Heil AMT Headphone - Did anyone hear @ WOH tour?
Jan 24, 2003 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Number9

100+ Head-Fier
These Ergo AMT headphones (which use the innovative Heil AMT driver) were listed as being on the truck for the Headroom World of Headphones tour in 2002.

Did anyone get a chance to listen to these?

Seems that very little is known about them.

9112CMERG-IMG-A2.jpg

Jan 24, 2003 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 11
I heard them in a local store. I liked its detailed and clean sound, although noticed the bass rolled off a bit in a similar way as with the Jecklin Float. But it was on unfamiliar equipment, and i had no comparison then. Anyway: it's the heaviest headphone I ever met! I couldn't live with its weight.

Jan 24, 2003 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 11
Look terrible, sound even worse. Unless they've changed them since Orlando.

Jan 24, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 11
They did sound bad. They're not the Jecklin Floats IIs, which I have and which do sound good.

Jan 24, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for sharing the knowledge. Consensus seems to be a big thumbs down.

You would figure better given the Heil is one of the best drivers ever developped. Obviously something went wrong here.

Jan 24, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Number9
Thanks for sharing the knowledge. Consensus seems to be a big thumbs down.

You would figure better given the Heil is one of the best drivers ever developped. Obviously something went wrong here.

Find the Float's instead, if you can.

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 11
http://www.h-navi.net/amt.htm

I think the specs here say something. The impedance of the AMT is 3 Ohms!!

That means it would require as much as 18mA of current for it to reach 100dB/1mW, and relatively low "swing" on the voltage.

These things need probably designated amps to sound "normal" for the least, as most headphone amps are not designed to deal with headphones at such low impedance.

perhaps this will pair well with a tube amp?

Jan 24, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 11
I tried them several times at the tour. I really liked the concept, so I kept going back to try to find some redeeming sound qualities. Unfortunately I couldn't. They had 3 or more pairs, one of which was paired with an amp made specifically for them. Better, but far outclassed by almost everything else there.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back