Healthy...IEM listening..
May 9, 2008 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ace8888

100+ Head-Fier
just wondering what's the healthy period (~5 hours?) and volume level of listening to IEM such as TF-10pro, Shure's, etc...

I don't want to lose my hearing ability/sensitivity in the near future after wasting a lot of $$$ for this hobby
tongue.gif
lol, any opinion?

PS: to mod I'm sorry if this is in a wrong section.

May 9, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 6
As quiet as possible for as short as possible :p
As an IEM user, you have the added bonus that everything can be played quieter because of the higher isolation at least.

It's probably good to give your ears breaks once in a while.

May 9, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 6
This should give you an rough idea on volume vs. time LINK.

Basically, if you listen to your music on typical conversation kind of volume (60dB SPL), you can listen for it non stop. If you listen to it on 85dB SPL, than you shouldn't listen more than 40 hrs weekly. The higher the volume, the lesser you should use your IEM.

May 9, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ace8888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just wondering what's the healthy period (~5 hours?) and volume level of listening to IEM such as TF-10pro, Shure's, etc...

I don't want to lose my hearing ability/sensitivity in the near future after wasting a lot of $$$ for this hobby
tongue.gif
lol, any opinion?

PS: to mod I'm sorry if this is in a wrong section.

Don't exceed 85 (A-weight) decibels (continously) for 8 hrs.

I suggest you go buy a sound meter from like Radio Shack to get a good +-2/3 measure in volume if you're particular about this sort of thing. They aren't all that expensive. Just place the speaker to the mic of the device when inside at home to get a reading. Personally, (using a C-weight figure) I keep the bulk of my music between 60 - 74 or so at all times. At even the absolute highest points of every song, my music is kept strictly under 80 for safe purposes. With good isolation, you can keep volume considerably lower and still feel as if you're sitting near the front row at a concert. Hense, the reason as to why I've switched over from car audio. Plus, top grade sound comes at a much cheaper price, which is of great appeal IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 6
With good IEMs you can listen for as long as the comfort level holds out. The reason being as stated that you can listen at a much lover volume than with cans. Transducers also don't pound your brain as hard as say a big 50mm driver would...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back