Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Feb 7, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #1,801 of 4,123
I can't wait for mine to arrive, that review just got me even more excited.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,802 of 4,123
Feb 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #1,804 of 4,123
Feb 8, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #1,807 of 4,123
The SM3 doesn't really gain anything by amping them, but like dfkt says if your source is lousy it'll help.  I DO use it with my SM3s though because I like the crossfeed and bass boost options.  If I want to travel uber-light though, it's just the Brothers 3, J & SM.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,808 of 4,123
Uh oh
eek.gif

Quote:
I have to disagree. Have you heard any of the Hifiman players? It is not possible for you to compare this player with a Sansa Fuze, for example. Even J3 loses by a wide margin.

Cheers,

Peter

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #1,810 of 4,123
Mine arrived about a couple of hours ago, first impressions: very good, the size is unbelievable...smaller than expected. So far I've only been playing around with my SR80i's using a 7th gen iPod classic & find that the Arrow really fills out the sound just as well as my Yulong D-100 (the SR80's to me sound great un-amped but really open up with a little amplification) The bass feature is great. Been listening to some Daft Punk, and now some Guns & Roses.......might be listening for a while 

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,811 of 4,123

Just received the upgrade 3G Arrow today, and am having my first listen. I am going to do some comparing back to back with my 1G for a day or so before I send it back. I appreciate that Robert sends out the upgrade unit before he receives the older one so this is possible. 

I did have a quick back and forth with both briefly already, and I think I do hear a slight improvement in treble sparkle. But additionally I believe I'm hearing a tad more depth to the soundstage. It seems every so slightly more spacious. Hiss seems about identical to me between the units using my Pro 900s during quiet musical passages. Of course the bass increases are more noticeable at each setting. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #1,812 of 4,123
Thanks for the impressions cn11, I am hoping my exchange will be here soon as well. Actually I haven't been to the po box in a while, maybe it's here now. Mostly I am glad I didn't cancel, as I have been wondering what the point of upgrading actually is but your impressions are exactly what I suppose I was hoping for.
It "sounds" like it will be worth it 
wink.gif

On another note, has anybody tried the Arrow with an Edition 8? Hopefully I will be able to compare the two Arrows with a set soon!

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #1,813 of 4,123
No prob grokit. So far it does indeed 'sound' like the upgrade is worth it! I just did a little more going back and forth with both Arrows, listening to Radiohead's In Rainbows, and I am confirming what I thought from before. Over lunch hour I was out thinking to myself... 'did I really hear any difference?'... but it is there. It's quite subtle, but the new one is just that slight bit more open sounding, and leaves you with this feeling of a hint of bigger sound. I think this is mostly from the increase in space and stage depth. It's actually a nice discovery hearing that extra openness. Instrument separation is that little bit more deep and noticeable as a result. I'm surprised Robert didn't talk about any gain in stage when he was noting the sonic differences because I do hear that. 

More to come as the 3G burns in.

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #1,814 of 4,123
I have paired the Arrow with my iphone 4, ipod mini (second generation), and ipod nano (first generation) via LOD.  All sources sound much better in powering my SE530s and especially my HD650s.  I have found that the mini sounds the best to my ears.  The iphone 4 is next best, then the nano.  Both the mini and the nano carry Wolfson DACs.  With the iphone 4, I have to go to "airplane" mode to eliminate interference-- another reason to use my previously dust-gathering mini.

What do you guys think about getting a better portable player?  What would you recommend?  I don't want to shell out more than say $200 and I don't want something too bulky.  I have looked into the Sansa, the sflo2, cowon, etc. on this board and can't really discern what I should do.  There appears to be some serious debate as to how much of an improvement that a "better" source will sound compared to the ipods.  Thoughts? 

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #1,815 of 4,123
The three daps you mentioned are good choices by all accounts. I would select one based on personal preferences regarding features desirable to you such as form factor, ergonomics, storage size and ease of use. Sound quality variations between these highly regarded units is probably minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back