Hegel HD20,HD10,HD2 Impression Thread
Oct 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 27
I've got a Hegel HD20 as the heart of my new system. My first impressions: extremely smooth and fatigue-free, zero sibilance, absolutely dark background with instruments appearing out of nowhere and a relaxed semi-warm sound with the ability to go really propulsive when needed. It still shows bad records as they are, but it's a lot more forgiving than sources like Benchmark, without hiding the details. It just doesn't highlight the errors as much. There's just none of the usual harsh digital source tendencies here. Would be interesting to see what tube gear lovers think of the Hegel products.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #17 of 27
Hi guys,
I am just wonderig are there any differences in sound quality between HD10c and HD20 DACs? I mean the HD20 is slightly more expensive but it has built in display and preamp so are there any other changes and upgrades in "electronics department". Did anyone compare them at the same time in the same setup? Any comments?

Any commparations with M2Tech Young? Which one is "better"?

Thenx in advance!

Rocket

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #19 of 27
hi there,
is anybody using the Hegel as a pre? would love to know your impressions. I'm interested into looking into a new dac/pre and maybe this is a possibility. I've already got a great dac/pre (Camelot Uther with latest upgrades), but I guess I got the itch again. Was kind of looking into pricier dacs, but maybe this could be what I'm looking for. It would be driving my Gryphon amp directly. 
Here's my system chain: SB Touch (with Welborne PSU)>Camelot Uther 2.0>Gryphon 2/100>KEF Reference 201.2
ICs are balanced Zu Audio Varial Mk III, digital coax is Stereovox XV2, speaker cables are Argento Silver Cable and Boenicke and power cables are Rega (3x) and ASI Liveline.
Hope that someone can give me some input.
Best regards
André

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #20 of 27
Is it worth buying an old HD11 in these days?

Mar 22, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #21 of 27
Is it worth buying an old HD11 in these days?
Can't speak for the HD11 but I've been running the Hegel Super DAC lately and I'm impressed. I've also been using it as a pure DAC with my tube amp, with no issues whatsoever.
I feel these "older" higher-end DAC and amps have a lot to offer and that there was a reason they cost so much back in the day.

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #22 of 27
I was to late. HD11 sold.
Took a new Topping E30 instead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back