Hello. Im new to the board :)
Oct 22, 2008 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NilsenNorway

Head-Fier
Just wanted to introduce myself.

Im 33 and from Norway. Have been a music-o-holic for a couple of decades now and have a nice collection of almost 3000 cds. The missus works in a record shop and gets me free access to what i want.

My stuff:

Sony CDP-XA2ES ---> Cambridge Audio A340 ---> Sennheiser HD520 phones. Got some decent cables (prolly better than any of the equipment lol)

On monday i will be getting the HD555 in the mail and i really hope i they will be better than the old headphones i have but i have been dumb enough to read what people say about them and im not getting my hopes up too high hehe
smily_headphones1.gif
My next step will prolly be the Dacmagic by Cambridge audio and an enty/mid level headphone amp.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 16
Welcome to the site! Unwelcome your wallet as it will get smaller...

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 16
Welcome! You're definitely starting off from the right perspective: music first! You'll find all sorts of interesting "gear" discussions here, but pick your battles wisely. No doubt, your system can be improved, but know what you're looking for in terms of your sonic preferences and budget and then take it from there.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 16
Welcome fellow Norwegian! Take everything you read with a grain of salt, trust your own ears, and keep your wallet in a place you will never find it again
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 16
Hehe thx.

Yes i put music first. I found that you get FAR more bang for the buck when using headphones than the traditional amp/speaker combo and i can enjoy it without pissing off the neighbours
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NilsenNorway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe thx.

Yes i put music first. I found that you get FAR more bang for the buck when using headphones than the traditional amp/speaker combo and i can enjoy it without pissing off the neighbours
biggrin.gif

True. If you live nearby Oslo, keep a lookout for the next meet sometime in the future. Last time (first norwegian head-fi meet me thinks) was a blast, and a very good way to listen to lots of good stuff.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 16
I live a cople of hours outside Oslo but a meet would be cool. Btw im going to Hifi klubben tomorrow to check out the new Argon HA1 headphone amp. Or maybe ill go on monday and bring my new HD555's down there for a listen
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 16
I live a couple of hours away from Oslo too.

You should definetely listen with the cans you intend to use IMO, and also with other brands if possible to get the feel of what sound you like. They all have different signatures. I think Hi-Fi Klubben also could let you borrow it home for a longer and more peaceful listen.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 16
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

The rest of the posts were lost in an out-take, and I don't even remember exactly what I wrote. So welcome it is...

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 16
Welcome to Head-fi. Go to some mini-meets in your area and listen to some gear. Please send your wallet to therapy now, it will never be the same. You have been warned
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 16
I think I'm close to Oslo too. If not, I'm there in spirit. You are correct in the bang theory. HPs are an excellent value. It's the other stuff that'll break ya. Visit our music forum. If you can decide which is better, The Beatles or Pink Floyd, you will love our logic.

She who must be obeyed also likes hps as opposed to speakers. I do too, I don't have her telling me what I think while I'm enjoying the music.

Happy listening.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 16
Welcome to Head-fi! Krmathis may have something for you to try. :wink:

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #15 of 16
I am also new too. One thing I have found browsing through the equipment forums is that:

1. Some of the debates are very technical - being an engineering numpty I don't understand them

2. People get very stressed about their position ie do cables make a difference to sound quality

3. Your wallet is impacted if you look at this site

Overall it is a great site and resource for music & gear lovers however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back