Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Feb 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #1,846 of 4,123
I agree a BB setting of .5 would be nice while preserving I and II.  

I'm curious if these impressions of the 1G v. 3G mirror 2G v. 3G.

I'm also curious if hiss/noise is more noticeable on the 3G on Gain 0. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,847 of 4,123
I hear no hiss with any of my gear at gain and imp of 0 or 1 (any combo).  Very minor hiss at gull gain on really high (non-listenable levels) volume.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #1,848 of 4,123

Quote:
grokit-
Great impressions. Yours mirror mine very closely regarding the audible differences of the G1 & G3 Arrows. I think the differences are big enough to warrant the upgrade too. I agree about the bass sometimes being a touch too much on +I, and missing that more subtle finesse of the first bass gain on the Gen 1 amp. But that's the only nitpick I can come up with. Perhaps a future Arrow can incorporate a 3 step bass adjustment to still have that finesse at the first setting... or even a continuously adjustable dial like the volume. Now that would be awesome. Did you notice an increase in soundstage width too? When I was doing very attentive A/B'ing between the two I would also notice an increased sense of air and space when going back to the new Arrow. But like you said, each difference is quite subtle. I'm glad the new one maintains the sonic traits of the 1G. 

Yes, I think that the added high-end detail and more forward upper mids could easily translate into a more airy presentation, and a greater sense of space. Pretty subtle but overall pretty noticeable as well.

And I forgot to add to Robert, great job on improving an already fantastic product!
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,850 of 4,123
Would you say this amp is the way to go if you'd concider getting a reasonably powerful amp featuring bass boost capabilites in this pricange or lower? I read this review and I was particularly impressed by the graph showing frequency response curve how the bass boost settings look like and in my eyes they look near optimal curves if you want stronger bass without a lot of midrange bleed like for example the lowerend FiiO amps suffer from. Also would it be suitable for low impedance headphones? I don't need one currently but it wouldn't hurt knowing what to look for in case the time comes when I really will need one. I actually don't need it to be portable but this one doesn't look to offer anything less than a fullsized one in same price class anyway.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #1,851 of 4,123
Everything that you mentioned are pretty accurate in describing the Arrow amp. It is powerful enough to drive the HD650 (300ohms) with ease and the bass boost is very well implemented. The bass boost sounds very clean and does not distort other frequencies. Low impedance iem/cans pairs very well with the Arrow as well. Its current impedance settings is actually quite good (0/20/65), since the 0 won't effect the low sensitive iem's frequency response while maintaining the quietness (unless you go way out of your way to look for some slight noise...) and 20 is just high enough to filter out some noise and low enough to not affect sound. Aside from the power, its versatility is what really makes it shine. It will work very well from IEMs to many of the less efficient cans :)

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #1,852 of 4,123
Yea driving 300 ohm cans is perfectly enough, don't need 600 ohm capabilities. I also very strongly agree whit the guy who wrote the review I linked in my previous post about an amp should be as neutral as possible and stay as true to the original signal as possible and 12HE seems to do that (ofc without the bassboost enabled). I don't want a permanent coloration added when plugging a headphone to it like was the case with FiiO E5 and Gary's PA2V2 (which I basicly sold it for) because not all headphones will play nicely with it and I rather manually tweak EQ instead and add my own "coloration" based on how I think the particular headphone needs to be tweaked like if necessary. FiiO E5 is so cheap so I haven't bothered selling it but I never use it because it mostly only sounds worse together with my already warm sounding headphones and I would only use it with my computer and I would just like to have an amp I can have recharging all the time so won't need to plug/unplug and FiiO E5 made a very audible hiss/noise when it was recharging and playing at normal listening volumes (while it didn't if I didn't let it recharge). I hope this amp wouldn't make the same noise if constantly let the usb cord be plugged to the comp? Optimally I'd prefer to have a AC/DC input on the amp but if it won't make any noise while recharging from USB port then that's ok too.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,854 of 4,123
I'm not sure if there is much noise when listening and charging at the same time, but from my experience is that you won't need to keep them plugged in all the time. The battery life last FOREVER from a good 2 hour charge using your typical USB wall charger. BTW on a side note, it is found that it is not healthy for the battery to be kept at full capacity for long periods if not used, such as having it constantly plugged in while at fully charged state. So it is probably better to just recharge it daily if you think the battery needs to be recharged.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,855 of 4,123

Quote:
I'm not sure if there is much noise when listening and charging at the same time, but from my experience is that you won't need to keep them plugged in all the time. The battery life last FOREVER from a good 2 hour charge using your typical USB wall charger. BTW on a side note, it is found that it is not healthy for the battery to be kept at full capacity for long periods if not used, such as having it constantly plugged in while at fully charged state. So it is probably better to just recharge it daily if you think the battery needs to be recharged.

Yes I know it's not healthy for the battery life but that's not an issue for me as I would only use it with the desktop computer (not laptop) anyway so it doesn't matter if it works and the rare times I might use it for portable use then a 2hr lasting battery would be sufficient already. I discussed about this with Gary when buying his PA2V2 and he said it would be ok to let it recharge all the time and he does that himself too. I'm just too lazy to mind the recharging bit and I'd hate to lose sound while I'm gaming online so I just want it to work by itself.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #1,856 of 4,123
biggrin.gif

[size=small]Dear Customer , [/size]

[size=small]The status of your order changed.[/size]

[size=small]New status:[/size][size=small] [/size][size=small]Arrow G3 shipped[/size][size=small] [/size]
[size=small]For questions, feel free to anwser to this mail.[/size]

Steve

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #1,857 of 4,123
I received the same email. I am a very happy guy.

Quote:
biggrin.gif

[size=small]Dear Customer , [/size]

[size=small]The status of your order changed.[/size]

[size=small]New status:[/size][size=small] [/size][size=small]Arrow G3 shipped[/size][size=small] [/size]
[size=small]For questions, feel free to answer to this mail.[/size]

Steve

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #1,858 of 4,123
How is the low volume listening with IEM's on the arrow? Do you have much control/range for low volume listening? I've been leaning towards getting the pico slim but this just sounds like it would be a much more fun amp to own with the quality bass boost options. And I think someone who compared g1 to g3 said their was slightly more forward treble presentation in g3, which interests me.

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #1,859 of 4,123
That's what is so great about the gain settings, that it does give you fine control of the volume levels for IEMs. The impedance setting can have an impact in this respect as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back