Headwize (not a happy post)
Jul 22, 2001 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Rotareneg

Internetus Quickus
I feel the Head-Fi forums are significantly better than the Headwize forums from a technical and ergonomic point of view. While I appreciated the simplicity of the old Headwize forums, the new one just feels out of order. I really regret that Cmoy has gone though all the time and effort when it, IMHO, would have been more productive to transfer the Headwize forum content to Head-Fi. I'm sorry if I sound too negative, but I just feel that splitting the headwize/head-fi community in two is going to end up hurting both.

Jul 22, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 30
Personally, I don't really care whether I go to Headwize or Head-fi.. For me, it's not about the ergonomics or the pretty colours.. it's about the PEOPLE, which is what really matters. In this case, the SAME PEOPLE visit these two sites, thus it makes no difference to me.

Jul 22, 2001 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 30
I too, wish we had the backend of headwize and the frontend of head-fi. I am finding it very annoying in going to two different forums with EXACTLY the same things, I often see identical posts... very annoying, time wasting too... if it only were all integrated. vBulletin is better than UBB from what I can tell...

Jul 22, 2001 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 30
I wasn't around on the old headwize forums, but I can say this: running vbulletin (which is php/mysql based) *chews* up cpu time.

I run a forum elsewhere which was using ubb. I switched to vbulletin about 3 months ago because of vbulletins sexy interface and features. But unfortunatly, after 3 months of use, I'm using 5 times more cpu that UBB did, and it's costing me at my webhosting company.

So, if Headwize's main problem was webhosting costs, vbulletin's not the answer. And... if the headwize archives were moved here, whoever's paying the head-hi bill might not be so happy in a couple of months when they get their usage bill.

Unless... of course... head-fi is being run on it's own dedicated server (i.e. no cpu usage cost charged by a webhosting company).

- Zoo

Jul 22, 2001 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 30
I think the Headwize appearance is fine. I personally like Head-Fi not because I'm an engineer here.. but for the tools and interface.

One thing that is for certain, Head-Fi does have the resources to provide reliable and fast forums now, and in the long-run. I am not saying that Headwize doesn't, because I can only talk about what's running here. What we've dedicated so far to Head-Fi is literally the tip of the iceburg, in terms of web front-end and database backend processing power.

Zoo, you a sysadmin? Which forum do you run?

Jul 22, 2001 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 30
Rotareneg~

I know exactly what you are talking about. I like to visit various forums ( I also run several forums myself)

I do not mind 2 forums on the same interest or topic. But when BOTH forums are on SAME TOPIC and SAME make up of members, it does feel redundant. Personally, the reopening of Headwize's forum is not as exciting to me as before when we were all *homeless*
smily_headphones1.gif

What is exciting to me are the ARCHIVEd threads that are in Headwize. The moment it is back up, I am going to spend good 3+ hours and dig up all the informative threads and SAVE THEM ALL on my HD.( I used to bookmark just the url) This way I will not suffer when something happens again ~!

Quote:

Originally posted by neil

Neil~

holyZoo runs the place at www.holyzoo.com ( band he enslav.. uh I mean manages
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I am pretty postive he is talking about the forum over there.

As far as the Holy Zoo music goes... I will let you know after I receive the cd
wink.gif

He has a fun page there with a lot of funny and creative stuff. Go check it out
smily_headphones1.gif

*winks* @ Holy Zoo
wink.gif

Tides

Jul 22, 2001 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 30
Don't hate me for this, but I really do like these forums better
wink.gif

Quote:

What is exciting to me are the ARCHIVEd threads that are in Headwize. The moment it is back up, I am going to spend good 3+ hours and dig up all the informative threads and SAVE THEM ALL on my HD.( I used to bookmark just the url) This way I will not suffer when something happens again ~!

That's what I am waiting for as well.

The only thing that I don't like about these forums are the crappy user level names :

Junior Member (Minimum Posts: 0)
Member (Minimum Posts: 10)
100+ Member (Minimum Posts: 100)
500+ Member (Minimum Posts: 500)
1000+ Member (Minimum Posts: 1000)
Headphoneus Supremus (Minimum Posts: 1500)

The last one is funny, and the 1st two are fine, but the rest needs to be change to something more witty
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2001 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
That's what I am waiting for as well.

The only thing that I don't like about these forums are the crappy user level names....

....The last one is funny, and the 1st two are fine, but the rest needs to be change to something more witty
smily_headphones1.gif

KR's got a point about the titles -- sad thing is the first two were defaults! LOL! I guess that's one thing I never put much thought into. Those were put up the first day. He's right -- no wit whatsoever. Any suggestions?

Jul 22, 2001 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

Junior Member (Minimum Posts: 0)
Member (Minimum Posts: 10)
100+ Member (Minimum Posts: 100)
500+ Member (Minimum Posts: 500)
1000+ Member (Minimum Posts: 1000)
Headphoneus Supremus (Minimum Posts: 1500)
KR's got a point about the titles .... He's right -- no wit whatsoever. Any suggestions?

OooooKay...how about:

Member (Minimum Posts: 0)
Postpubescent Member (Minimum Posts: 10)
Engorged Member (Minimum Posts: 100)
Fully Aroused Member (Minimum Posts: 1000)

Jul 22, 2001 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by neil

Actually, I run several. But I've only switched one over to vbulletin (and that's the one that's chewing up cpu time like crazy). That forum is at http://www.thefixx.net

The Holy Zoo forum is still using ubb (and will stay that way, since hardly anyone posts there!).
smily_headphones1.gif

Tides - I haven't dropped that cd in the mail yet, but I promise it will go out tomorrow or tuesday!

Jul 22, 2001 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 30
3D graphical buttons give me a headache after awhile. I think headwize is just as good as head-fi in terms of the interfaces. There are certain things that v-bulletin can do that are interesting but it's nothing I feel is absolutely necessary. I like the ability to PM users the most. If Chu added that feature to his forum MY opinion would be that both forums would be decidedly equal in terms of their user interface and available options.

Jul 22, 2001 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 30
Any one of Heads is great for me but not 2 forums with the same theme, people and topics. Oh wait, there's even worse - same theme but different people and topics - means twice as much time to browse and post!

I really wish that both Headwize and Head-fi should be merged into one forum borrowing archives from former and nice tools (especially PM, polls and hosted images) from latter. Running two similar forums only adds to global universe and internet bandwidth entropia
eek.gif

With my huge appreciation, respect and gratitude to CMoy I think he'll be only releived financially and otherwise from running redundant now (oh, please forgive me) Headwize. That's certainly provided that generous people running Head-fi are commited to continue long term. And there're no signs they aren't, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

So, one forum please!

Jul 22, 2001 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by albau
With my huge appreciation, respect and gratitude to CMoy I think he'll be only releived financially and otherwise from running redundant now (oh, please forgive me) Headwize. That's certainly provided that generous people running Head-fi are commited to continue long term. And there're no signs they aren't, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

So, one forum please!

Hmm. I think it's a given that Cmoy wants to run his own board. It's his creation and he's doing everything he can to keep it going.

In that light, how can you call for him to give it up? As has been said before, if everyone votes with their feet, then things will work themselves out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back