HED Unity wireless & lossless (WiFi up to 24bit/96kHz + BT 5.2 mode) headphones
Apr 22, 2023 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

davidmolliere

Headphoneus Supremus
I have looked up but found no thread or mention of this on the forums.
Those were feature at NAMM 2023 :
Forgive me if search failed me there...

So let me start a thread as it's a very interesting product coming up from a swiss start-up (https://www.getunity.com/).

I know the audiophile bunch might be wary of a wireless 2K+ headphones but bear with me here. Focal Bathys and a couple of products are making wireless headphones more and more interesting although it's still no match to wired headphones with an amp the convenience factor and wider uses makes it an interesting proposition.

Unity certainly does feature a beautiful futuristic look but there is more to it... the claim is that "Unity is the first wireless headset in the world that features Full-Fidelity™. The new Full-Fidelity™ standard streams true lossless audio over Wi-Fi."

1682203768352.png
1682203985309.png

Those babies earcups are precision milled from a single block of 6063 architectural-grade aluminum alloy and combined with a vibration-reducing, super rigid carbon fiber-infused nylon chassis. Pads are made from sound isolating memory foam with cooling gel and velvet-soft microfiber, not sure if they can be removed or are magnetically attached which would be great given the price. I'll ask.

1682204163023.png

The headphones can connect to your NAS devices, DLNA, UPnP and files :

1682204229794.png

There is an app of course for both iOS and Android but also a "Multisource Music Player" that probably is barebones "Roon" (now the question is will it support it...)

1682204846995.png

Note that there is contradictory info there as it says 24/192 compared to the previous slide with 24/96.
Not that it matters at least to me since 24/96 wireless is plenty good enough.

On the go you can still use BT and there is ANC.

1682204293084.png

Battery life does take a hit compared to the usual BT headphones but hat was to be expected but quick 5+ mn charge gives you an hour and full charge is 90mn.

1682204428613.png

As for drivers, Unity remains in the very standard 40mm driver, in this case titanium like Beo H95 high end BT headphone.

1682204596359.png

Full spec for those who kept reading until then :wink:

1682204682600.png

As for accessories, given the price Unity went (as they should given the premium) full fledge :

1682204938995.png

1682204965575.png

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 11
2000 and 6-8 hours battery life?... What?
Well can't expect full new hires lossless feature and not take a hit on battery life or it would have meant making the headphone heavy which would have meant compromising it's mobility. Can't have it all :p

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Well can't expect full new hires lossless feature and not take a hit on battery life or it would have meant making the headphone heavy which would have meant compromising it's mobility. Can't have it all :p
I get it, but doesn't that kind of kill the concept in the first place? For Wifi Hires, maybe such a short time can be understood, but the same duration in BT, that sounds real short to me, especially considering the paucity of codecs offered. Anyway, such big bucks for a set of cans that's gonna be kaput in 2-3 years (battery, considering the price of the cans themselves, is gonna be costly to have changed if at all possible) escapes me a bit.

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 11
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you played off the wifi hi-res from your phone that means your phone won't be able to access internet is that right? Meaning you'll have to use BT on either SBC or AAC which are pretty old codecs unless you're willing to sacrifice not having internet in exchange for listening to music when out and about.

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 11
I get it, but doesn't that kind of kill the concept in the first place? For Wifi Hires, maybe such a short time can be understood, but the same duration in BT, that sounds real short to me, especially considering the paucity of codecs offered. Anyway, such big bucks for a set of cans that's gonna be kaput in 2-3 years (battery, considering the price of the cans themselves, is gonna be costly to have changed if at all possible) escapes me a bit.
Yeah that's a fair point for sure, as any bleeding edge product that tries to create a new segment, some items are a question mark in terms of how viable the product is and at this price point that's an excellent question. Replaceable battery is a must on such a device.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you played off the wifi hi-res from your phone that means your phone won't be able to access internet is that right? Meaning you'll have to use BT on either SBC or AAC which are pretty old codecs unless you're willing to sacrifice not having internet in exchange for listening to music when out and about.
I am not sure you can still enjoy WiFi quality sound while on the go using your phone as an access point, interesting question. It would not mean you couldn't access the internet though. Unity is a WiFi Devices like any other from what I gather so it's not unlike sharing your data to other devices in this regard. Now this means your phone battery life will take a hit. But you sure can have a strong connexion at least in Paris Metro 5G is available so streaming turning my iPhone into an access point would work.

Last thing, Unity has 16GB onboard memory so you can also have local files to play hires if I am not mistaken. That's not much memory but still...

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 11
I have looked up but found no thread or mention of this on the forums.
Those were feature at NAMM 2023 :
Forgive me if search failed me there...

So let me start a thread as it's a very interesting product coming up from a swiss start-up (https://www.getunity.com/).

I know the audiophile bunch might be wary of a wireless 2K+ headphones but bear with me here. Focal Bathys and a couple of products are making wireless headphones more and more interesting although it's still no match to wired headphones with an amp the convenience factor and wider uses makes it an interesting proposition.

Unity certainly does feature a beautiful futuristic look but there is more to it... the claim is that "Unity is the first wireless headset in the world that features Full-Fidelity™. The new Full-Fidelity™ standard streams true lossless audio over Wi-Fi."

1682203768352.png1682203985309.png

Those babies earcups are precision milled from a single block of 6063 architectural-grade aluminum alloy and combined with a vibration-reducing, super rigid carbon fiber-infused nylon chassis. Pads are made from sound isolating memory foam with cooling gel and velvet-soft microfiber, not sure if they can be removed or are magnetically attached which would be great given the price. I'll ask.

1682204163023.png

The headphones can connect to your NAS devices, DLNA, UPnP and files :

1682204229794.png

There is an app of course for both iOS and Android but also a "Multisource Music Player" that probably is barebones "Roon" (now the question is will it support it...)

1682204846995.png

Note that there is contradictory info there as it says 24/192 compared to the previous slide with 24/96.
Not that it matters at least to me since 24/96 wireless is plenty good enough.

On the go you can still use BT and there is ANC.

1682204293084.png

Battery life does take a hit compared to the usual BT headphones but hat was to be expected but quick 5+ mn charge gives you an hour and full charge is 90mn.

1682204428613.png

As for drivers, Unity remains in the very standard 40mm driver, in this case titanium like Beo H95 high end BT headphone.

1682204596359.png

Full spec for those who kept reading until then :wink:

1682204682600.png

As for accessories, given the price Unity went (as they should given the premium) full fledge :

1682204938995.png
1682204965575.png

I was just recently thinking about this idea, why just not use wifi instead of Bluetooth? But the battery life and heat is a problem. Very interesting product for sure.

May 3, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 11
I should be getting a pair to try out soon, Will report back

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 11
Sep 6, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #10 of 11
Here we go .. 1st review. Not very reassuring

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back