Help 01: Tube Amp for less than $225
Mar 13, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #49 of 66
I used the Mark III with my HD-650s and was very pleased. The amp can be switched between OTL and Transformer output with the a front panel toggle, it also has two headphone jacks making it very versatile.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing 'wrong' with the Lunchbox's power, is that is uses a non-standard power cable (at the amp connection). It still works fine, and has a standard wall plug on the other end.

Actually, that isn't *quite* true. It is the same exact type of connector my laptop power supply uses, as well as my Pioneer DVD player. You can even get "audiophile" type power cables with that kind of connector like this one: PS Audio - Punch Power Cable-Audio Advisor

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, that isn't *quite* true. It is the same exact type of connector my laptop power supply uses, as well as my Pioneer DVD player. You can even get "audiophile" type power cables with that kind of connector like this one: PS Audio - Punch Power Cable-Audio Advisor

Don't you have to get the file out if you order a PS Audio C7 Punch Power Cable for the Lunchbox? I don't think they are quite the same? I did order the IEC Punch Power for my Figaro though.

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by fdhfdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C&C XO could be an good choice, it works on Sens' headphones

[size=medium]fdhfdy- The discussion in this thread is about TUBE based amps. The C&C XO is NOT a tube based amp. But thanXs for the thought anywayz.
redface.gif

best,

angel[/size]

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright here's the skinny on the Lunchbox II.

The new version can drive anything from 25 ohms up just fine, it was the old version that did not have the gain switch in the back that could only drive 150 ohm cans and up.

I think it is a good choice because if something goes wrong, the dealer is in the US unlike Darkvoice and Little-Dot.

The only thing 'wrong' with the Lunchbox's power, is that is uses a non-standard power cable (at the amp connection). It still works fine, and has a standard wall plug on the other end.

thanXs for your two cents
tongue.gif
Joe. You make a VERY good point, one I had considered - but I think if the seller provide good tech help, I could probably troubleshoot an 'old' tube unit. Depends on the 'vibe' and feedback I get when I talk to someone at Little Dot (etc.) - but then again the 'vibe' will also affect my decision as to which toy I choose.

As for the LunchboxII power cord. If push come to shove, rip it out and duct tape in a new one
biggrin.gif

So the vote goes to Little Dot, thanXs Joe.

best,

angel

Figaro: 1
Little Dot Mk III: 5 (+1)
Lunchbox: 4

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #54 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by us.classic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well angel, you might be able to get the
Antique Sound Lab MG-Head OTL Mark III
for under your budget of $225. Check it out.

A.S.L. MG-HEAD OTL MARK III tube headphone amp - eBay (item 320226586669 end time Mar-16-08 16:00:32 PDT)

Regards,
Larry

Hiya Larry- thanXs for adding another toy for consideration. Is your recommendation based purely on 'my' price point??? OR Do you have some experience/Love for this particular unit???

If this is a 'personal' recommendation, could you please post some comments as to what you like, and DON'T like about the unit. Much thanXs.

best,

angel

ASL MG-Head OTL Mark III:1

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #55 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To OP: LunchBox II pairs very well with DT990 and HD650.

thanks for your contribution 'kostalex'. You say that both of my cans would pair nicely with the Lunchbox II, but does it have enough juice to play LOUD??? Do you have any data that states what the Lunchbox's output is into 300/600 ohm cans???

The little Dot Mark III sayz they can pump out 300mw into 300 ohms, not even sure that's going to be enough juice for me. Yep, I drive HPs VERY HARD. Only the Gods have prevented me from blowing out a 'tire'
biggrin.gif

Again, thanXs for joining the conversation.

best,

angel

ASL MG-Head OTL Mark III:1
Lunchbox: 5

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #56 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by us.classic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the Mark III with my HD-650s and was very pleased. The amp can be switched between OTL and Transformer output with the a front panel toggle, it also has two headphone jacks making it very versatile.

Well 'classic, I going to guess that your Mark III is the ASL, and not the Little Dot, as the LD doesn't have two HP jacks or a front toggle.

'classic could you tell me why you like your Mark III, and thanXs for chiming in.

best,

angel

ASL MG-Head OTL Mark III: 2

Mar 14, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #57 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ammatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for your contribution 'kostalex'. You say that both of my cans would pair nicely with the Lunchbox II, but does it have enough juice to play LOUD??? Do you have any data that states what the Lunchbox's output is into 300/600 ohm cans???

It is able to make you deaf with your cans. I listen HD650 at 11 - 12 o'clock typically. Sorry, I have no data.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #58 of 66
Useful article regarding LOUD listening:

HeadWize: Preventing Hearing Damage When Listening With Headphones:

Quote:

...It is all too easy for headphone listeners to turn up the volume to the point where hearing is at risk. Interestingly, most people find it difficult to distinguish between 85dB and 100dB SPLs, despite that the latter is more injurious to hearing...

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you have to get the file out if you order a PS Audio C7 Punch Power Cable for the Lunchbox? I don't think they are quite the same? I did order the IEC Punch Power for my Figaro though.

You are absolutely right, sorry. THIS is the one for the Lunchbox: Audioquest - NRG-1 AC Power Cable-Audio Advisor

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ammatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well 'classic, I going to guess that your Mark III is the ASL, and not the Little Dot, as the LD doesn't have two HP jacks or a front toggle.

'classic could you tell me why you like your Mark III, and thanXs for chiming in.

best,

angel

ASL MG-Head OTL Mark III: 2

angel,
I recommend the ASL Mark III to you for a couple of reasons. As I mentioned I used the Mark III with HD-650s with stunning results. The extra headphone jack was nice when watching a late movie or music DVD with my son. I think he was using a pair of 280s and the volume was not really balanced but it worked for us. The OTL/Transformer high low impedance switch really does make a difference. The build quality is first class and the price point is a big factor for you here. Bang for the buck. Unfortunately I have not heard the other amps in this discussion but have read a few reviews, still I can't give you first hand knowledge. All I know is the ASL Mark III left nothing to be desired at least for my ears, and it wasn't even burned in yet. If it stays within your buget it's a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back