Heeeelllp! The Usual Suspects Plus...!!
Feb 18, 2008 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Earwicker

Head-Fier
OK, I'm still finding my feet in the headphone world - travelling the path from audiophile hi-fi separates to headphones with a PC as source.

Thanks to some helpful and friendly people here, I chose Sennheiser HD595s, and their wise counsel has proved sound: I love them! I listen to classical music and their natural balance is just the ticket.

I then couldn't resist upgrading my X-Fi XtremeMusic to the sublimely wonderful Auzentech Prelude... which is just stunning.

Now - waddayayknow!? - I'm after an amp. I can't listen to them all, so it's going to have to be another judgement call, so I'm looking for advice please.

My shortlist is:

One of the Creeks - is the OBH-21SE worth the extra money over the standard version OBH-21 and the OBH-11?

The Rega Ear - Pretty much same price as the OBH-21 - which do you think would suit my cans? I like a natural balance, and I'm keen on resolution.

Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 - Looks a beast, but I'd rather stay solid state if poss - nonetheless, if this is really that good...? Seems to have a VAST amount of power - too much for my 595s?

Additionally, due to the superior cheapness, I'm interested in professional products - the Presonus HP4 has caught my eye: it's good on paper and it's chuffin' cheap! Any thoughts? Are the hi-fi products worth the outlay, given that my cans aren't going to put the fear of god into ANY amp?

Any other recommendations circa 200 - 500 USD...??? Must be readily available in the UK though.

Thanks!!

EW

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 17
i thought this username was already taken
confused.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 17
I can't comment on your other options, but I recently bought an X-Can V3 and HD650's and have been very pleased with the results. I bought the X-Can used on eBay. There are usually one or two for sale in the UK at any time.

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by noddyisking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't comment on your other options, but I recently bought an X-Can V3 and HD650's and have been very pleased with the results. I bought the X-Can used on eBay. There are usually one or two for sale in the UK at any time.

Do they run seriously hot? How do you find the bass - IIRC the bass is rolled off at ~ 30 Hz??

Thanks

EW

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they run seriously hot? How do you find the bass - IIRC the bass is rolled off at ~ 30 Hz??

Thanks

EW

The X-can V3 is very good. It does not run hot at all. And I don't know how you came to think the bass is rolled-off.
Besides: for very little money you can do some easy tube rolling to tune it to your specific taste and/or phones.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 17
I'm leaning towards the OBH-21SE or the Ear, but I'm still interested to hear from anyone with experience of the Presonus HP4 - on paper, you'd have to say it was pretty good...

Anyone had a chance to compare the Rega & Creek(s)? Or have any other suggestions? Those Firestone Cute amps look... well, cute, but they're a bit expensive here in the UK, for what they are.

Thanks,

EW

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks

EW

Cold to touch and on 24/7. Bass is great to my ears. The X-Can has loads of mods/upgrades and alternative tubes if you are into that type of thing. Look at the Rockgrotto forum for lots of info on this and fit to various headphones.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 17
Don't be afraid of tubes, especially in the X-Can.

Anyway, the great thing about this hobby is that if you don't like something you've bought, you can always sell it again here quite easily.

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 17
I agree the 595s does symphomies great but I'm enjoying the yammy/AD2000 more for chamber music. Just to complicate matters, I have the opposite view of gz76 above; I don't like the 595s with tubes. Maybe it's my yammy's preference for low impedence AT phones but the bloomy bass of the 595s on my yammy is unlistenable; flabby and uncontrolled. The phone is much more listenable on SS IMO. Maybe it's the german thing but the 595 and Aria sound great. Lots of clean extension etc.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after you get an amp, you'd want to get a DAC too
tongue.gif
I have the prelude but the USB DAC in my Pico is loads better. I guess for a sound card its not bad but not great either

The output from the Auzentech is as good as anything out there, but you're down to digital volume attenuation and of course it won't have the power of a dedicated amp...

So I'm going to buy one!

Ideally I'd have a DAC1, but they're rather expensive and I'm increasingly poor these days!
frown.gif

EW

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 17
I did a lot of research on this last November/December and ended up going for for the Paradisea+ DAC from Mhdt Labs. There are lots of threads and reviews on various sites. However, if you are now buying a DAC and headphone amp you should consider the combined units from Meier-Audio, the Corda Cantate and Corda Opera. I have no direct experience but they are highly recommended by reviewers and users. I recently bought a Corda Headsix from them and I found Jan meier extremely helpful over the phone. I suggest you give him a call and discuss your options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back