Help a knub choose between E7 vs E10+E11 + E17
Jan 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

cradle emperor

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, Im considering getting my very first DAC (+amp). Here are the combinations im considering

1. just get an E7
2. get an E10 for my computer and E11 for my iPod
3. Wait for an E17

I know it would depend on my budget. I guess what I'm really asking is is E10+E11 an enough improvement in sound over an E7 to pay bit extra?

Then I'm also considering substituting E6 for the E11, or getting the Xonar U3 usbcard in place of the E10, or both.
so
4. E6 + E10
5. E11 + Xonar U3
6. E6 + Xonar U3

So many opshins!!

On one hand, I think I should keep cheap since these are my first DAC/AMPs but on the other hand id prefer to get just one set, and might as well get something that will satisfy me on the long run.

I'm leaning most towards #4.. only concern is how well E6 holds up.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 28

Quote:
Hi guys, Im considering getting my very first DAC (+amp). Here are the combinations im considering

1. just get an E7
2. get an E10 for my computer and E11 for my iPod
3. Wait for an E17

I know it would depend on my budget. I guess what I'm really asking is is E10+E11 an enough improvement in sound over an E7 to pay bit extra?

Then I'm also considering substituting E6 for the E11, or getting the Xonar U3 usbcard in place of the E10, or both.
so
4. E6 + E10
5. E11 + Xonar U3
6. E6 + Xonar U3

So many opshins!!

On one hand, I think I should keep cheap since these are my first DAC/AMPs but on the other hand id prefer to get just one set, and might as well get something that will satisfy me on the long run.

I'm leaning most towards #4.. only concern is how well E6 holds up.

You want the E17. the E10 does not sound as good as the E17 and the E11 is at around the same sound with slightly better (very little, most won't be able to tell) The E17 does everything you need it to do, all in one unit. You get the DAC of the E10 with the sound of the E11 for $150. it's best to wait paitently like everyone. The E6 and E5 are just beginning amps, nowhere near the big leagues. get the e17.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 28

Quote:
You want the E17. the E10 does not sound as good as the E17 and the E11 is at around the same sound with slightly better (very little, most won't be able to tell) The E17 does everything you need it to do, all in one unit. You get the DAC of the E10 with the sound of the E11 for $150. it's best to wait paitently like everyone. The E6 and E5 are just beginning amps, nowhere near the big leagues. get the e17.

Yep, i have one of the first batches shipped for the e17. To simply describe the e17 in one word is "awesome". It's an amp and a DAC AND you can customize bass, treble, balance, volume memory (neat), etc =)

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 28

Quote:
Wait for the E15. Should sound better and be more practical than E17 for desktop use and get the E11 for the ipod.

Problem is that, that will take a while. Months and some cant wait anymore. They havent even started it yet from what it seems due to all this fiasco

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 28
Any of you guys making recommendations thought to actually ask the OP what cans he's driving?  Or what his computer set-up is?  Seems kind of difficult to be recommending amps when you don't have information on the parameters .....

OP - while you're at it, might pay to list main music preferences and whether you prefer a bassy, neutral or bright sound signature.

BTW @bowie06 - I see you making a  lot of comments about Fiio amps.  Would be interested to know how many you've actually heard?

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
Any of you guys making recommendations thought to actually ask the OP what cans he's driving?  Or what his computer set-up is?  Seems kind of difficult to be recommending amps when you don't have information on the parameters .....

OP - while you're at it, might pay to list main music preferences and whether you prefer a bassy, neutral or bright sound signature.

BTW @bowie06 - I see you making a  lot of comments about Fiio amps.  Would be interested to know how many you've actually heard?

If you read any of my comments throughly, I say again and again that I don't own any. I am just basing this off what a majority of audiophile's have reviewd and said and use with their headphones. Anyone else can make a better suggestion and I would usually support a person if they say they own it and like this or that amp better. :/ Head-Fi is just a place to post things and suggestions and opinions no?

