Heard Magnepans for the first time today
Mar 5, 2003 at 10:45 AM Post #61 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by Snow
I am plaaning on going on a tour of the Magnepan facilities on March 11th. Word is that we will get to listen to some of their top end speakers. I'll report back with tour details.

If there are any Twin City Metro area members that would like to go on the tour, check out this site: Audio Society of Minnesota

Snow

You Lucky Dog!!!!
wink.gif
If you can,take some pics and post them.I would love to see what that place looks like.

Mar 21, 2003 at 9:51 AM Post #62 of 106
I just heard Magnepans for the first time today. On a tip from my brother, I headed to Stereo Unlimited in Walnut Creek, CA, and the first thing I hear when I walk in the door is the sound of a jazz quartet playing in an adjacent room. Not the sound of speakers playing a recording of a jazz quartet, but the sensation that there was an actual jazz quartet playing in the next room. So I tell the owner (Dan, a bit eccentric but a cool guy nonetheless) that I'd like to listen to some Maggies, and he brings me into the adjacent room, where I find the source of the jazz quartet to be a pair of 3.6R's - modified with a special tweeter built specifically for the maggies, an external crossover box and totally redone wiring throughout (Dan apparently does his own metallurgy work or has it contracted specifically for the Maggies). They were each bi-amped by 4 VTL MB-750 reference monoblocks (that's $80,000 right there!), feeding off a Viva Linea 45 preamp (~$5900), and the cdp was an AMC CD-8b ($220???). He also had a Martin Logan Descent (~$2800) sub filling in the low register.

I have to say the sound was simply incredible. Spacious, clear, transparent, natural...you name it, this system had it in spades. Paired with the ML sub, it handled every single type of music I threw at it with absolute authority and the most natural sound I've ever heard out of speakers. I've never heard a piano rendered more realistically, nor a cello given the appropriate weight and resonance as one you hear in real life. Glenn Gould was playing in the same room, the Cleveland Quartet was giving me a personal Beethoven Recital, Sting was standing in front of me. Imaging, resolution and separation of layers...all of it is absolutely fantastic. Of course, the associated equipment alone cost roughly $90,000, so one would hope throwing any hi-end speaker into the setup would yield good results, but man....those maggies just disappear!

Dan also had an interesting setup in the front room. A pair of Maggie 1.6's set up facing each other, parallel to the side walls. The sound may have lost some focus, but the spaciousness and effortlessness with which it filled the room was very cool and Dan feels more authentic to the live experience, where the sound envelops you rather than hits you from a point source. I'd have to say I agree, and man o man, once I get a place big enough to make a good listening space, I'm definitely putting the maggies into heavy consideration.

*Note to those bay area headfiers who want to check out Stereo Unlimited: if you listen to the Maggies and Dan asks you what you think - do NOT talk about soundstage or imaging or treble extension or any other common speaker terminology. I made the innocent mistake of commenting on the soundstage and it sent him off on a tirade about how audiophiles are wasting their money on artificial sound when they should be looking for something that gives them the feeling of live sound, independent of sweet spot or all that. He didn't even give me the chance to finish my sentence. I was going to say "the soundstage is incredible...it's like the speakers aren't even there and I'm listening to it live." What I got in was "the soundstage is..." before he interrupted with his lecture.
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 8:52 AM Post #66 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
They were using a AMC cd8b as the source feeding that system?!!

Yeah, I was a bit shocked by that too (that player feels extremely flimsy), and almost made a comment to the owner about it, but decided not to in fear of invoking another rant.
wink.gif
And besides, the whole system did sound friggin incredible!
biggrin.gif

He also carries some very cool vinyl gear (I was tempted to ask him to fire up a clearaudio system he had set up next to the Maggies), as well as tons of very sweet looking tube amps and preamps.

Jun 4, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #68 of 106
Maggies love tubes.

My 1.6s run with Atma-sphere M60 amps and Paul Speltz's zero autoformers at 4x - 16 ohms. The M60s are 90 Watts per channel into the 16 ohm load and sound glorious with NOS 6sn7s.

Also, consider Van Alstine fet valves.

Maggies love tubes.

Jun 4, 2003 at 7:24 AM Post #69 of 106
Dude,

You and I are on the same page.I have "upgraded" to the 3.6 and I'm looking for a used set of Atmaspheres to power them.I hear you loud and clear.I'm still working on my Maggie system,hopefully I'll have it together by the time my house is done.

Jun 4, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #70 of 106
I just changed my input tubes last week, w/ the tubes Hirsch traded me. I switched out Jan/Phillips 12ax7 for some old Tele smoothplates. Also using RCA Cleartops 12au7. A few more months, then those 16 JJEL84s are outta here. To tell you the truth, rock doesn't really work w/ the Teles (in my Sys) It is so laid back most live recordings are too distant. Any ideas Tuberoller?

Jun 4, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #71 of 106
Two interesting new stock 12AX7's: EI Elite 12AX7EG and Sovtek 12AX7LPS. Both of these tubes are new production, and both are very good, IMO. Either of these may have a better attack than the Telefunkens, which would be better for rock. Definitely worth a try.

Jul 13, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #73 of 106
Tuberoller, now, a month down the road, are you still groovin' on the Magnepans? (I'm thinking of a pair). Or did their novelty wear off? Do your "reference" PSB topple them easily? Oh yeah, one last question: Why didn't you like your dad's Quads?

Jul 13, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #74 of 106
I heard a local audiophile's Magnepan 1.6's and was impressed by the spaciousness and soundstaging. But it seems that with every recording, it seems like the performers are in a large concert hall with you being around the 4th row. The Maggies I heard didn't seem to be able to differentiate different acoustic environments very well (i.e. a concert hall versus a more intimate night club). Maybe I'm just used to dynamic speakers - I didn't really dig the Maggies. For orchestral stuff however, they can't be beat. The Maggies sounded more Hi-Fi and less musical IMHO. The system I heard was matched with an Odyssey Stratos stereo amplifier (solid-state) and a Audio Research LS1 tube hybrid preamp. Do you think my first Maggie listening experience had to do with system matching, or is it more because I'm used to my own system - mid-size monitors with an all-tube system? A possible difference could also be the source - the Maggie system uses a Music Hall 25, while my system uses a VPI Scout.

Jul 13, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #75 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Tuberoller, now, a month down the road, are you still groovin' on the Magnepans? (I'm thinking of a pair). Or did their novelty wear off? Do your "reference" PSB topple them easily? Oh yeah, one last question: Why didn't you like your dad's Quads?

The entire Maggie system,amps,speakers and preamp was damaged in a flood in my new house.I'll replace it later this year.I hate that I never really got this system singing but I will get it done.I just sent the Atmapheres out to be fixed and the folks at Atmashere are fantastic.The 3.6 are toast and can't be repaired easily.I'm sending them back to Magnepan for repairs or replacement after I get an OK.

I happen to like the soundstage on the maggies but I don't like the fuzzy edges that get emphasised on some recordings.This is more a product of the source and amplification but the Maggies don't help.I don't like the Quads because they lack high frequency detail and have no stinkin' bass at all.Quads have good treble extension but tend to get grainy and tinny up top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back