Heaphones to be used with iFi nano DAC recommendation
May 15, 2014 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

doushikunlun

New Head-Fier
Hi, 

To start off, I am not an audiophile just a regular music listener. I listen mostly to classical music and pop (western and korean pop), and love it when I can listen to the acoustic guitar melody or female singer's voice clearly. I have been using IEMs like yamaha EPH-100SL and Harman kardon AE outdoor and Sennheiser amperior with my laptop at home. I didn't know until recently that the music files has to undergo conversion and that DAC can improve the sound quality. Intrigued by that knowledge, I ordered an iFi nano idsd DAC, that is said to have an amp in it as well. I am hoping to get a headphone that will blow me away once connected to DAC. I am looking for something to be used at home with the DAC, so it doesn't have to be portable, and I prefer something that has to be driven with an amp, just to justify my purchase of the iFi nano idsd DAC. 

Been looking at Sennheiser HD 598 and the HD 650. The 650 is rather on the expensive side, I'd like to keep it below $400 if possible, but if an extra $50 will make me a very happy for very long time, I'll gladly fork out that extra $50. Could you guys give some input about the two headphones? Will normal mortal human being without special hearing ability be able to appreciate the extra oomph that justify the extra $230 that is needed to get the HD650 compared to HD598? It would be great if you could enlighten me on other brands too. I heard beyerdynamics are underpriced and AKG is fairly priced; I am open to any brand, so it'd be great if anyone who have listened to other cans can give their input. 

Btw, opened or closed doesn't matter to me; I will use it in my own room.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back