Help, 1964-Q vs Merlin as first custom IEM??
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lauraar90

New Head-Fier
Heya,

anyone have first hand experience or can direct me to a link which has a comparison between the two. They have apparently very similar drivers, except 4 vs 5, but there is a considerable price difference between the two, and I have also heard 1964 ears has very fast service.

I really appreciate punchy bass, but I do not want to sacrifice mids because of heavier bass focus, and also would prefer a musical sound rather than analytical. I have previously owned the ie80s and found they had a veil over the mids and were to bass orientated, however I did like the punch or could even do with a bit more. Any recommendations between the two ??

Also about custom art, when I am going to attached pictures does the artwork have to be precise, or do they generally touch it up and add their own artistic touch ? or is it just shrunk and applied ?

Thanks so much fellas.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi there, I'm relatively new to this forum and do not consider myself to be a very professional audiophile. However, I have tried both the 1964 quads and the merlin (both in universal I'm afraid) and there is quite a bit of difference. The Merlin's have a very boomy low end while the quads are more detailed IMO. The bass of the dual balanced armatures is very different from that of a dynamic driver (I owned the se215 which is dynamic as well). And frankly I prefer the quads as they are more clear but bass quantity is certainly less. Perhaps you should read a review or maybe ask project86 for a comparison? I believe he has both of these but in custom shells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back