Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Dec 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #1,351 of 4,123
I have the J3 with an Arrow on the way...someday...but let me tell you the J3 sounds fantastic.  It uses a Wolfson DAC chip, and the JetEffect 3.0 & BBE+ EQ settings really allow you to sculpt the sound to your liking with any headphone.  You get a lot of different degrees of effects and flavor, but they still manage to sound "right"...maybe not 100% natural, but leagues better than any Dolby Headphone or preset EQ I've come across before.  The interface and features are awesome too, not to mention the AMOLED screen.  I'd say bang for your buck wise if you were looking for either a J3 OR an Arrow, I'd definitely go for the J3.  Both allow you a lot of versatility, bass boost, crossfeed (the J3 does something different, but the effect amounts to a crossfeed-like output), and they both drive a large array of phones well (the J3 has no problem with any of my phones except the HD650, but can even drive the 150 ohm Ety ER-4S just fine).

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #1,352 of 4,123

Quote:
thanx for all the feedback guys
jecklinsmile.gif

regarding the clip+ /arrow outdoor questions , i am gonna use the amp only when indoors i guess (outdoors i will use my re-zero which are less expensive and thus nerve-wrecking if damaged)

i may upgrade at some point to a better DAP (j3 ?) but my main concern/goal is whether this amp can make the clip/262 synergy even better , that's the focal point

ok , to put it another way

would you rather spend some money to get the arrow OR to upgrade from clip+ to J3 ? 
confused.gif

Also thanx for mentiong that the arrow works great with the 252 as well , as this means i coud use it for my 252 besides the 262 
bigsmile_face.gif

damn I love this forum
beerchug.gif

(even though it makes me spend way more money than i thought  )

Source is always important.  I have the Fuze and at one point I thought about replacing it, I am sure they're better DAPs out there but I really like the Fuze, size, line-out feature with expandable memory is really hard to beat, especially for the price.  It's all up to you.  Either way, you'll see benefits from either a new DAP or amp.  However, since you have the RE262, I don't know if the J3 can properly drive them.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #1,353 of 4,123
From the headstage site concerning the price of the arrow

US $ 265.00 excl. VAT

i may be noobie but i know how much an amp costs my friend
wink_face.gif

not big of a difference to me/you , but someone out there may not  think the same

anyway the whole feedback from everyone here has helped me clear this matter in my head

money-wise J3 seems better , BUT i already have a dap (clip+) and i don't have an amp , and judging by my 262 i think an amp will help em out

besides as rawster mentioned in another thread , the 262 really drain the battery of his J3

so it's gonna go for the  arrow first(if/when) , J3 LATER and if i don't like it i can always return it (the 1st bold is false , but the 2nd one is mighty true and helpful)

Thanx for your help
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Is there a better amp at that price-level ?

I am kinda noobie , and 300$ $265 seem like a lot of money so i am thinking whether i will get a sound improvement that justifies spending such a large amount of money

help me out here folks
beyersmile.png

As indicated the price is $265 not $300 and I personally doubt very much you will get a better amp for this amount of money. When people speak of synergy I start to cringe a bit as IMO a good amp should drive most headphones well (unless specifically designed for IEMs) Whether the improvement is worth it is up to the ears of the person listening. The thing that makes it easier to recommend the Arrow for most set-ups is it's exceptional adaptability (all the settings). If you are looking primarily for more clean, clear volume I doubt you will be disappointed. If for some reason you are, I believe there is a 30 day money back guaranty so all you are out is the very little it costs to mail it back.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #1,354 of 4,123
Has ANYBODY in the 2,800's (order number) received theirs yet, by any chance, or gotten "item shipped" notification?  If you've gotten yours in the past few days or so, can you please list what order number you had?  Thx!

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #1,355 of 4,123
I'd be really interested to hear how the J3 goes with the Arrow! Might get one myself if your experience is positive 
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

I have the J3 with an Arrow on the way...someday...but let me tell you the J3 sounds fantastic.  It uses a Wolfson DAC chip, and the JetEffect 3.0 & BBE+ EQ settings really allow you to sculpt the sound to your liking with any headphone.  You get a lot of different degrees of effects and flavor, but they still manage to sound "right"...maybe not 100% natural, but leagues better than any Dolby Headphone or preset EQ I've come across before.  The interface and features are awesome too, not to mention the AMOLED screen.  I'd say bang for your buck wise if you were looking for either a J3 OR an Arrow, I'd definitely go for the J3.  Both allow you a lot of versatility, bass boost, crossfeed (the J3 does something different, but the effect amounts to a crossfeed-like output), and they both drive a large array of phones well (the J3 has no problem with any of my phones except the HD650, but can even drive the 150 ohm Ety ER-4S just fine).

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #1,357 of 4,123
What Golden Monkey says is so true. The J3 sound can be sculpted to any preferential soundscape your into. Its very flexible and drives all my cans very well. I just broke in my Grado 325is cans and I love the sound. Sure......out of the box, the Grados are bright, but the eq on the J3 allows me to tone the high end down to a level I can enjoy.
I've also ordered the Arrow and hoping that the combination of the J3 and Arrow will do the Senn HD650 justice. We'll see?
I'm order 2940. So I have a ways to go. I'll just enjoy the J3 until then.
Golden Monkey, since you'll be getting your Arrow soon(er), I'd be interested on what your thoughts are with this lethal combination?

