Heartburn remidies
Nov 29, 2002 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

squirt

500+ Head-Fier
I hope i'm not the only one who had a hard night with heartburn last night...i normally eat very little meats but of course had to splurge on this thanksgiving feast...Alls fine till the early moring hours when i wake with this bruning sensation in my belly...still have some buring but not as bad now...

Anyone have some good remidies for heartburn other than store bought stuff which i prefer not to use if i theres a home made remidy available...
anyway i hope everyone had a good one...
cool.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 14
No not chewing gum. Saliva's PH is close to 7, that is neutral. Also, chewing stirs up stomach acid production in anticipation for food. Definitely do not use gum. You will be sorry.

Nov 29, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Though milk protein has a good buffering action, and may result in temporary relief, the high calcium content of milk stimulates excess acid production. Therefore, a high milk intake has an adverse effect overall on a sour stomach.

The over the counter meds are probably your best bet as Jude has stated.

Excess acid often occurs when we overeat as the stomach does not properly empty and there ends up being an excess amount of acid. If you are healthy and this is not a chronic condition time will also alleviate the problem as your system slowly returns to normal after the binge eating.

My wife has chronic problems with this so I have become well versed in stomach issues.

Nov 29, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 14
When milk is the only substance in a stomach, the gastric acid is neutralized, or buffered. This weakens the potential of acid so that gentle proteins in milk survive, intact, and deliver those profound messages for which they were designed.

Here is the key, then, to heartburn. Milk stops digestion long enough for the substances that nurture and protect the stomach to survive.

Milk was designed to be in the stomach with absolutely no other substances. Indeed...after a massive turkey dinner, things can go awry. The present studies relating to milk as a stimulant based on the Ca2+ are true depending on that fat content. The higher the fat the more acid will be produced once the PH drops to 2 again. I drink Skim at home. It works like a charm because of the low fat content. Since the poster requested at home remedies, that is what I posted. Of course...Zantac is a lovely little drug which will work like a charm.

Nov 29, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 14
And since he is probably a healthy young man time has probably taken care of everything even if he did nothing.

I think I am overly cautious because of my wifes ailment as any milk seems to cause her grief.

Nov 29, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 14
I've had ulcers and stomach problems all my life, and milk always made me nauseous. I always found that the best way to deal with stomach pains was to eat something bland and heavy, like a PB sandwich.

I also rely heavily on medications when I have an ulcer flareup, but when I don't have any on me I just choke down some OTC antacids.

Nov 29, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
And since he is probably a healthy young man time has probably taken care of everything even if he did nothing.

I think I am overly cautious because of my wifes ailment as any milk seems to cause her grief.

John, actually i'm rather long in the tooth but i give some folks the false impression of youth the same way i give off the false impression of intelligence...

However the heartburn is indeed subsiding over time and if this mornings visit to the wishing well is any indicator, i'm over the worst...bust out the Pine Sol, open the windows baby...

I haven't drank milk for many years now so i didn't want to chance milk on my already tormented system...i just drank huge amounts of plain water which did seem to work...

Till next thanksgiving thanks everybody for their assistance in this gastric calamity
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
No not chewing gum. Saliva's PH is close to 7, that is neutral. Also, chewing stirs up stomach acid production in anticipation for food. Definitely do not use gum. You will be sorry.

Really I thoght I had read that somewhere. Sorry.

Nov 30, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 14
For the occassional heartburn a simple neutralizer like baking soda will work fine. But if the upper muscle of the stomach is already damaged by acid burns, something heavier is more appropriate - acid blockers (over here Omeprazol Ratiopharm is efficient and not overly expensive...). And, of course, you should try avoid very fat, hot and processed food in general, when the heart burns turn up more frequently.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I had the problem recently, so the above is pretty much what the doctor told me.

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 14
Tagamet is fantastic. Tagamet is an acid reducer, I believe. While Zantac is an acid production inhibitor. Screw it, don't take my word for it. Head over to the drug store and read for yourself.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back