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 28

Quote:

good point. I currently own SHR240, B&O A8, and Senn CX300ii. none of them i find too satisfying, and i found im a more earbuds person, so im thinking of picking up a Yuin PK3, or a Sunrise AS-Charm if i can find a darn pair..

Im gonna use it for my sager laptop. the headphone jack on it is absolutely hideous, and it seems to have trouble driving 16ohm cans. It is otherwise a very high-end laptop, I dont want to have the audio crackle while everything else on it is snappy so i want to get something that can bypass the onboard completely.
i dont have very high standards. like i said this would be my very first DAC/amp purchase. I would really prefer something low budget thats a good bang for buck.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
good point. I currently own SHR240, B&O A8, and Senn CX300ii. none of them i find too satisfying, and i found im a more earbuds person, so im thinking of picking up a Yuin PK3, or a Sunrise AS-Charm if i can find a darn pair..

Im gonna use it for my sager laptop. the headphone jack on it is absolutely hideous, and it seems to have trouble driving 16ohm cans. It is otherwise a very high-end laptop, I dont want to have the audio crackle while everything else on it is snappy so i want to get something that can bypass the onboard completely.
i dont have very high standards. like i said this would be my very first DAC/amp purchase. I would really prefer something low budget thats a good bang for buck.

bolding ur last sentece. if you read reviews, you will find taht the E17 is just that. Mike also prefers teh Audinist but getting in contact with another reviewer put up a interestoing twist that the other reviewer prefered the E10 to the Audinist MX1 and says that Mike sometimes get's blinded and rates items lower since it is cheaper. A statement that may be true due to the ending sentence of his E17 review and may or may not be true as well. The e17 is th DAC/Amp purchase you are PROBABLY looking for. nobody REALLY has it yet(except for like 10 or 20 people that don't use head fi actively)

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 28
I would also look at the iBasso D-Zero for under $100 -- DAC and amp and gets good reviews here.  I've had other iBasso amps and they are extremely clean sounding.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 28

Quote:
alright sounds good. i dont mind as long as it isnt too much of a wait, and id imagine the early reviews would roll out quite quickly as it is a product thats been anticipated heavily.

yeah should be mass roll out in a month

Quote:
I would also look at the iBasso D-Zero for under $100 -- DAC and amp and gets good reviews here.  I've had other iBasso amps and they are extremely clean sounding.

yeah i don't have any of them and base them off reviews and what i see people do and get, but the D-Zero i have heard some problems with with the DAC and USB. next, Mike @ headfonia liked the E10 better than the D-Zero as he was more towards that sweet sweet mid sound. The amplifier of the e17 which is extremely similar to the e11 should also be better than D-Zero's. the 215mW @ 32 Ohms is also a good stepping stone to further upgrades to new full sized cans down the road.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 28
@ cradle emperor

Your SRH240 and Senn CX300s don't need an amp.  I've owned the SRH 840 and 940 and they can be driven OK without amping.  I also had the CX300 for a while earlier on.  As you go higher (with the Shures) - there can be some benefits - but the with the SRH240 you're not going to see a lot.  I'm not sure regarding the B&O A8 - never heard them - not sure how sensitive they are.  How are they now with your iPod?

Regarding the buds you're looking at buying.  Haven't heard the PK3 - but CEE TEE used to own them, and I trust his comments.  He says they don't need amping (higher versions will do).  So in interim - for your portable listening - you don't actually need an amp.  If you want one to experiment with - I can recommend the E11 (form factor is great, and it will drive a lot of higher cans).  I've even used it with my HD600 and it goes pretty well.  Most of the time with my portable listening (if you are actually out and about), I find an amp is more hassle than it's worth (bulky).  Transportable is a different story.

Your computer though is a different beast.  If you are getting static and noise - then you'll want a DAC.

