Heard new Oasis CD
Dec 4, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're at the TOP of my to-buy list! Thanks again for all the great recos!!!

SB
Check Amazon used Cds..........they have those Oasis classics for $2-3 each

I've been playing Oasis last few hours, yessssssssssssss!

Besides the great washed out distorted guitar notice the vocals by Liam Gallagher, he has this great style where he drags/slurs the ending of phrases to blend with music........sometimes sounding like a sneer which again enhances the rock and roll star image of these Manchester lads.

They were notorius in thier day for repeatedly proclaiming thier greatness which of course was all part of the show, and constant fueding between Gallagher brothers.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SB

Besides the great washed out distorted guitar notice the vocals by Liam Gallagher, he has this great style where he drags/slurs the ending of phrases to blend with music........sometimes sounding like a sneer which again enhances the rock and roll star image of these Manchester lads.

They were notorius in thier day for repeatedly proclaiming thier greatness which of course was all part of the show, and constant fueding between Gallagher brothers.

ai am a bit of an oasis fanatic. .

IMG_1314.jpg

are all oasis cds. . .i am still missing about 6-7 singles

Dec 4, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

SB

The three Oasis classics and the Ned's Atomic Dustbin reco's are all ordered - on a few, the shipping cost is higher than the album price. So far, I've been playing the 2 CD's from Stop The Clocks repeatedly - so I can't wait to get the classic albums from which the compilation is mainly taken. Many thanks for all your great recos and tips (yet again). From Stop The Clocks, so far, the one track that especially stands out as a lifetime favorite is "Slide Away". But I know that all the tracks on both CD's are good because, when either CD ends, I just hit the "Play" button again. Not a skipper in the bunch.
Can't wait until the ordered classics arrive.

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #49 of 58
Terance
Nice stack of Oasis there.........how about ranking albums for us?

I will modify mine since another album "don't believe the truth" has come out since Heathen Chemistry and is actually a step in right direction but cannot match the classic era Oasis albums:

Here is my revised ranking:
1)Morning Glory
2)Definitely Maybe
3)Masterplan
4)Be here Now (Bong does not like this but it really rocks)
5)Standing on Shoulders of Giants
++++++
6)Don't Believe the Truth
7)Heathen Chemistry

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

hey Bong........looks like we got another recruit for team Brit Pop
k1000smile.gif

Also the fact that SB likes Suede means he is our man!

another Britpop AND Suede fan... yay!
biggrin.gif

SB, seeing you already have the self-titled debut, Dog Man Star, Sci-Fi Lullabies, and A New Morning, you mind as well get the rest of their full-length catalog. Coming Up was released after Dog Man Star and the Brett Anderson/Bernard Butler songwriting partnership split, and it drove Suede towards a new, anthemic, and uplifting (hence the album title) sound. Head Music cam after that and continued in the same style, but with a bit more studio embellishment via Steve Osbourne at the producing helm.

oh, and if you can find it, be sure to pick up Here Come The Tears by The Tears, it's the first Anderson/Butler material since Dog Man Star. overall it sounds like post split Suede but i could imagine Coming Up would've sound like this if they kiss and made up earlier.

Ned's Atomic Dustbin, their name pops up every once in a while, dunno why... time to dig out God Fodder again. "Happy" makes me happy.
tongue.gif

back to Oasis, listening to Stop The Clocks, i dunno if it's a placebo effect but the songs do sound better than previous album issues... haven't really A/Bed them yet. i know i been through this topic before (i think...?) but i don't really like the fact that Be Here Now was totally ignored. at least put on "Don't Go Away," sheesh. would've been great, since Stop The Clocks isn't a singles collection, and "Don't Go Away" wasn't a single (although used as promotion) but was one of the best songs on Be Here Now. *sigh* and no "Gas Panic!"

anyhoo... to follow DA's post, here's my Oasis ranking. i think i'll skip Masterplan since it's a B-side compilation, but it would've topped everything else, like how Sci-Fi Lullabies tops any Suede album. other Britpop bands wished they had a handful of A-Sides as good as Suede and Oasis B-sides, but i digress...

