Help 01: Tube Amp for less than $225
Mar 12, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's Eddie Current that makes the Lunchbox II, and it's a terrific little amp, and well worth the $225.

ThanXs Sky - I'm guessing there's probably a review by you somewhere
biggrin.gif
; will track it down.

best,

angel

Little Dot: 0
Lunchbox: 2

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #17 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to give my vote for your consideration of a Little Dot MKII or MKIII. Read Penchum's wonderful reviews of these amps. They are really a 'diamond in the rough'.

thanXs for your input 'Chef, and your note on Penchum's review (or reviews??); will track down.

best,

angel

Little Dot: 1

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just make sure your not trying to drive low impedance cans with the lunch box. EC website says minimum impedance is 150.

thanXs for the heads-up Dorito. As this means that if I get a Luchbox, Grado's can't be my new HP.

best,

angel

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Little Dot MKIII at $199 may well be the best value in tube amps. I love mine and would definitely put it on your "short list".

Hi Roger- Glad to hear your in love
smily_headphones1.gif
- ENJOY!
You tied up the score.

best,

angel

Little Dot: 2

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW Dorito I did some reading up and it seem that our dream amp is the Graham Slee Solo. You can read about it here or look it up on the forums. It seems it is more current driven and that is right up the 701's alley. Only problem is it is $$$$. OK sorry for hijacking the thread.

No problem 'Cheif- We're all trying to resolve the same problem. Hope your situation works itself out.

BTW, if we could all afford the 'Solo', things would all be so lovely

best,

angel

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #22 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Lunch Box is pretty good with Senns. I don't know about the Beyers, though. Why don't you drop Craig a line? He's very friendly and always willing to give advice. I'm sure he has a few memories of the old kits, as well.

Hiya Uncle- You said "The Lunch Box is pretty good with Senns", could you explain what "pretty good" means????

As you own a Lunchbox, puts another vote in their column.

best,

angel

Little Dot: 2
Lunchbox: 3

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there's a gain switch on the Lunchbox II that will allow you to drive lower impedance cans. I came close to buying one myself for the HD580's but the RSA XP-7 was just too much to resist. Might still get a Lunchbox down the road but I'm pretty much satisfied with the gear I have.

'Ola 'Boxer- There is a 'gain' switch, but the limited data sayz- minimum HP load is 150 ohms.

best,

angel

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #24 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will stir the pot. The Figaro sounds great with the HD-580s and it is 159 plus shipping. Around 219 or so.You will need a step up transformer but that is only about 30 bux or so. I am so happy with this amp. Low impedance cans will need a impedance adapter of some sort but so what. I will hang up my MS-1's for this amp and I recabled them with a cable from BJC. Don't miss them.

Hello Mr. Big
rolleyes.gif

You mentioned a "step-up" transformer - Where is Figaro made that it would require a 'step-up???? for use in the states. Did you mean a step-down, for a European 220v toy to be use in the states???

And I'd have to get a 'step-up' network (a'la Ety P to S) for low imp cans??? What's the lowest imp it supports out of the box????

Sidebar: Who makes the MS-1 (headphone?yes) that you're willing to sacrifice for the Figaro???

thanXs for adding a new name (I've never heard of before) at a good price point.

best,

angel

OK Big- Figured out that your Figaro was by Darkvoice, but outside of pretty pictures there is NO DATA on their site. Soooo, do you know of a site that has Darkvoice info????

Figaro: 1
Little Dot Mk III: 2

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ammatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Mr. Big
rolleyes.gif

You mentioned a "step-up" transformer - Where is Figaro made that it would require a 'step-up???? for use in the states. Did you mean a step-down, for a European 220v toy to be use in the states???

And I'd have to get a 'step-up' network (a'la Ety P to S) for low imp cans??? What's the lowest imp it supports out of the box????

Sidebar: Who makes the MS-1 (headphone?yes) that you're willing to sacrifice for the Figaro???

thanXs for adding a new name (I've never heard of before) at a good price point.

best,

angel

OK Big- Figured out that your Figaro was by Darkvoice, but outside of pretty pictures there is NO DATA on their site. Soooo, do you know of a site that has Darkvoice info????

Give me a little bit and I will have pictures of the "amp' in question in the setup you need to have it in. I almost got a Lunchbox II. I have a Lisa EXP to compare as a base. The Figaro is burning in nicely. More updates in a bit. Yeah if you hit the search button there are a few threads and one with pictures of the insides. Happy hunting.

Alessandro is the company and they are 99 bux shipped anywhere. I recabled mine with BJC and they are a fiercer beast. Good stuff.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

'Ola 'Boxer- There is a 'gain' switch, but the limited data sayz- minimum HP load is 150 ohms.

best,

angel

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/var...ssions-245103/
This thread has quite a bit of info on the Lunchbox II. Post #23 answers the question regarding the minimum HP load. I knew I had read this somewhere, just a matter of tracking it down.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #28 of 66
Quote:

Hello Mr. Big
rolleyes.gif

best,

angel

After a lot of research I decided to go with the Little Dot MK III for my Sennheiser HD600s, which have the same drivers as your HD580s.
+1

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #29 of 66
I was looking for the entry level tube amp to start with. I did not want any serious commitment. If I did not like the amp I could give it away with no hard feelings like I did with previous gear. This amp is the entry level of the Darkvoice stable. That is what I was looking for.The Lunchbox II is the entry level of the Eddie current stuff. That is what my search began with. Little dot MKII I think is the entry level of that stable. May not have the name right. Anything that I'm missing?. My buddy Joshatdot got the Little Dot. I wanted something to compare that was different at the meet and I SCORED BIG TIME!!!!!

It was made in China 220V only. The seller lied through his teeth.

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with the Little Dot III from the reviews I've read so far.

thanXs for chiming in Spooky- I'm going to add your 'vote' in brackets, as you - like me - are going on what there have said, while the other folk are offering hand-on, trench war fare experience.

best,

angel

Little Dot Mk III: 2 [+1]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back