Heir audio 8A or Jh 16?
Dec 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

afishpie

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, i've been lurking in the forums for quite some time. Finally deciding to take the plunge to get a pair of customs. I currently own a tf10 and kinda like its sound signature and i mainly listen to songs off my trusty ipod (mainly 320kbps mp3s, pop, rock, alt rock genre). 

I live in a place where its pretty hard to audition any of the ciems, so im kinda taking a blind leap of faith here lol. Anyone kind enough to give me some constructive comments and comparisons? Thanks so much.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
Hi guys, i've been lurking in the forums for quite some time. Finally deciding to take the plunge to get a pair of customs. I currently own a tf10 and kinda like its sound signature and i mainly listen to songs off my trusty ipod (mainly 320kbps mp3s, pop, rock, alt rock genre). 

I live in a place where its pretty hard to audition any of the ciems, so im kinda taking a blind leap of faith here lol. Anyone kind enough to give me some constructive comments and comparisons? Thanks so much.

I'd consider a small portable amp to get the most out of either eight driver custom. An apex glacier, for example, is quite thin and has plenty of power even for full size headphones, to say nothing of iems.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 13
It's depend what you like most in songs like if need more bassy CIEMs with detailed mids, extended highs and wider soundstage then JH16Pro are great buy even without using AMPs. But if need more balanced sound and,very detailed mids, good bass response, sparkly extended highs then Heir 8A are recommended.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 13
Problem is that not many have heard the revised jh16 and the 8a is rather new so it's difficult for an overall perspective without a personal listen. Both of these have more bottom than I want so the best I could help you with is this. I do think both companies will supply samples given collateral. Samples tend to not be as good as their custom counterparts and may vary in different ways but they're also clearly better than nothing. What you may want to do if you get samples is ask for the next less expensive respective model as well.

Both units that you are looking at have enhanced bass and the ones below not so much. I personally believe that a custom purchase is too significant to just buy on faith without even a listen to a house sound to reference from. Big bass slows things down (for me) and I would be disappointed in that sort of deviation for my needs fot getting something like this. On the other hand others will appreciate that they can get enhanced bass with control and rhythm not available by any other means. It's all relative but difficult to put into perspective without some sort of listen.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks guys for your comments, really appreciate it. I'm not a basshead, and I know im going to get stoned for this but I'm not an amp person, just the iems and my ipod lol. portability XD. bump for more comments

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 13
what a coincidence today was my first post too but I've been a member for a year, and I happen to have the Heir Audio 8.A and 4.A, for which I have to write a review with pics, and believe it or not, I prefer the 4.A over the 8.A, because of its neutrality (compared to the 8.A), I use the 8.A when I listen to Pink Floyd because of the many instrument they play or when listening to songs like "Chan Chan" from Buena Vista Social Club, but when I listen to Black Sabbath I use my 4.A and they are my favorites Ciems, I have had both for almost a year and I rarely use the 8.A, also the 8.A are little hard to drive, problem that I don't have with the 4.A, I know you are deciding between the 8.A and JH 16, I can't comment on the Jh 16 since I don't own a pair but for what I have read they are bass heavy just like the 8.A, and must people will prefer the 8.A over the Jh 16, also remember that 8.A have a 20% off, and one of the main reason I decided to get the Heir Audio ones was because their EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE especially when you are making this kind of investment, e-mail them any question you have and you will know what I am talking about!, So if I were you, since you obviously have a good amount of money to invest in one of these ciems and  you listen to all kinds of music, I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE to get the  4.Ai (to listen to rock) which are universal and cost only $400 and you don't have to worry about sending impressions to China plus the time it's going to take them to build them and send them back to you, and with the rest of the money buy some custom ones (tuned for any kind of music mainly pop)   from companies based here in the United States like 1964ears they are not that expensive (they have a new model with six drivers at a good price), at the end you will have two iems for the same price of 8.A or JH 16, that's just my own opinion, or just pull the trigger and get the 8.A now that they have the discount! and by the way I hate portable amps that's one of the many reason I prefer the 4.A over the 8.A. I listen to my 8.A with my Sony Discman D-25 but If you happen to have a Sony Discman D-25 forget about everything I have said AND GET THE 8.A!!!!!!

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Thanks guys for your comments, really appreciate it. I'm not a basshead, and I know im going to get stoned for this but I'm not an amp person, just the iems and my ipod lol. portability XD. bump for more comments

Then you'd be wasting your money, which is a head-fi tradition.

The Sensaphonics 3MAX or 2MAX are much easier to drive than 8-ba customs. I've heard the 3MAX straight out of my ipod and it's better than harder-to-drive customs that way. The Heir Audio 4.A has been well-reviewed as well.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 13
I would trust Kunlun here about the amping and wasting your money... Even something small like the Arrow 4G doesn't really add much to your bulk but works wonders. Like Kunlun said, if you're getting either the 8.A or the JH16, it's kind of pointless to drive them out of an ipod. Either get a better source like the HM-601 or even better the HM-602, or add an amp... Don't want an amp? Don't waste money on a flagship CIEM then.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 13
 Both Heir and JH Audio have sales right now. Heir doesn't seem to have the 6a available so it sound that from those 2 lines, the jh13 would likely be your top choice. I'm waiting for a pair those personally but as Kunlun stated, there are other options. While I agree that an Ipod is somewhat limiting, I do know that the old version jh13 sounded better on one than anything else I listened to at a canjam I was at a couple years back.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I would trust Kunlun here about the amping and wasting your money... Even something small like the Arrow 4G doesn't really add much to your bulk but works wonders. Like Kunlun said, if you're getting either the 8.A or the JH16, it's kind of pointless to drive them out of an ipod. Either get a better source like the HM-601 or even better the HM-602, or add an amp... Don't want an amp? Don't waste money on a flagship CIEM then.

HM601 and HM602 use a same DAC so theoretically they are both should sound the same. the only difference is that you can use HM602 as USB-DAC
Rather than upgrading to ciem, I rather recommend you to first upgrade your source.
I'm using DX100, it is good, clear, natural, amped, and should be a great leap for an upgrade.

i'm not using both Heir nor JH so I could not give any opinion in the meanwhile, but I'm planning for an upgrade soon.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 13
In case this topic is still relevant feel free to ask if you have any specific questions regarding the two as I've owned both. I can't tell you which one is "better" though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back