Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Feb 11, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #1,816 of 4,123
Mine was indeed at the post office, and I will say that I am quite pleased with it at this point. I haven't made any comparisons yet but stay tuned. I just listened to a headphone that I haven't even listened to with the G1 yet but the AD2000 sounds just amazing with the G3 and my iMod/Vcap rig.

On another note, it seemed to arrive a bit under the weather, and was passing through audio but not lighting up and none of the controls were responsive. Robert got back to me via email to address my concerns within the hour. Everything is great now, maybe I had it hooked up wrong the first time somehow or maybe we just had to exorcise the demons, but I just wanted to mention that IME Robert has always been quite responsive to my concerns.

But that's also probably because I don't bug him about silly stuff that he has no control over anyways 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #1,817 of 4,123
Awesome Grokit. I saw your pic over at the pictures of your portable rig thread. Let me know if you hear the same slight increase in fullness of the sound, and subtle broadening of the soundstage. Something about the 3G's sound is just that extra bit more full by comparison, by my ears! 

Curious that yours was a bit under the weather. All has not been smooth sailing with mine either. After a few times switching back and forth with my Arrow 1G yesterday, the 3G's sound started cutting out to a washed out, thin effect. But with a little fiddling with the headphone jack, or volume knob, it would come back in. For a while it was very intermittent on keeping the full range sound. So far today it's fine though. Very bizarre. I wonder if it's some loose connections at the front of the board. Robert answered back for me quickly too, but hasn't had any solutions offered just yet. I am not sure what to do with this one at the moment, so I will listen today at work and see how it behaves. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #1,818 of 4,123
Just ordered mine...Now the wait..Hopefully its smooth sailing..

Steve

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #1,819 of 4,123
cn11, how do you like your Sony x1060?  Have you compared it to an ipod/iphone with LOD?  I am contemplating an upgrade in my audio player.  I am digging the sound with my ipod mini/arrow 3g/senn 650 but I think I got the upgrade bug now.

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #1,820 of 4,123
I do have an iPhone 4, but honestly I haven't done much comparing of it with the Arrow against the Sony X with the Arrow. I will do just that in the next few days and report back. 

When comparing the X with the iPhone 4 straight from the headphone outs, I can tell you the iPhone is brighter with a bit more air in the treble. But the low end isn't as nice compared to the X. The Sony is more warm and mellow in its sound. I prefer the X when just using it as a player without the amp. 

I will give this same comparison a go with the Arrow soon though.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #1,821 of 4,123
Too bad Skylab hasn't reviewed the Arrow yet. Is Robert afraid of getting a not-so-good review?
I am curious to see what this amp is capable of compared to the others on his review list.

Personally I am very satisfied with my Arrow.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #1,822 of 4,123

Quote:
Too bad Skylab hasn't reviewed the Arrow yet. Is Robert afraid of getting a not-so-good review?
I am curious to see what this amp is capable of compared to the others on his review list.

Forum drama: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-last-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b/3075#post_7199787

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #1,823 of 4,123
Thanks. That clears up some of the confusion. I've been absent from the board for a while.

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,825 of 4,123
Lol...wish I had.  But god forbid you say something that could be misconstrued as either supporting Robert or saying anything that could be taken as casting Jan in any sort of negative light, and you get pummelled by fanboys and need to beat them away with a stick. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #1,827 of 4,123
Lol, thanks...I refused to get drawn into an internet argument, especially over something I really could care less about, lol.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #1,828 of 4,123
Who cares if its a "clone"?  Its not like there's a ton of room for deviation in this kind of circuit design anyway.  Everyone is doing the same thing (amplifying a low voltage audio signal) with their choice of the same commercially available off the shelf parts.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #1,830 of 4,123
The issue is that supposedly Mr. Meier put in dummy circuitry and the like into his amps, that if copied would reveal that the design was directly copied from his work.  Also, Robert at first denied all of this, and was indeed caught out in lying about stealing/duplicating/"paying homage to"/improving on this design.  The Ohman design is public domain, but Jan is adamant that intellectual property was infringed upon.  In any event, all of that is in the past, and Robert's current works are not in any way infringement or theft.  They are simply a distillation of obsessive tinkering and pursuit of perfection.  And yes, I'm drunk...lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back