Heavy Classical Music
May 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #76 of 94
Well you can hear the master himself play now Rach play Rach (Well almost) 
http://www.zenph.com/shop/rachmaninoff-plays-rachmaninoff

Take a trip back in time and listen as Sergei Rachmaninoff, one of history's great composers plays his own compositions with power and tenderness.

Performers: Sergei Rachmaninoff (Piano)
Recorded: 2009, Kenan Recital Hall, Peace College, Raleigh, North Carolina
Released: 2009, RCA Records

Overview

Zenph CEO John Q. Walker has a personal connection to Rachmaninoff in that his piano teacher, Ruth Slenczynska, was one of only two students Rachmaninoff ever took on in America. In a sense, Zenph owes its existence to Rachmaninoff. Dr. Walker explains, "Taking lessons from Ms. Slenczynska, I understood right away the long journey it would take to ever achieve the impossible goal of playing like Rachmaninoff, so I wanted a short cut. I wanted to hear Rachmaninoff play live in the room with me even though he had long since passed away. That germ of an idea, became my passion for creating Zenph."

This Zenph re-performance® was recorded in April 2009 using a 1909 Steinway D SE Concert Grand. Thanks to a world-class recording team, the sound of that wonderful instrument comes through beautifully as does the artistry of Rachmaninoff. Every touch of every note from 13 of Rachmaninoff's original 78 rpm records is lovingly re-discovered and re-performed thanks to revolutionary new software which perfectly recreates Rachmaninoff’s playing dynamics. His signature attacks, velocity, pitch, duration, and interpretive pedaling nuances are all on display here allowing the listener to fully enjoy the color and dynamic range of Rachmaninoff’s exquisite playing.

Production Notes

Having completed our scientific analysis of these thirteen original Rachmaninoff performances, the 29,900 notes and associated pedal motions are now ready for a musical analysis. For the first time it is possible to look at the best of “raw” Rachmaninoff, not altered by anyone (as was the case with his piano roll recordings, where he and Edgar Fairchild of Ampico would remove all the “wrong holes”). Although they reflect only a small part of Rachmaninoff’s 150 recordings for Edison and Victor, these tracks provide an excellent overview of his musical and pianistic breadth. More importantly, listening to these re-performances of the originals in modern sound will, perhaps, remind today’s pianists of a musical aesthetic that has seemingly been forgotten –especially Rachmaninoff’s aesthetic, as it applies to his own works.

Too often we hear performances of Rachmaninoff’s concert stage “war horses” – be they Études-tableaux, the Préludes, or the Moments musicaux – played with a heavy use of pedal, unbearable rubato and other Romantic excesses (in the worst sense of the word). Listening to these recordings, it does not take long to realize that Rachmaninoff’s performances display none of these characteristics.

His pedaling is sparse rather than heavy and his texture remarkably transparent (something that can sometimes be hard to hear through the noise artifacts of the original recordings). The timing of the melodic phrasing and harmonic rhythm reveals structured concepts devoid of cheap effects and meandering sentimentalism.
This disc presents each piece from two perspectives: an exceptional stereo version places you near the front of the audience while Rachmaninoff plays, and an intimate binaural stereo version seats you on the bench next to him.

And there is never any bashing.

Comparing the loudness numbers in these re-performance files with performances of some of the same works made on the same piano by modern-day pianists shows the difference clearly: today’s performances are generally “heavier.” As an added challenge to our efforts, we had to consider the difference between the original piano and the acoustics of his recording studios. In each case, a balance was struck between maintaining a natural touch and attaining the dynamics that we hear on the old originals, since, given a large piano and a live room, little force is needed to produce a loud tone.

The thirteen binaural tracks – the second half of this recording – are tailored for a headphone listening experience, as if heard from the perspective of the pianist. Binaural recordings are made with two small omnidirectional microphones placed in the entrance to the ear canals of an artificial head. We positioned the dummy head at the piano bench, so that a headphone listener would be able to get inside Rachmaninoff's head, to hear what he might have heard as he sat at the piano.

Overall, our goal has been one of extracting this master’s inimitable musicianship from the confines of his dated original recordings, and thus, whether through new recordings or live re-performances, to let more audiences become intimately familiar with the sound produced by those unique fingers.

