Hegel HD20,HD10,HD2 Impression Thread
Apr 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

mahesh

500+ Head-Fier
My new dac Hegel hd20
First impression..Great digital player,very relaxed sound, more to come......

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 27
Anxious to hear your further impressions on the HD20 DAC. We're still awaiting its arrival here in the US, and there's currently very limited user feedback. Based upon their previous less expensive DACs it certainly has the potential to be an exceptional performer. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance to potential buyers.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 27
Hegel has just started shipping in europe, hope they will soon in the us.
So far i am so impressed with hegel sound,very warm yet with lots of micro ditails,
Lush,exactly opposite of benchmark sound.
More to come...

Hey all Hegel Oweners out there with hd2,hd10,hd20, please post your impressions,advice,pics etc

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 27
I received my Hegel HD20 about a week ago. It took a few days to sound it's best but I agree, it has a very relaxed, open, and dynamic sound quality. The sound stage is very dimensional in comparison to my other processor. I like the toslink input better than the usb. It has a tighter, deeper bass and is more open sounding - less congested so instrument lines are easier to follow and vocal inflections are more noticeable also dynamics seem to be a lot less compressed. I have compared it to my Ayre QB9 and I like the toslink input on the Hegel better. It made the Ayre sound forward in the midrange - almost aggressive and again somewhat congested, some piano recordings and vocals sounded like a hard edge was present. It also made the bass on the Ayre sound kind of tubby. I've owned the QB9 for almost two years. Comparing usb to usb they were about the same - I think the Ayre is a little better in the sound stage area but it doesn't compare to the toslink input on the Hegel. I have not tried the coax inputs yet - I'll be doing that at a later date. Right now I have it attached to an Apple Express through the optical port using a Wireworld Supernova 6. The rest of the system is a Simaudio 600i, MIT Giant Killer speaker cables and either Wireworld Equinox 6 balanced or Supra Sword balanced interconnects. Speakers are modified Opera Loudspeakers Callas Diva. Other speakers used were diy JBL 123a/Heil 2 ways. Computer is Macbook Pro running 10.6.7 and iTunes 10.2.3. Files used were all wav files imported from cd and some 24/96 demo track downloads from LessLoss.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 27
Great you like Hegel hd20!!
I am using Kimber ag usb,Stealth Pgs 8 balanced interconnects connected to Adam S1x powered monitors.Macpro- Itunes-pure music, i haven't tried  coax or optical yet.
My Benchmark dac 1 usb,which has neutral sounding dac with very upfront midrange ,with a lots of terrible energy, which can sound aggressive. But Hegel sounds different , very warm sound with silky terrible, non fatiguating sound, which i can listen whole day ,while working, which was impossible with benchmark. I don't want to say that benchmark sounds bad, I enjoyed lots of music through benchmark for last two years, but i was looking for something else, more relaxed sound,deeper and wider soundstage, non-fatiguing terrible, fuller bass, warm mid range ,Hegel offered me all that......
I am enjoying Hegel.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 27
It looks like you are using a Mac. One of the thinks I like about their computers is that the headphone jack is also an optical output. All you really need is a mini to toslink cable and you are ready to go. I looks like your speakers use a Heil based driver and an Eton bass mid - very revealing drivers. I really like the Hegel and I think you have described the sound exactly as I hear it. I'm probably going to sell the Ayre sometime soon. I forgot to mention I'm in the United States and got mine from ListenUp. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 27
Thank you for your suggestion
Yes i am using Mac pro ,today i tried with optical cable, after listening a while i preferred Usb, but soon ill upgrade my cable usb ,  coax cable with m2tech hiFace.
I am in France and i think i should be the first buyer in France
atsmile.gif

But i am worried about the remote control,if i loose or break ,Do you think that i can ask for another one? hope so..
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 27
I tried the coax1 input this weekend using a friend's Wadia iTransport 171, a Stereovox coax cable and an iPod Classic. The coax input opened the sound a little more than the toslink input with better detail in the lower midrange and upper bass areas. It wasn't a huge difference but one that I could tell was there. So to list the inputs in my preference order - coax1, toslink, and then usb.

I'm a little concerned with the remote but I only use it to change inputs and with the toslink input being the only one I use, I don't see changing it very often if ever. Still, it is the only way to change the input function as well as change the volume if being used as a dac/pre. I've thought about ordering a spare one just to be on the safe side.

Good luck with you new setup, let us know how the hiFace/coax interface works out.

May 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 27
Hi
it's written Delta sigma multilavel dac on their website.
 Analog Devices AD195?????
Whatever chip inside but it sounds really good.

May 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
I tried the coax1 input this weekend using a friend's Wadia iTransport 171, a Stereovox coax cable and an iPod Classic. The coax input opened the sound a little more than the toslink input with better detail in the lower midrange and upper bass areas. It wasn't a huge difference but one that I could tell was there. So to list the inputs in my preference order - coax1, toslink, and then usb.

I'm a little concerned with the remote but I only use it to change inputs and with the toslink input being the only one I use, I don't see changing it very often if ever. Still, it is the only way to change the input function as well as change the volume if being used as a dac/pre. I've thought about ordering a spare one just to be on the safe side.

Good luck with you new setup, let us know how the hiFace/coax interface works out.

Hi I will try with a new usb cable ,its synergistic recherche tesla tricon usb. if i am not satisfied then ill try Stereovox coax.
But till nowi am completely satisfied with hegel hd 20 but i still think and hope to improve SQ with new cables.

May 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 27
For those that may be interested in seeing some reviews of the HD20, Hegel has just posted a couple on their site at: http://www.hegel.com/hd20_rev.htm . They have included some excerpts in English but the provided PDF files are scanned images, making online translations difficult.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 27
I have heard the Raga DAC vs. the Hegel HD10 and the former is more exciting. However:

I've had my HD10 for some time and have no plans to sell it. Reason? I think it is so well balanced that I can listen for hours with it in the signal path without any fatigue. The rest of the system is V200 from Violectric (amp) and some different headphones. 

Living in Norway there´s Hegel on "every corner".

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 27
Not to worry :) I have an logitech universall controll,and have installed hd20 on it,and it works just fine :D So now i have the original in reserve :wink:

I`ve had hd20 for an week now,and have also ordered the hd2 for use between pc with usb to hd2,and then coaxial from hd2 to hd20.Then i can get full advantage of hd 20 and the coaxial 1 input,wich gives the best sound/result.I sent an email to hegel about this and they answered :  

Coax1 is clearly better, yes.  We know that the HD2 as converter between USB and Coax1 works very well. You also get an extra round of Hegel's jitter reduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back