Help 01: Tube Amp for less than $225
Mar 9, 2008 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

ammatos

Head-Fier
To the members of the community,

I am in need of your assistance. I am interested in acquiring a Tube based headphone amp for less than (hopefully) $225. Also, I am open to a tube-based power amp with a good headphone output.

I've been a "Can-Man" for 50 years now. As a matter of fact, I am an OLD fart who grew up on DUAL, Garrard, and Empire turntables - feeding a tube based amp (Marantz, Fisher, Dynaco, Sherwood, etc) - feeding a nice set of cans. My first upscale HP are lost in my apartment somewhere, my second and third (by Koss, original PRO4AA) 'walk away' during a move. And then there were others.

My two "in-use" ancient headphones are a Beyer DT990 (grand pa) and a Senn HD580 (pa), and I'd like to acquire a less than $100 son. Currently considering RP-21, HD280 & HD595. If it helps any, on the portable side I lean towards UE and Ety.

As far as the Tube based amp is concerned, I'm seriously considering the Little-Dot Mark III at this point in time, but I've given myself 30 days to dig, read, and ask. So if anyone would like to nominate a different amp, I am all ears. I would prefer an all Tube unit, but if someone can make a good case for a Tube/SS unit, please talk to me. As an outside possibility, I've toyed with the idea of a DIY - but I'm not sure that if I started - my arthritis would allow me to finish it. As a young'en, I started with DIY and then "kits", as in Dynaco, Knight-Kit, EICO, Heathkit, etc. My first non-DIY amps were a Dynaco (DynaKit) Tube based unit and an EICO first generation Solid State 'kit' unit. Both at a hi-powered (in those days) 35wpc.

When it comes to an amp, I look for some basics: pretty flat freq. response, solid bass, clean highs, and good imaging. But the main issue, is the visceral feeling one gets - followed by 'the smile' as one gets wrapped into the music. As has been noted in many amp reviews, the "visceral' reaction can easily trump solid technical stats.

So, please - be it your 2 cents or your 5 cents - chime in. I am very open to hear from you folks that have had the opportunity to play with one, or with many units. Make your best argument for your candidate.

thanXing you for your help and wishing you the best,

angel

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 66
I think an Eddie current Lunchbox would be an excellent choice for you. It has a lot of power, which the 990 and 580 need. It also is nice and compact.

The little dot amps are also a good bet.

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think an Eddie current Lunchbox would be an excellent choice for you. It has a lot of power, which the 990 and 580 need. It also is nice and compact.

The little dot amps are also a good bet.

Thanks for getting back to me. By your answer, I gather that the "Lunchbox" has more 'umph' than the Little-Dot units, is this correct???

Do you have the web address for the "Lunchbox" amps???

BTW, is the company name 'Eddie Current' or "Lunchbox"???

much thanXs,

angel

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 66
It's Eddie Current that makes the Lunchbox II, and it's a terrific little amp, and well worth the $225.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 66
The Little Dot MKIII at $199 may well be the best value in tube amps. I love mine and would definitely put it on your "short list".

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #9 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just make sure your not trying to drive low impedance cans with the lunch box. EC website says minimum impedance is 150.

Does that mean don't try to drive some K701's at 62ohm
frown.gif
That sucks because I know the 701 needs a amp with some balls.

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that mean don't try to drive some K701's at 62ohm
frown.gif
That sucks because I know the 701 needs a amp with some balls.

Yeah that what I got from it. Im lookin for something for my 701s that wont cost a fortune as well CrewChief.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 66
Yeah I remember your other posts now. Well if you find something you liike make sure to give me a holler.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 66
BTW Dorito I did some reading up and it seem that our dream amp is the Graham Slee Solo. You can read about it here or look it up on the forums. It seems it is more current driven and that is right up the 701's alley. Only problem is it is $$$$. OK sorry for hijacking the thread.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #13 of 66
The Lunch Box is pretty good with Senns. I don't know about the Beyers, though. Why don't you drop Craig a line? He's very friendly and always willing to give advice. I'm sure he has a few memories of the old kits, as well.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just make sure your not trying to drive low impedance cans with the lunch box. EC website says minimum impedance is 150.

I think there's a gain switch on the Lunchbox II that will allow you to drive lower impedance cans. I came close to buying one myself for the HD580's but the RSA XP-7 was just too much to resist. Might still get a Lunchbox down the road but I'm pretty much satisfied with the gear I have.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #15 of 66
I will stir the pot. The Figaro sounds great with the HD-580s and it is 159 plus shipping. Around 219 or so.You will need a step up transformer but that is only about 30 bux or so. I am so happy with this amp. Low impedance cans will need a impedance adapter of some sort but so what. I will hang up my MS-1's for this amp and I recabled them with a cable from BJC. Don't miss them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back