Hello and Sennheisers 598 vs ???
Aug 12, 2014 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mescalamba

Head-Fier
So hello, Head-Fi'ers.

Some long time ago I lurked around (about that time when I tried couple of headphones and stayed with my HD 555 nearly forever). And I decided I will go back for some advice, cause right now I need to get my old HD 555 repaired from Sennheiser (cracked and simply worn out). So I was thinking as very minor upgrade in form of HD 598. Shop I wanted to order it from was like "in 3 days", when I actually made order it was "sure.. we think in 14 days you might have them", so I sent them somewhere dark..

I took it as opportunity and thought, well .. is there anything more interesting or better than HD 598? Probably.. but, what?

Im going to use as source mostly FLAC and run thru ASUS STX soundcard (probably will switch OPAMPs for different ones, or recover old from my now dead Auzen, I liked em). Or eventually going to get some proper DAC/AMP (1k USD grade). I dont really have "favorite" genre, I listen nearly everything I find nice. So I need heaphones which are kinda "balanced", plus I do play games a bit (now you probably understand why I stayed with HD 555 so long).

Also it must not be V shaped headphones, cause I had AKG 701 and their highs almost caused my ears bleed. My preference is "flat" and "accurate". If music sounds bad, cause its accurate, I dont mind (I do, but well.. I prefer that, I know HD 555 are very forgiving, HD 598 probably too).

So what would be nice upgrade with what I want? Yea and they must be very comfortable, cause I usually sit with them on my head for hours of time (I need music, sue me..).

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

EDIT: Price, hm.. not that important. About +100 or 200 USD above HD 598 price? Go even above as pricing is pretty wildly different across the globe.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 5
The 598 are certainly a good headphone and you'd probably be really happy with them. If you really wanna spend more and get a better open headphone well then the Fidelio X1 and MA900 are certainly better than the 598 by a fair marging. Would NOT recommend K701 or DT990 to you given your needs. But the X1 and MA900 are both very very good upgrades.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 5
K612 Pro are generally considered more neutral than many of the Q/K7xx series. Soundmagic HP200 are another option to look into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back