Help 01: Tube Amp for less than $225
Mar 13, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give me a little bit and I will have pictures of the "amp' in question in the setup you need to have it in. I almost got a Lunchbox II. I have a Lisa EXP to compare as a base. The Figaro is burning in nicely. More updates in a bit. Yeah if you hit the search button there are a few threads and one with pictures of the insides. Happy hunting.

Alessandro is the company and they are 99 bux shipped anywhere. I recabled mine with BJC and they are a fiercer beast. Good stuff.

Hey Big - thanXs for the feedback. From the looks of the Figaro, I'm guessing that it's a tube/SS hybrid. am I correct??? Also, where did you get your Figaro??? Did you go through Darkvoice, or is there a good dealer handling their stuff???

If you talking about recabling, the MS-1 should be headphones; So do they compare to the Evolution RP-21s which I've seen praised on this site in the sub-$100 category??? ORRRRR - compared to Grado, Senn 280 or 555???

Hope you Figaro is cooking well
smily_headphones1.gif

best,

angel

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #33 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a lot of research I decided to go with the Little Dot MK III for my Sennheiser HD600s, which have the same drivers as your HD580s.
+1

thanXs for the vote, Dr Doom - Since your voting for the Mark III I guessing you're happy with your toy. So could you tell me what you like, and what you don't like.

best,

angel

Figaro: 1
Little Dot Mk III: 3 [+1]
Lunchbox: 3

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

I was looking for the entry level tube amp to start with. I did not want any serious commitment. If I did not like the amp I could give it away with no hard feelings like I did with previous gear. This amp is the entry level of the Darkvoice stable. That is what I was looking for.The Lunchbox II is the entry level of the Eddie current stuff. That is what my search began with. Little dot MKII I think is the entry level of that stable. May not have the name right. Anything that I'm missing?. My buddy Joshatdot got the Little Dot. I wanted something to compare that was different at the meet and I SCORED BIG TIME!!!!!

It was made in China 220V only. The seller lied through his teeth.

Hey Big- It sounds like you've been able to compare your 'cooking' Figaro to Joshatdot Little Dot. Some Q's-

How well cooked is 'dot's Little Dot??? How much comparing have you been able to do?? And at this point why do YOU love the Figaro over the Little Dot, even if the Figaro screwed you with its 220v wiring???

BTW, regarding the 220v power transformer. If you or a friend have some technical background you may want to consider one of these three options:

[1] Does the Figaro's power xformer have 110v capability built in via rewiring???

[2] The possibility of replacing their 220v xfmr with an equivalent 110v xfmr??? In which case you can also upgrade the xfmer's quality level. OR,

[3] Building an external power supply and the necessary harness to bypass their built in power supply all together.

hope the pot's cooking good stuff
biggrin.gif

best,

angel

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #35 of 66
OK casque_hifi stay away from. Their English sucks, They will send you messages in French, doesn't work for me. Also they cut out the seller part of the invoice.70 bux for shipping. Lied to me saying they can get 110v. You can find cheaper on eBay! Don't even think about a signature waiver. I'm happy with the amp. I went through a lot to get the Figaro. I have no regrets getting the amp. Great amp lot of chinga! You can swap the IEC cable. I just bought a PS Audio Power Punch 1 meter cable to plug into the Figaro to my Step-up&down transformer. EC Lunchbox has a weird cable and the Little Dot? The Darkvoice is Low Maintenance in that respect.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ammatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Big- It sounds like you've been able to compare your 'cooking' Figaro to Joshatdot Little Dot. Some Q's-

How well cooked is 'dot's Little Dot??? How much comparing have you been able to do?? And at this point why do YOU love the Figaro over the Little Dot, even if the Figaro screwed you with its 220v wiring???

BTW, regarding the 220v power transformer. If you or a friend have some technical background you may want to consider one of these three options:

[1] Does the Figaro's power xformer have 110v capability built in via rewiring???

