Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Mar 29, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,953 of 4,123
First impressions:

After listening to the Arrow for a couple hours, I think I fell in love with it.
The bass is nice and tight on bass bosst I. Bass boost II is a bit much for my liking.
Compared to my Mk II, the Arrow is more of what I would call "straight forward". It has warmer touch to it whereas the Mk II sounds kinda dark and cold. When switching back and forth between the amps, the most apparent difference is the soundstage. The soundstage and instrument separation on the Mk II is much bigger than that of the arrow.

Overall I think the arrow produces a very impressive sound for it's size. Some people might even prefer the more straight forward sound of the arrow.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,954 of 4,123

Quote:
First impressions:

After listening to the Arrow for a couple hours, I think I fell in love with it.
The bass is nice and tight on bass bosst I. Bass boost II is a bit much for my liking.
Compared to my Mk II, the Arrow is more of what I would call "straight forward". It has warmer touch to it whereas the Mk II sounds kinda dark and cold. When switching back and forth between the amps, the most apparent difference is the soundstage. The soundstage and instrument separation on the Mk II is much bigger than that of the arrow.

Overall I think the arrow produces a very impressive sound for it's size. Some people might even prefer the more straight forward sound of the arrow.

You really lost me.  Gen 2 or Gen 3?  The Arrow is warmer but Gen '?' is darker and colder??  

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #1,955 of 4,123
Technically speaking gain settings just boost the amplitude associated to a certain point on the volume nob, but does it also alter the sound. In other words does a higher gain setting improve sound quality on larger headphones? I feel like my pro 900s sound more energetic on gain III, but they hiss a bit, so I generally leave it at gain II.

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #1,958 of 4,123

Quote:
The one I'm talking about is Gen 3.
When I said darker and coler, I was referring to the Rx Mk II.

Got it, thanks.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #1,959 of 4,123
I usually equate darker with warmer though 
confused.gif

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #1,961 of 4,123

Quote:
I'm not very experienced at describing sound so I might be wrong. With darker and warmer I associated two different things. But I see what you mean. That would make sense as well.
Maybe I should've just said "colder". =)

Your description of the Arrow as dark is the same as mine, I don't find the Arrow warm though. Your description of "cold" is to me "dry". To me, the Arrow is not a sweet sounding amp at all. I made these comments last year when I received my 1G Arrow. You can search for it. Impressions from Headfonia is similar to mine and yours.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-usual-suspects-12-portable-amps-compared/3/

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,962 of 4,123
Hi
I listen to rock (metal too) bands
My earphone is shure se315 ( will be se535 in future)
Which version I must chosse ( 3G or 4G)
I think 4G is better for me , what do you think?

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #1,963 of 4,123

I personally think the 4G would be awesome with the SE535's as the treble boost option (new to 4G models only) could potentially be fairly fun to play with (I'd rather have that instead of the impedance switching, anyway).

In the future, I might be trading my 2G for the 4G just to explore the treble feature ...

Good luck.

Quote:
Hi
I listen to rock (metal too) bands
My earphone is shure se315 ( will be se535 in future)
Which version I must chosse ( 3G or 4G)
I think 4G is better for me , what do you think?

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #1,964 of 4,123
I enjoyed the Arrow at the meet. The bass boost absolutely destroyed my S:Flo2's user EQ set flat with just the bass boosted. Felt like a proper sub-bass boost rather than just a mid-bass hump (which is obvious given that the lowest frequency the user EQ can boost/cut is 60hz). Bass boost set to 2 was quite possibly OTT for long term listening though and I agree with whoever said that a setting between 1 and 2 would be perfect. Therefore I'd imagine the 4G would in fact be suited to me. I also found it slightly on the dark side as noted above, although the treble boost on the 4G should help there (my player has some treble roll-off already so...).

I was also fascinated to see how small and light it was in the flesh. I think the macro-shots of amps we tend to see on Head-Fi make us imagine things to be bigger than they actually are. The Arrow is TINY.

I'm thinking about ordering one now, however I confess heaving heard the Just Audio portable amp at the meet, I'm torn. The dimensions aren't quite as pocket friendly but it was slightly more detailed and spacious sounding than the Arrow (see the thread on the first page) and is around £200 so roughly in the same price range. The bass is somewhat like the Arrow 3G on +1, which was pleasing to the ear. That said... I still think the Arrow will still be my first choice, especially if I go with this iPod Touch, CLAS, amp set up since the DAC section is fairly large in itself and I'd prefer the 'long and thin' portable amps over the 'short and fat' kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back