Hearing loss
Jul 5, 2010 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ketut

New Head-Fier
As a part of my medical checkup, I did an audiometry test this morning. The doctor told me that although my hearing is "normal", I start to lose some higher frequency on my right ear, i.e. in the 2000 - 3000 Hz. Is this normal for a 40 years old like me? Is there any way to restore hearing loss? Should I cut my listening hours? Should I get a second opinion?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Ketut

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm no doctor. But 2-3kHz aren't high frequencies. Those are in the upper midrange, and probably pretty important both for music listening and communication. Are you sure he didn't say 12-13kHz?

Rather than cut listening hours, I'd check your volume and make sure you're not playing over 80-90dB, depending on how long you listen. Many people here recommend an SPL meter from Radioshack.

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
I'm no doctor. But 2-3kHz aren't high frequencies. Those are in the upper midrange, and probably pretty important both for music listening and communication. Are you sure he didn't say 12-13kHz?

Rather than cut listening hours, I'd check your volume and make sure you're not playing over 80-90dB, depending on how long you listen. Many people here recommend an SPL meter from Radioshack.

I'm pretty sure he said "two thousand to three thousand". The thing is, my last year's audiometry test was all normal, so I'm a bit shocked when he told me that I lost that much in the span of only one year, while I didn't do anything drastic to my ears in the last year. I think I will get a second opinion on this...

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 12
I've got a doctorate, but not a medical one. I think you should gave a chat with your medical doctor about hearing loss. Be sure to mention that you enjoy headphones and ask about an appropriate way to enjoy them. Be sure to take the recommendations seriously; I haven't heard of any way to reverse hearing loss. You want to preserve your hearing, so take any recommendations seriously.

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
As a part of my medical checkup, I did an audiometry test this morning. The doctor told me that although my hearing is "normal", I start to lose some higher frequency on my right ear, i.e. in the 2000 - 3000 Hz. Is this normal for a 40 years old like me? Is there any way to restore hearing loss? Should I cut my listening hours? Should I get a second opinion?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Ketut

Losing it in the 2-3000 range is NOT normal at your age (or most other ages for that matter).

Go get a second opinion.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 12
Is there some other way to determine the Db without it?
I usually listen to a cowon d2+ (equalized with -5 -5 -5 -3 -3, bbe 1, machbass 5, 3dso 2 and MPE on) with reverse modded MS1i with a maximum of 18-20.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 12
Hearing loss doesn't have to be permanent. It depends on the cause of the hearing loss.

I for example had an infection (a so-called erysipelas) in my leg some weeks ago and the whole “shock” to the body with the fever and all that caused a temporary hearing loss for me that has almost gone by now except for a tinnitus that according to the doctors should go away at some point as well.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Last I heard, wear/noise damage to the cells in the cochlea were cumulative and permanent as they don't regenerate. I would go for a second opinion, seeing as how the diagnosis could make listening less enjoyable just by making you think you're missing out.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 12
Loss in that range is far from normal. There must be a mistake somewhere, or you've got a (probably slight) problem.

EDIT: I just made and uploaded a wav file of a 2500hz sine wave. I'll warn anyone who decides to listen that it can be pretty painful, since it is fairly high.

Here it is.

You can listen to that to see if theres an imbalance between your ears.

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 12
Thank you all for your replies. I decided to do another test, and it turned out that yes, I did have a slight decrease in sensitivity on both ears on that frequency, but nothing to worry about. It is the result of the combination of both my working environment (I work in offshore oil platforms) and my age (40 this year).

I guess the doctor in the first clinic just didn't know how to explain the result properly. I will upload both test results once I'm back home, I'm still on field assignment now for the next 5 weeks. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 12
Glad you got it worked out, and I'm glad its nothing major. A slight decrease in sensitivity is common at pretty much any frequency at that age. As long as it doesn't interfere with your life, which it shouldn't, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back