Heat gun vs lighter for easing clamp
May 10, 2020 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jenkinsontherun

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I was just wondering, for those with above-average head sizes, whether you have tried taking a heat gun to the headband to loosen it.

I would probably take a thick textbook, lay it horizontally, and use it as a wedge to open my headphones. Now, I will take a heat gun for a few seconds to loosen the headband.

How much better is this, than say, a lighter?

Thanks!

May 10, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 13
Heat gun is quite a bit safer let alone you have better temp control. Before doing any of this you could just put your headphones on a full-sized tissue box when not in use. This will reduce the clamping force if that is what is bothering you.

Takes 10 days to loosen them up fully.

May 13, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 13
How much better is this, than say, a lighter?

1. Depends whether you have a cigar handy or not
2. Who said anything about lighters
3. Make sure all gas valves remain closed and that the fire brigade has been notified

May 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 13
1. Depends whether you have a cigar handy or not
2. Who said anything about lighters
3. Make sure all gas valves remain closed and that the fire brigade has been notified
Using a lighter indoors doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to start a fire. But good point about the gas valves, I can see you're looking out for people and its great.

May 13, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 13
I find it disturbing that neither of us is really certain whether the other fellow is pulling our leg or not :wink:

May 13, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 13
It's a mexican standoff. BTW, I tried the lighter method (on my HD280 pros), and results are minimal.

Some notes:
-A lighter is not an effective method of loosening the clamp force, for various reasons, some of which are that the "flame" doesn't really go through the headband. It heats the bottom, sure, but since the headband has a thickness, it doesn't really matter (ie. the upper portion of the headband is still intact to enforce the clamp). Now, one may try to heat the headband enough such that the entire thickness of the headband is melted. However, we must be careful in doing this, as there is wiring going through the headband, and you don't want to burn that.

-Overall, the clamp was loosened, by probably the same amount if I put it extended for a couple of days. It's not as much as you would think, unless you actually melted the plastic, but then again you have to worry about the wiring inside.

-There's an awful smell, even if you put the flame on momentarily. It's probably not healthy.

May 14, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 13
It's a mexican standoff. BTW, I tried the lighter method (on my HD280 pros), and results are minimal.

Some notes:
-A lighter is not an effective method of loosening the clamp force, for various reasons, some of which are that the "flame" doesn't really go through the headband. It heats the bottom, sure, but since the headband has a thickness, it doesn't really matter (ie. the upper portion of the headband is still intact to enforce the clamp). Now, one may try to heat the headband enough such that the entire thickness of the headband is melted. However, we must be careful in doing this, as there is wiring going through the headband, and you don't want to burn that.

-Overall, the clamp was loosened, by probably the same amount if I put it extended for a couple of days. It's not as much as you would think, unless you actually melted the plastic, but then again you have to worry about the wiring inside.

-There's an awful smell, even if you put the flame on momentarily. It's probably not healthy.

Probably doesn't help that it's most likely a thermosetting plastic as opposed to a thermoplastic. If I had to guess, it's polyester. Did it char when you tried to heat it? If so, it's never going to change shape via heat.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 13
Probably doesn't help that it's most likely a thermosetting plastic as opposed to a thermoplastic. If I had to guess, it's polyester. Did it char when you tried to heat it? If so, it's never going to change shape via heat.

Don't tell a guy with a lighter that it won't help him bend his headphones. Next thing you know he'll be using an acetylene torch :wink:

May 14, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 13
I don't see why you are mocking me for doing this. They are my headphones, and I am being careful. In fact, why don't you stay away from me, since alcohol and fire don't mix :wink:.

Sounds good to me :D

Strike match
Put on ground
Get away

May 14, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 13
I know we're all joking here, but burning plastics is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Get different pads. Stretch it over the box for a week. But don't melt or burn plastics lest you end up taking up a ventilator of destroying your lungs from breathing in melted plastics.

That being said, if you do take an oxy torch to your headphones, be sure to upload to YouTube.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Remove the drivers from the headphones. Place the band in a temperature controlled chamber and fixture it so the band is straightened slightly. Set the chamber to a temperature slightly higher than the glass transition temperature of the plastic. Check on it after a day or so to see if it's loosened enough, letting the plastic cool down in the stretched state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back