May 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #77 of 94
Firstly this is way off topic. This thread is about "Heavy Classical Music" which does imply an orchestra and even if that's not necessary it surely excludes solo piano etudes, preludes, lullabies and similar.

Secondly this is not Rachmaninov playing. It's not even much like Rachmaninov playing. It is some kind of parody or travesty. It's someone looking to make a buck by purporting to recreate a Rachmaninov performance. It is an exhibition of salesmanship, not musical virtuosity. I would very strongly recommend anyone interested in this kind of "re performance" look at the review http://www.amazon.com/review/R15NAPQB1J06PF/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R15NAPQB1J06PF

There are historical recordings of Rachmaninov available at very reasonable price from Naxos and there are also excellent modern piano roll recordings. Any of those is preferable to a gold digging misrepresentation.

Probably the best thing would be to split this post and the preceding post/advertisement from this thread so as not to derail it.

May 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #78 of 94
Quote:
Firstly this is way off topic. This thread is about "Heavy Classical Music" which does imply an orchestra and even if that's not necessary it surely excludes solo piano etudes, preludes, lullabies and similar.

Secondly this is not Rachmaninov playing. It's not even much like Rachmaninov playing. It is some kind of parody or travesty. It's someone looking to make a buck by purporting to recreate a Rachmaninov performance. It is an exhibition of salesmanship, not musical virtuosity. I would very strongly recommend anyone interested in this kind of "re performance" look at the review http://www.amazon.com/review/R15NAPQB1J06PF/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R15NAPQB1J06PF

There are historical recordings of Rachmaninov available at very reasonable price from Naxos and there are also excellent modern piano roll recordings. Any of those is preferable to a gold digging misrepresentation.

Probably the best thing would be to split this post and the preceding post/advertisement from this thread so as not to derail it.

I agree. I find the Zenph recordings like a composition software playing back to me.... So cold and soulless....

But there are some serious heavy solo instrumental music.

Bach Chaconne (Busoni) as well as for solo violin (I prefer the former as I am a pianist :D)
Liszt sonata in B Minor
Chopin Ballade No. 4

Max Reger on the organ. The sheet music is more black than white (not an exaggeration)... people think rachmaninoff has lots of notes? Think again :p

Suprised nobody has mentioned Wagner. His orchestral works are so heavy..... lol

May 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #81 of 94
Tchaikovsky's last 3 symphonies, his 4th, 5th and 6th, have some very "heavy" moments, some of the most intense from the second part of the 19th century. You can't go wrong with most of the usual suspects, such as Wagner and Mahler. I would also say that the 4th movement of Dvorak's 9th symphony has a few moments that are downright scary in their intensity:

May 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #82 of 94
Quote:
Tchaikovsky's last 3 symphonies, his 4th, 5th and 6th, have some very "heavy" moments, some of the most intense from the second part of the 19th century. You can't go wrong with most of the usual suspects, such as Wagner and Mahler. I would also say that the 4th movement of Dvorak's 9th symphony has a few moments that are downright scary in their intensity:

All of Shostakovich's symphonies are heavy and dark. A musical satirisation of the oppressive Stalinist regimes.

May 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #84 of 94
Quote:
It wasn't a Stalinist regime, it was Stalin's actual regime
biggrin.gif

I don't think you can make a case for any of the symphonies being parody or satire except maybe the eighth and ninth, which some people interpret this way. They might be wrong.

Number 5, 6 and 10 have significant insinuations. Especially the march section in 5. The most obvious is Lady Macbeth of the Mtsenk District from the War Symphonies which directly pissed off Stalin. Shostakovich had balls. Speaking of which, nobody seems to have mentioned Prokofiev here?

May 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #86 of 94
Quote:
Prokofiev Symphony 1 - the Classical is just awesome. I don't know if many would call it heavy per se, but it is definitely one of my favorite pieces of music ever. Not to be unheard!

+1

His piano Concerto number 2. A monumental work. 

May 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #90 of 94
Quote:
I would argue this would give your nominations a good fight.

The beautiful hexachord sonata. :)
While we are at Beethoven, nobody mentioned the Diabelli Variations! Nor any of his sublime piano concertos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back