Hearing absolutely no USB noise at all - is this normal?
Mar 2, 2015 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Atriya

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking at the Schiit Wyrd, and how it cleans up noisy USB connections. And so I asked myself - am I getting USB noise?

I set this up -

24/96 WAV of silence -> MacBook Pro Late 2013 -> iTunes with BitPerfect -> Schiit PYST USB cable -> Schiit Modi -> Schiit PYST RCA cables -> Schiit Vali at maximum volume -> AKG 551.

Rather to my surprise, I heard absolutely no noise at all. I turned down ambient noise till I could hear my own heartbeat, and yet I heard absolutely no noise!

This is surprising, because computer USB outputs are supposed to be noisy (which is why the Wyrd exists), and moreover the Vali is supposed to be a 'amp'. For example, Schiit admits on its webpage that it is much more noisy than the Magni. With the combination of computer output and an amp not known for its clean background, I had expected to hear at least some noise.

What could be the explanation for this? Does the MacBook Pro Late 2013 have exceptionally low USB noise? Or is my AKG 551 not revealing enough to hear the noise? Or is it something else? Finally, does this mean that the Schiit Wyrd would make absolutely no difference to my sound (I was interesting it because my some accounts it improves sound quality).

Thanks!

EDIT: On closer listen, I can hear a very faint 'windy' sound that goes when the Vali is switched off. However, it seems to be independent of the computer and USB cable. That is, it remains the same when the USB cable is disconnected from the Modi. Also, the sound does not increase or decrease with the Vali volume knob - it remains the same. Does the suggest that it's coming neither the Mac nor the Vali, but from the Modi?

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 7
No, it sounds like you don't need a Schitt Wyrd for your choice of headphones.

There are many variables that affect some setups more than others, some PSU's are incredibly noisy, others less so... Your headphones have an impedance of around 35 Ohms iirc and are also quite sensitive which makes your findings quite surprising.
Try and plug some even lower impedance headphones or iems in and it will likely tell you a lot more regarding the main noise culprits in your chain.

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 7
I plugged in an IEM, and could clearly hear some noise. However this noise remained the same when the USB was disconnected, and further remained the same when the Modi was disconnected. Hence, it must be coming from the Vali, with the Modi and USB apparently contributing no noise at all!

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 7
No, it sounds like you don't need a Schitt Wyrd for your choice of headphones.
There are many variables that affect some setups more than others, some PSU's are incredibly noisy, others less so... Your headphones have an impedance of around 35 Ohms iirc and are also quite sensitive which makes your findings quite surprising.
Try and plug some even lower impedance headphones or iems in and it will likely tell you a lot more regarding the main noise culprits in your chain.

I plugged in an IEM, and could clearly hear some noise. However this noise remained the same when the USB was disconnected, and further remained the same when the Modi was disconnected. Hence, it must be coming from the Vali, with the Modi and USB apparently contributing no noise at all!

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 7
if you don't have a problem, don't try solving it :wink:

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 7
if you don't have a problem, don't try solving it :wink:

I know. It's just there are reports that the Wyrd somehow improves soundstage and seperation and a host of other things. I'm just making sure it's only purpose is fixing USB noise and power issues, and if there isn't any USB noise, it does nothing at all (that is audible).

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 7
I know. It's just there are reports that the Wyrd somehow improves soundstage and seperation and a host of other things. I'm just making sure it's only purpose is fixing USB noise and power issues, and if there isn't any USB noise, it does nothing at all (that is audible).

Read what Schiit themselves have to say about it. What they're clear about is that it will clean up noise and solve power issues like cutting out. The other improvements, well they were kind of passive-aggressive about it - they joked about it, but instead of outright ridiculing such people, they kept it a bit open-ended.

The Cure for Noise and Glitches
Have you ever heard strange noise from your USB DAC? Or have you had it “drop out” after the computer goes to sleep? Or does your computer have trouble recognizing your DAC at all? It could be due to noisy USB power, or USB port power management (very common with Windows 8 and Mac Mavericks.)

Improves Sound, Color Printing, Data Stability
Just kidding. This is silly. That’s like saying charging your iPhone off Wyrd makes the battery last longer. But some listeners say Wyrd improves the sound of their system. We’re not going to make any such claims. Nor are we going to recommend it for printers, external USB drives, or iPhone chargers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back