hello and help
Jun 7, 2016 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

natenaaron

New Head-Fier
Hello. 

A little about me
I'm 45, a teacher, and love music but my family is a bunch of corporate radio junkies and no one likes my out of the mainstream music tastes.  I am banished to head phones if I wish to listen to music.  I live in the middle of nowhere Arizona and am not close to any place with headphones out side the big blue store with the yellow tag and wally world but refuse to buy headphones from wally world.

I have never been successful with head phones or IEM.  I always choose wrong.  My last head phone purchase was a pair of Sol Republic Master Tracks.  Wish I knew about this site before that fiasco.  When they died I was not upset.  Been using apple earbuds since because I had them.  Don't like them.

My music choices range from Jason Isbell to Metallic to Ennio Morricon.  Pretty much whatever my roller coaster moods demand.

Why I signed up

I have been lurking for some time now researching and reading.  There is lots of information on the site.  So much information that it is all confusing me. Being a teacher and a single family income, the budget is not big.  Right now I have $100US to spend; less being preferable.  I am hoping you folks can help me out.  I am looking for IEMs as they will suit my needs best I think.  Because of my glasses on ear headphones are not comfortable.  Over the ear are good if you have a suggestion for those.  NOt sure how those would handle resistance band exercises and riding a bike around a track.

My requirements for the IEMs
Durability or replaceable cords

Light for exercise (I need to lose weight, lots of weight)

Comfortable for over the ear wearing (Seems to stay in my ears best)

Able to be powered by my iPhone 5 without amplification right now (Someday I will delve deeper into the amps and dedicated lossless players but not right now)

DO NOT need to answer my phone with them or control volume.

Open minded bout bluetooth but not sold on it.

MOST IMPORTANT If a tune is bass heavy I want the base to be heavy but if I am listening to, say Gabriel's Oboe, I don't want it fuzzing out on the high notes while keeping the mids smooth

Maybe I am asking too much for a Less than or equal to $100US buy.

With all of the information and reviews on this site I think I find something that fits my needs then I read another review and that fits my needs, then another one.  I have lost track, so I am coming to those in the know.  Please help me.

I did read the entire 72 page thread about the Shozy Zeros this morning so right now those top the list but not sure about sweat and the wood. My mind will probably change with the next review I find.   How do the shozy zeros compare to the sound magic e10s and the Sure Se215

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 5
As I read your thread I was going to suggest the Shozys as well, but I haven't as much experience with IEMs as some of the guys on Head-Fi by any stretch of the imagination. 

What you might try doing is searching within the Shozy thread (there's a link at the top of the thread on the PC version of the site) for "e10" and "se215" and see if someone has compared them. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the se215 but I don't have any of the other ones you want to compare, sorry. Those se215s and the Bose IE2s are the only ones that I can get to stay in my ears when I go running. With the se215 you get the constant thump thump as you run but you get used to it. I sweat a lot and it hasn't been an issue, but I've only had them about a year now. Also the Shure's cable is really thick which might bother you depending on what you want it to do. The Shures are very immersive and have a lot of bottom end without sacrificing the mids and highs and will block all external noise out, which may be something you might or might not want. If you have a smart or exercise watch a lot of those you can use to control your music. I switching back and forth between the IE2s and the SE215 depending on how safe I want to be. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi and welcome to the community

The se215 are amazing iem's but they may not be suited for you, the bass and mids are the best features. The highs were exactly what I was looking for but they are rolled off past 10k. They are not dark sounding imo, just very smooth.

The stock cable drives me nuts, I always replace it with the Fiio cable but there are lots of other cables available. Fit of the se215 is amazing, my favorite of all I have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back