Hearing Test Based Equalization
Feb 24, 2018 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jaakkopasanen

100+ Head-Fier
There seem to be popping up new headphone manufacturers doing hearing test based equalization. As far as I know these are divided into two groups: ones that are using hearing test with user input while testing for hearing thresholds and the ones that are using otoacoustic emission test. The first kind is the traditional hearing test where you press a button when you hear a beep. The latter is based on sound waves reflecting back from your inner ear and can be measured with a microphone without user input. Otoacoustic emission test can be used for sound levels that are above hearing threshold.

Some players in the first camp are: Ameo Audio, Audeara, Even H1. The page for Even H1 even has an online demo where you can test it for yourself. So far I have only found two products doing the otoacoustic emission test: Nuraphone and Hefio Play.

Reactions (cherry picked by the manufacturers) are extremely positive for all of these products and it seems that they surely can outperform cheap headphones that average consumer uses. However more critical listeners accustomed to better headphones are not that convinced. Tyll's review for Ameo Audio's "dongle" can be found at Innerfidelity. In his review Tyll says that the Ameo produces too bright sound signature.

What I'm really wondering is that how could these work wonders since our brains are (supposedly) doing the compensation for us. Adding a DSP compensation on top of that would result in double compensation. And this is actually what Tyll says also; brains are already on it so there is no need to do it twice. However I'm not sure how much brains compensate for the frequency response since clearly people with hearing impairments are not enjoying complete compensation by the brains. Maybe brains do a bit of compensation and the rest can be handled with DSP. Perhaps Ameo Audio is doing too heavy compensation for Tyll in the high frequencies.

Certainly people prefer headphones with different sound signatures so that could indicate that brains are not compensating it completely. If that's the case then why nobody seems to ever talk about sound signatures of speakers the same way we talk about it with headphones. Dips in the ears' frequency response should have the same effect when listening to speakers.

Anybody have any insights into this topic? Anyone have compared these products against high end headphones? Is it possible that brains are not doing the compensation to same degree when using headphones because it's so unnatural to begin with?

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 7
nuraphone and hefio have an ear tip reaching the ear canal. so the device bypasses the external ear at least in part. so I imagine the scans try to model the listener's ear as best they can, and apply some predicted compensation like you would have if the sound source wasn't bypassing the external ear. that's I believe the core idea.
after that you could decide to try and model the reflection of the pinna if the sound source was at a different angle instead of 90°. there are a lot of things that can be done so long as the scan and the acoustic models are precise and custom enough. it might not copy correctly your full HRTF profile, but hopefully just part of it would be enough to subjectively make the experience more "realistic". and I imagine that's what those guys are after.

but I'm only guessing here, I haven't read a lot on those products and didn't get to try them.

Mar 10, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 7
So I've been sending emails to CEO of Hefio (Marko Hiipakka) and gotten some answers too. I guess it's a bit misleading to say they are doing hearing test based equalization because what they really do with their headphones is acoustic calibration of ear canal. Plugged ear canal is closer to a half wave resonator than quarter wave resonator and therefore ear canal acoustics change dramatically when wearing IEMs. Of course normal IEMs have this change built in their frequency response for average person but Hefio can equalize individually. I don't think it's possible to calibrate outer ear acoustics with IEM but regardless the ear canal plays huge role in personal head frequency response and calibrating for that is definitely a big step in the right direction.

Lots of interesting stuff can be found in Hiipakka's Google Scholar profile: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=yaODYhsAAAAJ&hl=en

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Neither company's web page instills confidence in their products.
Both of them are targeting average consumers, not audiophiles. Audiophile market is microscopic in size and marketing to audiophiles is very different from average consumers. In other words decision to target to audiophiles is a commercial suicide for startups. I can't really blame them for choosing the path they have chosen.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 7
I recently purchased the Beyerdynamic Aventho Bluetooth 4.2 headphones. They are hearing test enabled via a MIY smartphone app. My hearing has been steadily diminishing over the years and I decided I could use some assistance. The app adjusts via personal hearing test to the users hearing, uploads via USB to the earphones and worked very well for me. There was a vast difference with the app enabled vs the headpones without. Beyerdynamic has 3 headphones in this series, however they are somewhat expensive, and for me worth the extra cost. The Headphones pair immediately, are very well built, fit without too much pressure (on-ear), gesture controlled on right earpad, and I am very happy with this purchase.

MIY app:
http://bit.ly/2p4LKJV

Beyerdyanimic Aventho:
http://bit.ly/2p4LKJV

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Both of them are targeting average consumers, not audiophiles. Audiophile market is microscopic in size and marketing to audiophiles is very different from average consumers. In other words decision to target to audiophiles is a commercial suicide for startups. I can't really blame them for choosing the path they have chosen.
I meant it from a medical and scientific perspective. Audiophiles are not interested in such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back