Hello Hi-Fi ! Goodbye wallet! (Need suggestions!)
Apr 8, 2006 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Etrips

100+ Head-Fier
Well first off I just wanted to say hi! to everyone. I have just recently bought a 5g 60gig Ipod video (don't hate me) more so for the 60gig capacity as well as the video function upgrading myself from my 512mb iriver 395T.

Well anyway after aquiring my new found hardware, I suddenly had a motivation that I wanted better sound, as well as better comfort from the headphones that I'm currently using (some Philips ear hook phones). So my friend let me try out his ER-4S's, and later on today I'll be trying out his Beyerdynamic DT 250-80's. I must say I was extremely impressed by the ER-4S's with it's isolation from everything (no noise from being in a extremely loud enviroment), and they sounded really good. Then again coming from some off the shelf headphones I'm sure thats not really saying much.
etysmile.gif
Only thing I didn't really like about them was how they felt plugged in my ear, or maybe perhaps it just takes some getting used to maybe?

Anyway, onto the question at hand! I've been doing a little bit of research this morning when I just couldnt sleep (maybe because of my new found quest in finding better sound?) and trying to see if I could find another thread that would match what I was looking for. Sadly I couldn't find anything, or I was too tired and doped up on Nyquil to notice.
tongue.gif
My situation is that I basically get to listen to music all day when I'm at work (how sweet is that?). So I'm looking for something thats portable to be used on my Ipod, maybe something that isn't completely isolated but won't leak alot. Types of music I listen to: Trance, Electronica, R&B, Hiphop, K-pop, J-pop. I want something that will keep me at a whole new level of listening to music and make me go
basshead.gif

First off I want to say that my budget is up to... let's say, $150. I think thats a good start off. In my search this morning I came across the HD555's and the HD595's for cans, and for something a little more discreet, the ER-6i's. Still trying to decide if I want some cans or the ear canals. Looking for something thats nice and defined, not so much as bass heavy, but still want to be taken to a whole another level of music. Any suggestions? Help me help my head please!

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 24
The HD580 will require an amp to run off your ipod>Actually now that you have arrived here you WILL end up getting one.I would say the HD555/595 would not suit your listening needs either.Its shy on bass and will not suit trance,hip-hop,electronica or R&B ,i use the Audio technia A500 for these types of music and its excellent.

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 24
FYI: Stay as far away from the Er-6i as possible. You have two contenders here. The warm 580s, or the blunt and bassy MS-1s.

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
get the HD 580 instead of the HD 555 or 595...

Perhaps you'de like to add more to that?

In my opinion, unless you're going to be using an amplifier, get the HD595. At 50 ohms you can expect decent audio quality directly out of your iPod, where as the HD580 who's impendance is 300 ohm might be a bit too much from your iPod.

Also make note that the HD580, 555, & 595, are all open aire headphones, which mean they don't seal you from the outside noise. Unless you'll be using these headphones at home most of the time, I'de look elsewhere.

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by padi89
The HD580 will require an amp to run off your ipod>Actually now that you have arrived here you WILL end up getting one.

lol I think deep down inside me I already know this. Was already taking some peeks at headroom's portable amp pack they have.

The_Duke_Of_Eli : Why stay away from the ER-6i's?

Firefox360 : Your advice is kindly noted, any suggestions as to what I'm looking for?

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 24
ER-6is have a sweet mid range and treble response but judging from the music you like, you won't be satisfied with its bass response. Don't get those. You will definitely need an amp with a HD580 and you will need a pretty good one to get it to sound agressive. I honeslty don't feel that is suited to your listening tastes either. Grado SR 60 sounded pretty good as rock cans. I don't like the kind of music you like to hear so I don't know how it sounds for those.

EDIT: Just realised I didn't help you at all. Welcome to Head-Fi. We are all confused.
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 24
I'm going to add some phones to the mix here. I think i might know of a phone that will suit your needs quite well. Unfortunately you won't be able to get too many other opinions on them. As far as i know only one other member owns a pair as of yet. They are brand new on the market and aspire to greatness at a low entry price. OK enough suspence, they are Goldring DR150's. They have a great punchy bass without being over pronounced. They're forward, engaging and fun! Fantastic detail and seperation! I don't think you can find a better phone for less than $300.00. Now for the really good parts, they're only $127.00, and they are very efficient. You won't need an amp to drive them. You may want one later to eek out all the detail they can provide. You can find out more on 2 other threads "Goldring DR150 first impressions" and "Look what the UPS guy just delivered... (56K warning)".

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrips
So I'm looking for something thats portable to be used on my Ipod, maybe something that isn't completely isolated but won't leak alot.

You sure you'll be okay with open cans? The Senns and Grado will leak, and if you're in an environment where you can't have, for example, computer speakers playing at modest volumes, I'd say you have to go with a more closed headphone.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
You sure you'll be okay with open cans? The Senns and Grado will leak, and if you're in an environment where you can't have, for example, computer speakers playing at modest volumes, I'd say you have to go with a more closed headphone.

Best,

-Jason

Well it's not that I can't have open cans, just more of a preference. Don't need everyone to know what I'm listening to. I work in a office and people are playing music on their computers and people jabbering away (mainly the reason why I want something isloated) that really annoys me. But at the same time if someone wants to get my attention I don't want to be completely blocked off from the world to the point where they have to tap me or something.

swt61 - thanks man, I read one of those threads. I'll try and look into it some more
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 24
I wouldn't recommend going with an IEM if you're working with other people in the office. It's a matter of convenience. If you need to give your attention to someone, courtesy dictates that you remove ear/headphones and I've seen IEM owners complain about the hassle of taking in/out IEMs. Just something consider besides sonic qualities.

Welcome to Head-Fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back