Hearing what others can't
Sep 14, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #17 of 30
Well no one else in my family can hear tv's heh. I think what gets me the most is I can still hear my moniter after I turn it off (still plugged in though). I just wanted to know if there are other electronic devices that give off hard to hear sounds as well.

Biggie.

Sep 14, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Well no one else in my family can hear tv's heh.

When this happens over here, we find that turning the volume up is often helpful.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 9:37 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I can hear dead people

...and death music
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #21 of 30
Florecent lights! I forgot about those. I hear the hum of florecent lights if I'm in a quiet office or store.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #23 of 30
Kerelybronto: No, it's not the crt istself - as I already stated, it's the line transformer, that usually makes that sizzling noise. When the ferrite core degrades (= crumbles on the outside) or the wires are not tightly winded or glued together, the wires swing against each other with the line (=horizontal) frequency. That's the buzz. If you have a loudly buzzing tv, change the line transformer - it usually works. Grundig TVs for several generations suffered extremly from this problem. Or cheap multifrequency monitors like early MAGs, when challenged with a lot of screen mode (=reosolution) changes...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I can hear dead people

Technically, that's not a frequency extreme -- for those of you that are familiar with Complex numbers, that would be the Frequency Range of Live People * i (square root of -1).

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I know I can here high pitched whining from newer t.v.'s, but older ones, like with wood on them I can't hear anything (well at least its not as evident).

Biggie.

I didn't know tv's made a noise like that.
Braver Quote:

the whirring of CDP drives is the most annoying thing ever tho! damn, especially that "cheap" (it was not cheap cash-wise IMO!) JVC micro of mine. I can always hear it, almost as load as a computer or a fan, and it ticks me off.

The only thing I hear of a cdp is the laser tracking returning to the start position on my CT570. I do hear 'puter fans though!
And I can hear florescent lights if the room is very quiet.
I can't hear dead people either, but I do see them.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
the whirring of CDP drives is the most annoying thing ever tho! damn, especially that "cheap" (it was not cheap cash-wise IMO!) JVC micro of mine.

I can hear that too most of the time. My CT-570 always makes this whirring noise every other second (no anti-shock). When I put it on anti-shock it gets ten times worse as the player spins up & down.

Does anyone else notice this? Or is it just my player is defective?
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #27 of 30
Yeah, the 570 has a pretty loud motor. I had it set on 10-second antiskip packed away in my bag in a loud Jeep on the highway and I heard it come on and start whirring. I guess you can think of it as a back up warning mechanism when you forget to use the hold button.
wink.gif

kerelybonto

Sep 26, 2002 at 6:48 AM Post #28 of 30
I too hear the TV. I especially noticed it when I got a new 32" TV. It bothered me at first, but after a while I don't even notice it anymore, though I can still hear it if I listen for it.

I can also hear the power supply on my computer from across the room, only when every other noice emitting device is off. I always wondered what was making that humming sound even when everything was off. I later found out it was my computer's power supply.

Sep 27, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #30 of 30
Yep, I hear the TV sound, and I've noticed that my APC Back-UPS 650 makes a very high-pitched, quiet tone; exactly like tinnitus (and I do have some on-off tinnitus every once in a while).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back