hearing "hss" noise through headphones
Jun 2, 2020 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nokia

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I wish you a great day

I got two days ago my new Sennheiser HD569, And I am really happy with it.

Everything is great about it and I like that there is no annoying signature for my ears like how I had with the DT990 pro (it's my personal experience, doesn't mean its correct for everyone)

So about my Sennheiser, everything is awesome, but I am hearing some "hss" sound, its always there but it's more clear when I open an audio file, and there is no sound from the track yet its so clear

Or when I hear windows notifications there's like hss then the sound of the notification, and in the end, I hear it again, its always there, when I push volume up, its become clearer and clearer, or when a youtube video but there is no actual sound, its kind of annoying, the sound is really similar to the sound which you will hear if you recorded silence with a cheap microphone then added it to the background of all sounds coming out of the headphones.

I am running the headphone through my MSI laptop, I tried it through my Huawei phone and had the same experience, to hear exactly what I am talking about you can listen to 0:14 to 0:24

Is there a problem with headphones? or my computer and phone? or is it my unusual taste of music?

Need to point out that I did choose the sound rate to 24 bit, 192000Hz, Will an external amp/dac fix this? or
Is there any solution to avoid or decrease this type of noise because it's annoying me :frowning2:

Thank you so much for your time, and again wish you a wonderful day

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 19
Onboard sound cards and sensitive, low-impedance cans probably don't get along very well. See if you can borrow a USB DAC from a friend. Maybe the hiss will go away.

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 19
Hello everyone, I wish you a great day

I got two days ago my new Sennheiser HD569, And I am really happy with it.

Everything is great about it and I like that there is no annoying signature for my ears like how I had with the DT990 pro (it's my personal experience, doesn't mean its correct for everyone)

So about my Sennheiser, everything is awesome, but I am hearing some "hss" sound, its always there but it's more clear when I open an audio file, and there is no sound from the track yet its so clear

Or when I hear windows notifications there's like hss then the sound of the notification, and in the end, I hear it again, its always there, when I push volume up, its become clearer and clearer, or when a youtube video but there is no actual sound, its kind of annoying, the sound is really similar to the sound which you will hear if you recorded silence with a cheap microphone then added it to the background of all sounds coming out of the headphones.

I am running the headphone through my MSI laptop, I tried it through my Huawei phone and had the same experience, to hear exactly what I am talking about you can listen to 0:14 to 0:24

Is there a problem with headphones? or my computer and phone? or is it my unusual taste of music?

Need to point out that I did choose the sound rate to 24 bit, 192000Hz, Will an external amp/dac fix this? or
Is there any solution to avoid or decrease this type of noise because it's annoying me :frowning2:

I listened to the 0:14 - 0:24 and there is an audible hissing IN THE VIDEO/AUDIO.
Don't worry, you're not going mad. It's just a crappy piece of media.

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 19
I listened to the 0:14 - 0:24 and there is an audible hissing IN THE VIDEO/AUDIO.
Don't worry, you're not going mad. It's just a crappy piece of media.

Oh great, could you share with me any clear audio so I can try it with my new headphones?
Just I tried many music through apple music and I think that usual hissing is more noticeable with high quality headphones

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 19
Higher quality headphones are just better at showing you more details.
This includes revealing badly recorded or badly mastered audio.

There are actually some audiophiles who deliberately search for high-quality but muddy-sounding headphones because it hides the imperfections better.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 19

The amp circuit in the laptop has too high noise and probably gain. Unlike a Meier amplifier which even at high gain wouldn't have that noise on even a high sensitivity headphone like a Grado.

Think of it like having an Intel gaming laptop with a fan that keeps wailing to high heavens and then you know somebody using a Ryzen 7 laptop with the same GPU and plays within 5% of your framerates without an audible racket.

Upsampling to 24bit has been known to increase digital distortion, just not that kind of hiss.

Still try turning that off and see if some of it goes away. But look into the settings and see if there's a gain setting. It might not be labeled more like 'eXXXtr3me Pro G4m3r MaXXX1mum P4wnage Mode" or something since marketing departments decide on these these labels.

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 19

There are actually some audiophiles who deliberately search for high-quality but muddy-sounding headphones because it hides the imperfections better.
Sad story, I wish I didn't seek into this expensive hobby, I am not an audiophile, just wanted something clear and nice, and already paid all my salary hahaha
First dt990 which has painful treble, than useless scarlett 2i2 (for my usage)
I hope external dac will reduce the noise

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 19
The amp circuit in the laptop has too high noise and probably gain. Unlike a Meier amplifier which even at high gain wouldn't have that noise on even a high sensitivity headphone like a Grado.

Think of it like having an Intel gaming laptop with a fan that keeps wailing to high heavens and then you know somebody using a Ryzen 7 laptop with the same GPU and plays within 5% of your framerates without an audible racket.

Upsampling to 24bit has been known to increase digital distortion, just not that kind of hiss.

Still try turning that off and see if some of it goes away. But look into the settings and see if there's a gain setting. It might not be labeled more like 'eXXXtr3me Pro G4m3r MaXXX1mum P4wnage Mode" or something since marketing departments decide on these these labels.

Interesting example, maybe a budget amp/dac like fiio or sound blaster will change something

And about "eXXXtr3me Pro G4m3r MaXXX1mum P4wnage Mode" I am using computer since I was 10 years old, never ever came across such label

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 19
Interesting example, maybe a budget amp/dac like fiio or sound blaster will change something

Maybe but nothing is guaranteed. It might have some other problem, like noisy USB.

And about "eXXXtr3me Pro G4m3r MaXXX1mum P4wnage Mode" I am using computer since I was 10 years old, never ever came across such label

It involves hyperbole to mean the label is something stupidly gamer-y instead of just calling it "gain." That's why I said "uses something like."

My old Xonar U3 uses "ProGamer Mode for >60ohm headphones" which makes absolutely zero sense since there's no direct relationship between impedance and gain much less a relationship between being a pro gamer and the impedance of the headphones you would use. I mean, my HD600 is definitely at a higher impedance compared to every headset at a CS:GO tournament.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 19
*Update*, I just stupidly went and bought Sound Blaster g6 from Creative, it's amp/dac, can drive to 600Ohm headphones
Now it's giving the required power for my DT990 pro.

But I think my ears are awful enough that I am hearing no difference in quality at all, the only difference from onboard sound card and the SoundBlaster for my bad ears using Sennheiser hd569 is that I enjoy the sound which comes out of the onboard card more.

I am totally disappointed and regretting spending all that money uselessly, which didn't I just buy Huawei freebuds instead

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #11 of 19

Yes, my new Audeze LCD 4s do this. They expose recordings with noise that can be annoying. They will reveal hiss, static, distortion, clipping etc, while my lower price headphones mask it. I sometimes wonder why I buy the ultra revealing hi-end lol.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 19
Yes, my new Audeze LCD 4s do this. They expose recordings with noise that can be annoying. They will reveal hiss, static, distortion, clipping etc, while my lower price headphones mask it. I sometimes wonder why I buy the ultra revealing hi-end lol.
Audeze LCD 4s doing that? Omg I got depression that I paid about 400$ uselessly, I really should stop going deeper into this hobby.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #14 of 19
I found this YouTube video on mixing, and the complexities of Loudness normalization in streaming... the demos in the video are pretty great and talk to there are many things that go into enjoying music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back