Hello all, looking Amplifier
Feb 22, 2017 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

chihwahli

Head-Fier
I am kinda new to amps, headphones, high quality music, etc. Been happy with 256 Itunes, but switched to start with to CD's so I can rip the to highest quality.

My setup is:
- Laptop
- Soundblaster E5
- Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm. Used for about 10 hours now.
- Jitterbug between E5 and laptop, kinda overkill I think, not sure, due to Asynchrone data transforpation protocol USB.

Looking for:
- Amp to amplify my headphone.

The SB E5 can power the 600 ohm headphone easy, but I am not completely satisfied with the sound. I have all Equalizers off (E5, Dolby software). But it lacks some punch.
I do know the Beyers are very neutral with a hint of coloring. But I was thinking to purchase a headphone amplifier and use the E5 as DAC only.

Idea:
laptop --> E5 --> headphone amplifier

Budget about 300 euro. Other suggestions and ideas are welcome. I am here to learn and hear.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 50
I really like the Schiit Asgard 2. I basically can power anything you'll ever have (unless you buy an HE-6). It is versatile to power low sensitivity headphones as well, without any noise floor. It also has preamp outputs. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 50
I am kinda new to amps, headphones, high quality music, etc. Been happy with 256 Itunes, but switched to start with to CD's so I can rip the to highest quality.

My setup is:
- Laptop
- Soundblaster E5
- Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm. Used for about 10 hours now.
- Jitterbug between E5 and laptop, kinda overkill I think, not sure, due to Asynchrone data transforpation protocol USB.

Looking for:

The SB E5 can power the 600 ohm headphone easy, but I am not completely satisfied with the sound. I have all Equalizers off (E5, Dolby software). But it lacks some punch.
I do know the Beyers are very neutral with a hint of coloring. But I was thinking to purchase a headphone amplifier and use the E5 as DAC only.

Idea:

Budget about 300 euro. Other suggestions and ideas are welcome. I am here to learn and hear.

I also own the Beyer 880 / 600. I enjoy them with the Schiit Valhalla. The Valhalla is designed with high impedance cans in mind.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 50
The 880 250's were also quite good from a Bottlehead Crack I'm sure the 600 ohm version would far very well also.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 50
Looking for:

Idea:

Little Dot MkII

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 50
I wonder, What I am saying , does it make any sense? Will some amplifiers give a bit or more bass and another less?

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 50
  An amplifier should not influence the equalization. Some may find tube amps to be a bit warmer sounding though.

Unless he buys something like an iFi iCAN Which allows him to manipulate sound stage and low's.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 50
Aahh ok, but on the other hand, letting it sound as it does is ok. Maybe I have to get used to my new Beyer. =)

But I wonder. I read as in:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-asgard-2

that it influences sound stage?, mid -bass slam?, etc? I read a bit contradicting posts / reviews. That an amp does not change the way the sound sounds, unless it's tube....??

Headphone open, semi open has influence upon sound stage, how low/mid/high are presented, etc. But the amp too??
So the above review is not correct?

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 50
The Schiit Valhalla 2 seems to be very high ranked. A neighbor who loves music, he advised me to get a tube amp.
And I see the discount and availability at Schiit Europe as a YES, buy me. =)

So Valhalla it will be.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 50
  Aahh ok, but on the other hand, letting it sound as it does is ok. Maybe I have to get used to my new Beyer. =)

But I wonder. I read as in:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-asgard-2

that it influences sound stage?, mid -bass slam?, etc? I read a bit contradicting posts / reviews. That an amp does not change the way the sound sounds, unless it's tube....??

Headphone open, semi open has influence upon sound stage, how low/mid/high are presented, etc. But the amp too??
So the above review is not correct?

Some people on this website are going to write pages about how their *cables* influence sound. I choose to go off of my experiences instead.

The headphone design is what influences the sound primarily. This is where the soundstage and equalization comes from. An amplifier, if properly driving the headphones, will have no affect on either of these things. Neither will a DAC. Sometimes when a headphone is under-amped the bass can sound flabby and not tightly controlled. I have had a couple computers with very poor onboard sound. One, everything sounded very thin and couldn't reach a high volume. The second had loose and out of control bass. These were simply put, bad amps.

A tube amplifier does introduce a small element of warm distortion, which many find pleasant. It also warms up some colder and more sterile sounding headphones.

The differences between my Asgard 2 and my Sony receiver are quite microscopic to me, because they are both driving my headphones fine. They aren't bad amps. I heard a Sennheiser HD 800 through both a Schiit Lyr and my Asgard. I'm sure over time I could pick out subtle differences but they both did very well and I'd be happy with either. There are diminishing returns after a certain point. Hearing the HD 800 though my bad motherboard on the other hand, would sound beyond awful.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 50
awesome. Never had a tube before. Any other recommendations, advice, lessons, etc , before I try to press buy tomorrow?? =)

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 50
  If you do have the 600 Ohm version though, the OTL Tube design of the Valhalla will play very nicely with it, from an electrical standpoint. It is what is was made for.

yes , I have the 600 ohm, I lurked around forums and read which headphone would be good for what sound signature.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 50
Many people don't like tube amp's either.
Because Tubes color the sound and are not a reference/analytical sound.

If you want something that is analytical either look at o2Amp or maybe an Asguard 2..

There are lots of cheap offerings too which can power heavy phones, like the SMSL VA2 and FiiO E9, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back