My personal opinion - and I'm being blunt here.  By the looks of things, most of you gear is very entry level.  You're unlikely to need 24/96 or indeed and of the coax etc inputs.  I can't see the point in you spending $150+ on a dac/amp as a first buy - when most of your gear doesn't warrant it.  If you're trying to future proof - then maybe see the point .... but not what I'd do.

I see 2 possible options.  E10 for your computer - low priced, reviews are good, small footprint.  Not portable though (ie PC/laptop only).  I haven't heard it - just going on reviews.  Check with someone who has owned it - there are quite a few that have it now on head-fi.  If you get the E10, I honestly wouldn't worry about getting anything else for now - until you significantly upgrade your headphones.  When you reach that stage, get something that will suit the cans you're going to buy.

2nd option - just get the E7.  Yes it's only 16/44 - but it has a decent DAC and you're not trying to drive anything really difficult.  It is very cheap and will give you an entry point that can be used both portably and with your PC.  No sense blowing a  lot on gear only to find out that the 'night and day' difference you see on Head-fi is in reality quite small.  For reference I own the E11, have previously owned the E7 and E9.  Rest of my gear is either in my sig or in my profile.

If you were really going to spend a couple of hundred on upgrades (ie new buds + thinking about E17), you would be far better buying a decent head-phone like the HM5 and then getting the E10 for your computer.

My 2c.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
If you read any of my comments throughly, I say again and again that I don't own any. I am just basing this off what a majority of audiophile's have reviewd and said and use with their headphones. Anyone else can make a better suggestion and I would usually support a person if they say they own it and like this or that amp better. :/ Head-Fi is just a place to post things and suggestions and opinions no?

I have read your comments - many times.  I was actually tossing up whether to say anything or not -in the end, I felt I had to.  For reference, I owned E7 and E9.  I currently own E11.  Rest of gear is in my sig and profile.  I've also been lucky enough in trips to NY to spend time at J&R demoing quite a few cans.

I'd really suggest you read this : http://www.head-fi.org/t/270280/stop-recommending-gear-youve-never-heard-rant-warning

The problem is that a lot of  your posts read like you do have extensive knowledge of the gear you're recommending.  And some of it IMO is just wrong.  Suggesting to a newcomer that he should wait for the E17 without knowing what his gear is or what his budget is etc - is just adding to the famous hype machine here.  You're dealing with people who're putting their money on the line here.  You don't NEED to recommend blindly.  Tai's (ClieOS) heard most of the Fiio gear - if people want a comparison - suggest that they ask the specific question in one of his threads.  He can answer accurately.  If you really want to give targeted advice - spend some of your own money, buy the gear, THEN you can be really helpful.

I'm not trying to stop you posting - it's great you want to help.  But suggest you point the newbies in the right direction (to threads where they can get their answers) rather than stating specifics as if you've heard them.

Note in my previous post to the OP - I clearly stated I had not heard the E10 and recommended that he get specific advice from someone who owns it.  Everything else I discussed, I have had experience with.

Will look forward to some of your reviews once you do start trying the gear you're currently recommending, or saying one is better than the other (and I mean that sincerely).  You may find that you look back and realise that there is no substitute to forming your own opinion once you've heard it 
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 28
Thanks for the detailed reply. Frankly it was just what I needed.
I have absolutely no idea what to expect for paying how much money so i appreciate you being straightforward in telling me that my current gear is way low-end to benefit from the previous suggestions.

What i am trying to do would be closer to future-proofing, but not really, in a sense that i just want to feel a 'hey this sounds better than anything ive heard so far!" moment then just leave it at that. instead of moving onto higher end gear from there.

The only actual 'issue' i need to resolve is the bad sound quality in the laptop. everything else is just the result of me being carried away from reading other posts on other threads in the forum
tongue.gif

as with the amp, i heard alot of people saying pk3s 'still sound better' when driven. so I was under the impression that amps in some way increase SQ even if its low impedance. im still very intrigued by the E6. especially because ive found head-direct sells E5s bundled with pk3s, which are basically E6s. i assumed they come bundled because they do some kind of good for it
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back