Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Sep 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2,386 of 4,123
Quote:
I do believe it is a better sounding device but the bass boost is pretty much there for show now. All 3 levels of boost sound almost the same to me, but I'm a Treble/Mids guy so I don't mind not having overly boosted bass if it means the other freqs are better. I'm also experiencing less interference issues (less than the 3G but its still there a little). If you're a basshead you are probably not going to be happy with a 4G compared to the 3G. I am very happy with my 4G I don't regret the upgrade at all.

x2

The bass boost on the 3G is vastly more preferrable to my ear than is the 4G bass boost (I've heard both). The 4G is not bad ... it's just *very* very subtle and deep ... whereas the 3G circuit is more "tight" ... "snappy" and pronounced. 

Recently my Shure SE535 IEM's were stolen from my local gym ... being sick and pissed ... I immediately sold my Arrow 3G ...swearing to never invest any money in portable gear again.

LOL ...

Then, a day later, I emailed Robert and asked him to send me another Arrow 3G cause I'd already made up my mind to buy another set of Shure SE535's (thieves be damned!) ... this as opposed to the 4G Arrow because I'd heard both with my SE535's and because I knew the 3G was way more fun with them ....

Anyway ... this isn't so much a knock on the 4G as it is a mention of how the earlier version has very different bass boost circuitry... cause I know it's a stellar bit of kit (the 4G...I was a BETA tester for it) ... but for my preferred IEMs? The 3G bass boost allows much more enjoyable possibilities ....

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #2,388 of 4,123
I gotta add guys the battery life is insane, I'm still on the original charge (I went back to check Ive had it exactly 1 month). I have used it as my portable amp/DAC for my laptop since I got it and it has been my only amp/DAC for the last week as I had to put away my fullsize stuff since I'm moving and Ive put on a bunch of time with my HD650 and JH5/TF10 and its still going on the same charge. Sorry for the run-on 
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #2,389 of 4,123
robert emailed me and said the 4g upgrade will be shipped in 1-2 weeks

can't wait

Sep 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #2,390 of 4,123
upgraded 4g !!
just pulled a trigger on this sexy port amp 2 days ago on a local shop,is it possible mine was the upgraded version? since this amp had just arrive to my country few days ago straight from Robs office,i hope it is..

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2,392 of 4,123
Is the 4G a big enough upgrade from the 2.2 to warrant me sending it in for an exchange? I'm pretty satisfied with it now and don't really care for new features on my arrow.

Has the over sound quality improved much since 2.2?

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #2,393 of 4,123
Quote:
I gotta add guys the battery life is insane, I'm still on the original charge (I went back to check Ive had it exactly 1 month). I have used it as my portable amp/DAC for my laptop since I got it and it has been my only amp/DAC for the last week as I had to put away my fullsize stuff since I'm moving and Ive put on a bunch of time with my HD650 and JH5/TF10 and its still going on the same charge. Sorry for the run-on 
biggrin.gif

The 4g has a DAC in it?
confused.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #2,395 of 4,123
upgraded 4g !!
just pulled a trigger on this sexy port amp 2 days ago on a local shop,is it possible mine was the upgraded version? since this amp had just arrive to my country few days ago straight from Robs office,i hope it is..

my bad.. a missunderstanding about the comment above
Though.. it seems there is some better improvement ,
according to some people whom own the earlier 4g batch.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #2,398 of 4,123
Hi guys.

After reading all the great stuff here, I decided to jump back in the Head-Fi game.

Several years ago, I bought a pair of Ety ER4-S, and enjoyed them until, after a few years, my ears revolted against the flanges, foamies, etc.

So I went to the dark side, and used Bose Quiet Comfort. (Yes, I don't blame you if you stop reading. )

I travel overseas a few times per year and decided to revisit the whole thing.

So, I dusted off the Etys, had some custom molds ( Sensaphonic ) made, and bought an Arrow 4G.

Ordered it on September 25, and it arrived today ( 15 days later, including a 3 day delay from Robert's forwarder in HK. ) 

2 hours into this new kit, I'm stunned at how good this all sounds - using an IPOD Classic.

A few early comments, while using a mini - mini (Yes, yes, yes, an LOD is coming. See below. ):

I'm not a bass guy by any means, but the combo of the custom molds and the bass switch gives me everything the Etys alone lacked.

I listened to several types of music and was amazed to hear things I've not heard through an IPOD before.

The custom mold allows me to listen at a much lower level, yet the amp enhances the Etys.

A couple of questions if I may.

1) With the Etys, custom mold, Arrow, and the IPOD, I've got about $1,000 of kit. Will a FiiO L3 or L9 LOD be good enough, or is it worth another $40 - $60 to upgrade?

2) Is there a market for used Bose QC's ? :))

Cheers.

cmasia

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2,400 of 4,123
Hello, 
I purchased the Headstage Arrow amp, and I was wondering if there is a case for just the amp.
If there is could someone please give me some suggestions? 
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I am sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.
Thank You,
NK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back