Help a guy out...... Anyone had to glue their IEMs back toghether?
Mar 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kfcounts

New Head-Fier
I posted this in the RE0 thread, but one of my RE0s has come apart at its seam.  I assume its just a bad glue joint.  I'd like some advice on how best to put them back together.

Which glue is recommended? 

Will I be able to get them loose much later if I have to replace the cables?

If you have done this before, I'd like to hear from you on what went well, or not.

Thanks in advance,

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 5
I had a pair of Xears iems that I needed to take apart to replace the cable inside the housing (it went bad).  To get into the housing, I used a straight razor blade and just kept working it into the seam of the housing until it came apart. 

To glue the housing back together, I used this product and it worked great.
Loctite super glue w/easy brush applicator:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007894AW

I just used the brush and applied a little bit of super glue to the seam of the housing, pressed the two pieces back together, held it there for about 30 seconds and then let it set for about 10 minutes (extremely easy).  The housing has held together perfectly fine ever since, with no problems.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to open the housing back up if I needed to (to break the super glue bond), I haven't tried.  I would definitely recommend using super glue that has a brush applicator though.  I was able to apply the right amount of glue very precisely, because of the brush. hope that helps

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 5
I glued my re0 back together at the seam in the earbud after it separated from going in the washing machine like in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491750/re0-s-broken-how-should-i-fix-them

I just used super glue and it's done the job grand. The glue used originally seemed like pva glue but that was after a spin in the washing machine, in it's original state it seemed good. I'd say it'll be tough to nearly impossible to fully replace the cable on mine seeing as I used plenty of superglue but I've no intention of replacing the cable. I had to replace the audio jack after one of the earbuds lost sound. Mine is long out of warranty so I've no problem working on them.

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 5
One of the housings on my Nuforce NE-7Ms had to be glued back together when they were about a year old. I think that oils from my ears/skin caused the glue to loosen up.

To put it back together I just cleaned it up fairly well and applied a light coating of some cheap super glue. I pressed the two halves together for about 20 seconds, cleaned up the excess glue that squeezed out of the seam, and then let it set for a few minutes. It was good as new after that.

If you want to get them apart again - super glue won't permanently bond with some plastics, rubbers, and metals - so you might be able to get them apart with force. If you're weary about forcing them apart, you can use acetone (nail polish remover) to release the bond of the super glue. For the seam in an IEM you might have to keep the acetone in contact with the seam for a few minutes or longer to allow the acetone to seep into the seam. Before you start just make sure that the acetone won't degrade or destroy the plastic housing by testing a small inconspicuous part of the housing.

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 5
I went with Super Glue, Locktite brand from Walmart because the bottle had a brush applicator.  Looks like a successful operation.

Thanks for all the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back