Heavy Classical Music
Aug 24, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #46 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one has mentioned Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique?

The fourth movement is a musical representation of an execution, dreamt of by a man heavily sedated by opium. When we covered this in my colledge music history course, even the kids who were generally bored to tears sat up and listened.

Just bought a version of this yesterday -- Cincinnati, SACD, binaural -- based on (I think) Uncle Erik's recommendation.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #47 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cincinnati, SACD, binaural

Always wondered what binaural meant....wikipedia is quite confusing at times...something to do with headphones only?

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #48 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always wondered what binaural meant....wikipedia is quite confusing at times...something to do with headphones only?

Binaural recordings are indeed intended for headphones only; they do not reproduce properly through loudspeakers.

Binaural recordings are made with a technology that much more closely simulates the spatial imaging of natural hearing, when compared to conventional recordings.

The recordings are made with microphones placed on either side of a physical model of a human head. The mics are placed in the "ears" of the model. Because the mics are separated by the physical mass of the "head" on which they are mounted, the results simulate very closely the placement of actual human ears, which of course are separated and isolated from one another by an actual human head.

There are many good examples of binaural recordings floating around here at Head-fi. Probably the most dramatic is a skit, involving music and conversation, that simulates a visit to a barber shop. Sounds are vividly placed in space, with pinpoint locational accuracy.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #49 of 94
Very interesting....can't believe I never really caught on. When you say they don't reproduce properly through speakers, do you mean they sound wrong spatially?

Any links? I'm very interested in hearing what it sounds like. How is it different than regular stereo?

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #50 of 94
Quote:

Very interesting....can't believe I never really caught on. When you say they don't reproduce properly through speakers, do you mean they sound wrong spatially?

Exactly, and the tonal balance can sound wierd also.

Quote:

Any links? I'm very interested in hearing what it sounds like. How is it different than regular stereo?

I'm trying to find a good link to the Virtual Haircut; I'll post it as soon as I track it down.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #51 of 94
This post lists a slew of musical and non-musical binaural recordings.

This link is from that post; it's a direct download link to the Virtual Haircut file. Try some of the others in the thread; some of this stuff is truly mind-blowing.

Notes:

1) The OP of this thread describes all of the links included as free and legal. I have no reason to doubt that, but I have not tested every link in the thread.

2) I did test the direct download link to the Virtual Haircut (about five minutes ago) and it downloaded and played without incident.

Let me know what you think.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #52 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by larki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that, Prokofiev is amazing! The Argerich/Dutoit CD you mentioned is one of my favorites as well.

The darkest of the piano concertos is certainly the second one. In it Prokofiev deals with the suicide of a friend. Just check out the long cadenza in the first movement, and then the reentry of the orchestra...incredible. My favorite performances of the second concerto on CD are the one by Horacio Gutierrez with Jervi, and the Ashkenazy one with Previn and the LSO.

Ooooo--I'm going to have to check that out.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Slightly OT: Although not particularly dark, I have to mention Prokofiev's Sinfonia Concertante for Cello and Orchestra, which is a piece that I think is usually underrated. If you are getting into Prokofiev, have a look at this piece! Of course one can't go wrong with Rostropovich's recording of it, but I really like the recent CD by Han-Na Chang with Pappano and the LSO, which happens to have an amazing sound quality as well.

Other dark music I enjoy very much are Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony, Berlioz' Sinfonie Fantastique (big parts of it are not very dark or heavy, but the last two movements do rock hard!), Liszt's Faust Symphony (the Mephisto Movement is pretty dark), Bernstein's Second Symphony, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.
As already mentioned, there are lots of dark pieces in chamber music as well, and they can also be heavy...for example Prokofiev's late piano sonatas, Liszt's piano sonata, some of Bartok's string quartets, some of Shostakovich's String quartets, Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time (dark!).

More great suggestions--some of which I've heard but aren't in my library yet. This thread could get expensive.
wink_face.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #53 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This post lists a slew of musical and non-musical binaural recordings.

This link is from that post; it's a direct download link to the Virtual Haircut file. Try some of the others in the thread; some of this stuff is truly mind-blowing.

Notes:

1) The OP of this thread describes all of the links included as free and legal. I have no reason to doubt that, but I have not tested every link in the thread.

2) I did test the direct download link to the Virtual Haircut (about five minutes ago) and it downloaded and played without incident.

Let me know what you think.

eek.gif
icon10.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
regular_smile .gif
eek.gif

Virtual Haircut was amazing....

So how much music is binaural these days? (scrambling to find all of them...)

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #54 of 94
Quote:

eek.gif
icon10.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
regular_smile .gif
eek.gif

Virtual Haircut was amazing....

So how much music is binaural these days? (scrambling to find all of them...)

It's never really been a mainstream technology; definitely check out the other links in that thread -- there are lots of them, and some of the classical recordings are as mind boggling as the haircut.

P.S. This is pretty off-topic (my fault; apologies to the OP.) If you want to respond, please PM me.

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #56 of 94
If you are looking for intensity in an emotional way then it has to be Schubert's String Quintet in C major.  The Adagio is probably the most beautiful piece of music ever written
I prefer the version with the great Mstislav Rostropovich and the Emerson String Quartet

There is a good performance on youtube but its not Rosrtapovich!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmeOkfhkqa4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbOKlBFVHNM&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoM46I4PBVM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngcjXOU2Rt0

If its heavy, dark and intense you are looking for then Stravinsky's Rite OF Spring Valery Gergiev kirov orchestra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUk8T-M6IdE

If your taste is modern then Goretsky Symphony of sorrowful songs

or for excitement and intensity John Adams A short ride in a fast machine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi4A9bPDvTc or Shaker Loops or the Wound dresser

For Really Heavy but romantic try Anton Bruckner's 4th Symphony

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #57 of 94
What a wonderful thread. So many appropriate recommendations. I think between you all you have listed almost  all of my favourite classical music. I have every one of the items mentioned. I don't like to think of the music as 'Dark'. The music mentioned sometimes has a very dark theme but not always. The music is very intense though and very emotional . I listen to this type of music when I want to be MOVED rather than entertained.

It is also good to be entertained. Classical music of this variety would need a different thread though.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #58 of 94

THIS WILL FRIGHTEN YOU TO DEATH.

YOU WANT SCARY, THIS IS SCARY CLASSICAL MASTERPIECES

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Ages-Scary-Classical-Masters/dp/B006ZM4CWO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1356041826&sr=1-1&keywords=dark+ages+scary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back