Definitely Maybe
(What's the Story) Morning Glory
Heathen Chemistry
Don't Believe the Truth
Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
Be Here Now (yeah, like DA says it's not secret i don't like this one, but it does have some great moments)

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #51 of 58
i listen to old oasis still (familiar to millions era) and it's great. but now it's mostly just crap, stacked on to the fact that they're the biggest bunch of ******* that i've seen in the world of rock
frown.gif

and as he faced the sun he cast no shadow~

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen to old oasis still (familiar to millions era) and it's great. but now it's mostly just crap, stacked on to the fact that they're the biggest bunch of ******* that i've seen in the world of rock
frown.gif

and as he faced the sun he cast no shadow~

i actually found their most recent offering to be their second best ever!

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #53 of 58
It's a must have compilation CD & I'm hoping for a Stop The Clocks tour for next summer!
icon10.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

I listened to the 2CD and EP 2-3 times yesterday and sounds very good, I was then going to get out the old Cds and comapre a couple tracks for sound quality but seems to be almost no interest in Oasis these days at Head Fi.......sad but true.

I again implore Oasis fans to grab this quickly before sale ends, 2CD 18 tracks anthology set plus 4 song EP all for $9.99 at Best Buy

Their albums suck nowadays. I used to be a HUGE Oasis fan from WTSMG? right through their B sides collection, The Masterplan. Watching their videos from WTSMG? album on MTV turned me onto them. After The Masterplan, they kinda fell into the typical "lets just churn out another album" philosophy. I still think "Be Here Now" is a great album. I was recently listening to my WTSMG? vinyl since it has digsy's bank holiday (sp?) track on there.

By the way, if you guys are interested, I have a mighty big collection of live concert cds dating from Definitely Maybe tour right through around 1999-2000. Drop me a pm if you want some copies. I remember those glory days of trading live shows on cassette with a tape trader I met online, thankfully, I have all those shows on cdr now. Those were exciting times.

Dec 8, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their albums suck nowadays. I used to be a HUGE Oasis fan from WTSMG? right through their B sides collection, The Masterplan. Watching their videos from WTSMG? album on MTV turned me onto them. After The Masterplan, they kinda fell into the typical "lets just churn out another album" philosophy. I still think "Be Here Now" is a great album. I was recently listening to my WTSMG? vinyl since it has digsy's bank holiday (sp?) track on there.

Have you heard newest album Don't Believe the Truth?

This is a nice bounce back in the right direction after the mediocre Heathen Chemistry release, I am almost ready to rank "truth" up one notch above "giants" on my list, songs like "lyla" recall the golden age of Oasis.......I can't believe Bong has "heathen" rated 3rd best Oasis album
eek.gif

1)Morning Glory
2)Definitely Maybe
3)Masterplan
4)Be here Now (Bong does not like this but it really rocks)
5)Standing on Shoulders of Giants
++++++
6)Don't Believe the Truth
7)Heathen Chemistry

Dec 12, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

This is a nice bounce back in the right direction after the mediocre Heathen Chemistry release, I am almost ready to rank "truth" up one notch above "giants" on my list, songs like "lyla" recall the golden age of Oasis.......I can't believe Bong has "heathen" rated 3rd best Oasis album
eek.gif

heh... i guess it's because for me Heathen Chemistry had more memorable songs than Giants or Be Here Now, especially the singles... "THe Hindu Times," "Songbird," "Stop Crying Your Heart Out," "She Is Love," "Little By Little," "Force of Nature," all good songs. although i have to admit none of them still wows me like "Gas Panic!" does though.

for me Heathen Chemistry or Don't Believe The Truth can be swappable for thrid place.

ok DA, because of you i'll dig out my copy of Be Here Now and make a second opinion!
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Nope, I kinda lost interest in the band after Shoulder..., I tried Heathen and didn't care for it much either. Maybe I'll give their new one a try.

Dec 12, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok DA, because of you i'll dig out my copy of Be Here Now and make a second opinion!
tongue.gif

I like the lyrics to opening song D'You Know What I Mean where they say "all my people right here right now.....D'You Know What I Mean" like we are all a big happy family, we are the peeps!

Hey how about a little stocking stuffer like Oasis complete singles box:
Singles
A mere $448 for the Oasis faithful
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back