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #1,358 of 4,123
You can count on my impressions, no worries.  It'll be the J3 w/FLAC, Whiplash TWag mini, the Arrow, and the ESW9A's, Beyer T50p and the EarSonics SM3...should be FUN!

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #1,359 of 4,123
what is your current msg from order checkout ?

Quote:
What Golden Monkey says is so true. The J3 sound can be sculpted to any preferential soundscape your into. Its very flexible and drives all my cans very well. I just broke in my Grado 325is cans and I love the sound. Sure......out of the box, the Grados are bright, but the eq on the J3 allows me to tone the high end down to a level I can enjoy.
I've also ordered the Arrow and hoping that the combination of the J3 and Arrow will do the Senn HD650 justice. We'll see?
I'm order 2940. So I have a ways to go. I'll just enjoy the J3 until then.
Golden Monkey, since you'll be getting your Arrow soon(er), I'd be interested on what your thoughts are with this lethal combination?

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #1,360 of 4,123
Hey mediogre help me out here please

does the clip+ need a LO with the arrow or it's fine just the way it is ?

i am expecting a clip+ very soon and i wonder if besides the arrow , anything else is needed in order for maximum performance(a LO for instance) ...

Thanx guys

Quote:
I "have" to use my Clip+ in the server room today (And I'll be perfectly happy)... so 
tongue_smile.gif
 on you. 
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #1,361 of 4,123
I ordered this several days ago actually. So the order is pending.

I have a long way to go, so I'm hoping for a peek into similar combos. I'm excited at the prospect of getting a little bit more out of the J3 with a nice amp.

I run a comparable lossless format. That being WMA. I have both. But my WMA library is much more complete. I had to move to WMA, cause my BMW sound system does not recognize FLAC. Only MP3 and WMA. Obviously, the lossless format has much greater detail than MP3.........undeniably better clarity, depth and sound stage. For me, the lossless format is the first step in reaching or experiencing audio nirvana. You gotta have a good source to start with. Bottom line.

I'd like to know anyone's impressions of the 650's with a J3 and Arrow amp. I know this is not the most appropriate pairing. I don't plan on running around the neighborhood with the 650s as part of a portable setup. I use my portable to move about the house; as opposed to staying stationary and  tethered to fixed source like the computer or stereo.

For me, having several types of cans and IEMs throws some variety into the mix.

I've read alot of good things about the Senns650s. I'm sure the Arrow will provide ample amp needed to run these bad boys. I'd just like to hear other opinions and thoughts with similar combos.

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #1,362 of 4,123

Quote:
Hey mediogre help me out here please

does the clip+ need a LO with the arrow or it's fine just the way it is ?

i am expecting a clip+ very soon and i wonder if besides the arrow , anything else is needed in order for maximum performance(a LO for instance) ...

Thanx guys

Quote:
I "have" to use my Clip+ in the server room today (And I'll be perfectly happy)... so 
tongue_smile.gif
 on you. 
wink.gif

There is no LO for the Clip+.  However it has been mention if you set the Clip volume to zero you can essentially defeat the internal headphone amp thus converting it to LO.  Haven't tried this yet on mine since my Clip gets the least eartime of my DAPs.

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #1,363 of 4,123

Quote:

I'd like to know anyone's impressions of the 650's with a J3 and Arrow amp. I know this is not the most appropriate pairing. I don't plan on running around the neighborhood with the 650s as part of a portable setup. I use my portable to move about the house; as opposed to staying stationary and  tethered to fixed source like the computer or stereo.

I've read alot of good things about the Senns650s. I'm sure the Arrow will provide ample amp needed to run these bad boys. I'd just like to hear other opinions and thoughts with similar combos.

I'm your man then!  I'll post details for you when I have the damn amp in hand, lol...

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #1,364 of 4,123

Quote:
From the headstage site concerning the price of the arrow

US $ 265.00 excl. VAT

As indicated the price is $265 not $300 and I personally doubt very much you will get a better amp for this amount of money. When people speak of synergy I start to cringe a bit as IMO a good amp should drive most headphones well (unless specifically designed for IEMs) Whether the improvement is worth it is up to the ears of the person listening. The thing that makes it easier to recommend the Arrow for most set-ups is it's exceptional adaptability (all the settings). If you are looking primarily for more clean, clear volume I doubt you will be disappointed. If for some reason you are, I believe there is a 30 day money back guaranty so all you are out is the very little it costs to mail it back.

Sorry...I got my price from here: http://www.headphonia.com/The-Arrow-Amp/Headstage-Arrow-12HE-3G-High-Efficiency::10138.html where no VAT is mentioned. We don't pay it in Canada (or the US) so it was an honest oversight. Would it not be the case that every amp would cost more (by the same percentage) than it's listed price in your country? If so, the price ratio difference between amps remains the same.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #1,365 of 4,123

Quote:
Quote:

I'm your man then!  I'll post details for you when I have the damn amp in hand, lol...

If the J3 uses the Wolfson chip then it will likely sound a lot like the DAC cable (although probably potentially louder if using the HO). The Little Dot DAC which uses a single WM8740 sounded great as did the DacMagic which uses two of them. If you are asking if the J3 needs an amp with the HD650s I would certainly think so but I have not heard it as of yet. I use the Arrow with 650s and ended up with a Matrix Mini-i as a DAC (when not using the DAC cable). The Cowan J3 certainly sounds like it would be a great DAP
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back