[2] The possibility of replacing their 220v xfmr with an equivalent 110v xfmr??? In which case you can also upgrade the xfmer's quality level. OR,

[3] Building an external power supply and the necessary harness to bypass their built in power supply all together.

hope the pot's cooking good stuff
biggrin.gif

best,

angel

220v is easy to deal with. I have a Philmore ST-100 on loan from my buddy. It is not a big deal really! No there won't be a 110v version. So what. You can PM me and I will give you my cell number and you can ask away any concern.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

OK casque_hifi stay away from. Their English sucks, They will send you messages in French, doesn't work for me. Also they cut out the seller part of the invoice.70 bux for shipping. Lied to me saying they can get 110v. You can find cheaper on eBay! Don't even think about a signature waiver. I'm happy with the amp. I went through a lot to get the Figaro. I have no regrets getting the amp. Great amp lot of chinga! You can swap the IEC cable. I just bought a PS Audio Power Punch 1 meter cable to plug into the Figaro to my Step-up&down transformer. EC Lunchbox has a weird cable and the Little Dot? The Darkvoice is Low Maintenance in that respect.

Ok Big- You got me confused. Are you saying that the Little Dot and the Lunchbox ALSO have some sort of power supply, power cord, power something issues similar to the Darkvoice???

Is it all worth the hassle??? Some of these folks are charging some serious change for the shipping as it is. Then I have to do a tap-dance with the power system. Don't Think So! You said the Darkvoice is a power supply pain, but yet - you consider the Darkvoice - low maintenance. So could you be a little clearer as to what your issues are with ALL these units. Please remember, I have no experience with any of these units, outside of pretty pictures. The reason my first consideration was the Little Dot is the fact that they at least tell you what they're selling. The Lunchbox @ Eddie Current has minimal info, and Darkvioce's site sayz NOTHING!

So Big - Talk to me, I don't want to waste money on a POS or a PITA unit; too old to have the patience.

thanXs/best,

angel

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #38 of 66
Bah;

I thought I was too late to comment..heck I still might be. I use twin lunchboxes as a balanced amp...(see my sig) Does this count as 2 LB votes? or just 1?

Bazile

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #39 of 66
I vote little dot, just take a look at the first page of the amp forum, there are always at least two or three threads going on little dot amps anytime you check, I can remember the last time I saw a lunchbox thread around here... the community of little dot owners here is huge and for good reasons.

Little Dot Mk III: 4 (+1)

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

220v is easy to deal with. I have a Philmore ST-100 on loan from my buddy. It is not a big deal really! No there won't be a 110v version. So what. You can PM me and I will give you my cell number and you can ask away any concern.

thanXs for the offer Big - You've been PM'ed

best,

angel

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah;

I thought I was too late to comment..heck I still might be. I use twin lunchboxes as a balanced amp...(see my sig) Does this count as 2 LB votes? or just 1?

Bazile

thanXs for your input Bazile. Though you have two amps, it's just one vote. Where beez your SIG??? Lunchbox Lover
eek.gif

WHY do youz love your Lunchboxes so much????

best,

angel

Little Dot Mk III: 3 (+1)
Lunchbox: 4

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote little dot, just take a look at the first page of the amp forum, there are always at least two or three threads going on little dot amps anytime you check, I can remember the last time I saw a lunchbox thread around here... the community of little dot owners here is huge and for good reasons.

Hello Alchemist- Well all thing being equal it is between the Mark III and the Lunchbox at the moment. I had expected some mention of the hybrid Bada PH-1, nothing so far.

For those that may have had the oppertunity to play with BOTH the Mark III and the Lunchbox; any comments about simularites and differences in SOUND quality??? and BUILD quality???

thanXs for your note and your vote Alchemist.

best,

angel
Lunchbox: 4

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by fdhfdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C&C XO could be an good choice, it works on Sens' headphones

I didn't know that was a tube amp
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #45 of 66
Alright here's the skinny on the Lunchbox II.

The new version can drive anything from 25 ohms up just fine, it was the old version that did not have the gain switch in the back that could only drive 150 ohm cans and up.

I think it is a good choice because if something goes wrong, the dealer is in the US unlike Darkvoice and Little-Dot.

The only thing 'wrong' with the Lunchbox's power, is that is uses a non-standard power cable (at the amp connection). It still works fine, and has a standard wall plug on the other end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back