Heed CanAmp + 595's = lackluster Bass - Need advice please
Jan 9, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your sig says you've got an Ayre AX-7e, so you must be having a laugh here.
rolleyes.gif

don't quite understand this. ayre doesn't have a headphone out
wink.gif
Ayre can't do anything else besides being the best freaking integrated I have ever heard
k1000smile.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There you go, someone who hasn't heard the heed telling you what it sounds like in his opinion,lol
rs1smile.gif

After you heard enough of the designs you can "IMAGINE" what heed can sound like
3000smile.gif

but everyone knows that already .............right?
lambda.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After you heard enough of the designs you can "IMAGINE" what heed can sound like
3000smile.gif

but everyone knows that already .............right?
lambda.gif

Well you are simply WRONG! And you should know better than making generalized statements about audio amplifiers preformance no matter how much you can defend your opinion within your imagination. Either you're trying to be misleading for some alterior motive or else you are simply mistaken in this one example. In any event you are wrong in this case. Got it Cheesy!lol
biggrin.gif
rs1smile.gif

Is English your native language, or perhaps you are under the influance maybe?

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ayre can't do anything else besides being the best freaking integrated I have ever heard
k1000smile.gif

Ah, then you really should know better than to postulate that a lower-end NAD integrated phone-out will equal a properly-designed, dedicated headphone amplifier in the same price-range that you have never even heard.

I have heard the phone-out of the 320BEE and it's nothing to write home about.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #20 of 27
The Heed CanAmp is a fantastic headphone amp. One which easily outperforms any amp in its price range I have listened to, as well as some above. The bass is tight, the treble extension is fantastic, and it soundstage is three dimensional. Very few amps come close in the under $750 MSRP. IMO of course.

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 27
For what it is worth, I had a similar experience in reverse with the HD595s when I first got them: plugged into a receiver (HK460i receiver, known to be on the bright side) and BOOM! big round accentuated bass. After some experimentation, I discovered the issue was impedance matching - the 50 ohm 595 when driven from a high impedance headphone out (like the older HK) goes boomy in the mid-bass in a none-too-subtle way. I nearly returned the 595s in disgust. I suspect that you became used to the accentuated bass that occurs in this situation, then upon switching to the HEED (or probably any decent quality low impedance output headamp) the 595s returned to their more balance FR. IF this is the case, and assuming you do not come to prefer the more balanced sound of the 595 when driven by a low impedance amp, then EQ or bass heavy cans might be the best suggestion as folks have mentioned.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it is worth, I had a similar experience in reverse with the HD595s when I first got them: plugged into a receiver (HK460i receiver, known to be on the bright side) and BOOM! big round accentuated bass. After some experimentation, I discovered the issue was impedance matching - the 50 ohm 595 when driven from a high impedance headphone out (like the older HK) goes boomy in the mid-bass in a none-too-subtle way. I nearly returned the 595s in disgust. I suspect that you became used to the accentuated bass that occurs in this situation, then upon switching to the HEED (or probably any decent quality low impedance output headamp) the 595s returned to their more balance FR. IF this is the case, and assuming you do not come to prefer the more balanced sound of the 595 when driven by a low impedance amp, then EQ or bass heavy cans might be the best suggestion as folks have mentioned.

Excellent post, and spot on experience with these neutral balanced somewhat bass light 595s... I bet Jon will be suprised by the BASS
basshead.gif
and soundstage of the 990pros with the Heed and even at the PC ;-}

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #24 of 27
Hi I'm A former 595 and A recnt 650 owner,
Bass is good on both Headphones, but beeing Headphones they will never replace the vibrations you expierence from A 5.1 Subwoofer! That are sensed by Your whole body.
DVD Operas Like Wagners Parsifal are A thrilling perfomance to watch and hear with the 650's because of their range, But 5.1 Cinema like Pete Jacksons King Kong is somewhat Dissapointing, The Gorilla sounds more like A Mouse that roars!

Don't know your budget but 650's are overpriced&Kill for TV/DVD!
Look for some good Surround Headphones I would say.
Or if home situation alows, A 5.1 speaker set!

Regards,

Kees Jan

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #25 of 27
MuziekMuzak wrote: Quote:

Don't know your budget but 650's are overpriced&Kill for TV/DVD!

Well I couldn't disagree more. I use the 650s with a Earmax pro for both music and movies. DVD and HD are a totally immersive experience. I've watched a HD version of King Kong whilst listening through cans and the sound quality was stunning - especially where the motley crew are at sea; the waves crashing against the boat were incredibly realistic.

I'd say the 650s are perfect for movies since they reveal bags of detail, yet have amazing slam when required.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #26 of 27
Hi

Just wanted to say thanks for everyones input and to tell you the outcome..

I purchased the Beyer DT990 Pro's as suggested by Hi-Finthen. I set it all up how I wanted and plugged those cans into the Heed CanAmp.. The cans definitely deliver on Bass with the Heed CanAmp
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a little puzzling because the 595's that I have, give out great bass on my PC, but not so much on the Heed - But then, the 595's on the PC are used for music and the DT990's with the CanAmp are for TV/DVD viewing...not sure if that has anything to do with it..

All in all, it's worked out a treat

Thanks again everyone

Jon

Edit: Oops, sorry I didn't see there was a second page! Yes you're right TomH, I think I got used to the heavy bass with the 595's on my integrated amp.. But the hissing was terrible.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny5alv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

Just wanted to say thanks for everyones input and to tell you the outcome..

I purchased the Beyer DT990 Pro's as suggested by Hi-Finthen. I set it all up how I wanted and plugged those cans into the Heed CanAmp.. The cans definitely deliver on Bass with the Heed CanAmp
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a little puzzling because the 595's that I have, give out great bass on my PC, but not so much on the Heed - But then, the 595's on the PC are used for music and the DT990's with the CanAmp are for TV/DVD viewing...not sure if that has anything to do with it..

All in all, it's worked out a treat

Thanks again everyone

Jon

Edit: Oops, sorry I didn't see there was a second page! Yes you're right TomH, I think I got used to the heavy bass with the 595's on my integrated amp.. But the hissing was terrible.

Hi Jon,
Glad to hear for your purposes the USD$170. 990pro / Heed CanAmp now delivers the BASS
basshead.gif
response meeting your expectations. The Beyers soundstage should be excellent for pinpointing in games useage also.

As we enthusiast, all like to learn here furthering our understanding of headphones and how they compare, I am still puzzled by the Bass response you are getting over the PC. The 595s are generally regarded as a balanced, biased slightly to the brighter side of neutral and not at all known for their bass output IMO. I am wondering if you have the EQ turned on, with bass boost of some sort in your music playback PC control panel? Which is fine if that's what anyone chooses to do to enjoy their music like they like it. But you can understand our curiosity in resolving our expectations of the Heed amplifier and its bass response, and also the expectations of the 595 and even the 990pro for future referance and recommendations.
Have you tried the 990pro thru the PC? And could you check into your EQ settings for our enlightenment to resolve my/our curiosity?

Best regards~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back