wait time because I can get a friend to do a pick-up for me
biggrin.gif
Opamp swaps? Is this easy to do? Also, the newer batches seem to have problems!!!

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #30 of 32
To my ears, the Xin Super Micro IV sounds amazing with K 701's, and it sells for $169. Unfortunately, Xin never seems to actually ship amps anymore, so you'd have to find one used and that's probably not going to happen.

Now that I've typed that, I realize it's not terribly helpful. Oh well. The phones sound pretty good with my Headroom Micro w/ desktop module, but not as good as they do with the Xin.

I should mention that I do not have a high end home amp, so I may not really appreciate what I'm missing.

The K 701's are a great value IMO. I also use them for listening to movies and they perform well plugged straight into my pioneer dolby headpone box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back