Help a newbie find a good watch!
Dec 2, 2008 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

The_X

1000+ Head-Fier
I just turned 20 and was thinking it is about time to buy a decent watch. My wrists look very naked by themselves these days! Problem is, I really don't know where to start. One of the big issues with me is that I have really thin wrists, so most watches don't look good on me.

I'm looking for a very low-profile watch with a small face and a leather/nylon band. I'm definitely looking for something low-key and classy, nothing flashy at all. I'm a vegetarian and prefer not to wear leather, so if I get a leather band I will probably end up swapping it out. (Yes I know, it's kind of stupid since it's already purchased...)

What I've liked so far has been the Oris Classic and Raymond Weil Traditional lines. A few stores in my area carry the Raymond Weil line, but not some of the higher end automatics. There's also one store that sells Oris, but I haven't gotten a chance to go take a look yet.

Any other good suggestions? I want to spend about $500 and was mostly looking at eBay, since there is the Live.com 30% cashback. However, I'm flexible since I can wait and save up a bit as well.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 22
Cash back is at 25% now.

I own this Oris:
NEW Oris TT1 Day Date Automatic Watch SS/Rubber $1,395 - eBay (item 200272586754 end time Dec-06-08 23:53:52 PST)

But how about this one:

ORIS Classic Date SS Gents Watch - eBay (item 400011687626 end time Dec-31-08 19:00:00 PST)

Both fit your budget. The only issue is, you are not likely to find an authorized dealer on eBay. Just something to consider.

Edit: I see you named the Classic. I read it wrong the first time.

Anyway, here's the a crappy photo of mine in the Watch Thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4332329-post2028.html

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 22
I was just about to recommend the Stowa to you! It's (probably) the next watch I'll buy. I've got an older one and like it, but now that the exchange rate is better, I might have to get an Antea.

Oris watches are very nice, too. Nearly bought one on vacation last year; I like their diver models. Another brand you might like is Sinn. They have clean designs and are well made. I own a 656 and a 244, with the 244 being my everyday watch. Retail is over your budget, but they turn up regularly on eBay for much less.

Take a look at West Coast Time's watches, too. They have great prices on good ETA movements in durable stainless cases. I have their 2824MP on a NATO strap - I love it. They have a variety of Nylon NATO straps and stainless bracelets, too.

If you want something unusual, look for a used Ventura. Unfortunately out of business, but they had forward looking designs and great quality. I have a V-Matic, which is one of my favorites.

If you might be interested in vintage, look at the old Eterna-Matics and tuning fork Accutrons. Something like an Accutron Spaceview or Astronaut might hit the spot. The old Eternas are dressier, understated and run forever. Most modern mechanical watches use ETA movements - ETA was spun off from Eterna to make movements. So their old ones tend to be very good. They're not that well known in the US, so you can get a great watch without collectors inflating prices.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 22
Take a look at Seiko's Spirit line of watches.

s_scvs013a.jpg

While this is not the one that I bought (it was my runner up), it gives you a good idea of the general style of the line of watches.

Seiya is a good source for them.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 22
I like that Oris Classic Date SS.

Another line to consider is Hamilton, which has been recommended to me by various watch fans (I don't own one). Along the styles mentioned here, their Jazzmaster series might be a good choice. I've also been recommended to buy from Princeton Watches: Hamilton 37mm Jazzmaster Viewmatic - Brown Leather - Silver/White Dial H32455555

H32455555.jpg

If you want to go vintage, I've heard this place is good - Cool Vintage Watches - Chronographs, Chronometers, Watch Straps Bands Accessories!! I like to browse their selection from time to time.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 22
Move into the 21st century and get a watch that is powered completely by solar (no more replacing batteries), is waterproof to 300+ feet, has a barometer, a thermometer, an altimeter a compass, world time, stopwatch, countdown timer, auto-luminescence (the back light goes on automatically when you turn the wrist towards you), and a signal to the atomic clocks in the U.S., Japan and Germany.

Looks nice and all for $180

51u80V%2Bxe%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 22
dude, what you're looking for is a Mondaine. off course there are $180 watches that can do anything and look ugly while at it. But if you want something that will go with jeans and a t-**** just as easiliy as with a suit and tie, Mondaine is it. Only thing I can fault them for is the popularity among the designers and architects around here, but that might just be the people I hang out with. It's just something that occured to me after I got one: apparantly I do fit some stereotypes :p

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 22
Stowa just raised their prices significantly from last night to today!! The Antea KS was €375 last night and now €420!

What a good decision to make in a bad global economy.

I like those Mondaine watches. Do any retailers carry them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back