Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Nov 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #1,158 of 4,123
hi guys, just wondering.

Will the Arrow be better than the M-stage for an akg k701?

If their almost the same, then ill pick the arrow because of the form factor but if the m-stage is way much better then i'll get an M-stage

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #1,159 of 4,123
The Arrow is a pretty powerful portable but it will clip with the K701 IME. It needs a lot of current and I would think that the M-Stage is much more likely to drive them adequately but I have not heard that combo.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #1,160 of 4,123

Quote:
hi guys, just wondering.

Will the Arrow be better than the M-stage for an akg k701?

If their almost the same, then ill pick the arrow because of the form factor but if the m-stage is way much better then i'll get an M-stage

I have the AKG701's and the Arrow drives them brilliantly. I've also got a Ray Sam Raptor and a Woo 6 SE here at the house and so I have some decent points of comparison.

In fact, I enjoy the AKG701's more through the Arrow as it's bass boost (setting 1) gives the 701's just that little bit of "heft" that I've always thought they lack with certain types of music. And regarding said bass boost circuit? It is exceptionally clean, tight and without bloat or "wool" or ugliness of any kind. Best bass boost circuit I've ever heard and the fact that it's got two incremental settings makes it even more useful.

The Arrow is my go to amp when listening to the 701's (much to the chagrin of it's more lofty, desktop neighbors) :wink:

YMMV.

Best!
s1rrah

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #1,161 of 4,123
I placed my order today
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #1,162 of 4,123

Quote:

I have the AKG701's and the Arrow drives them brilliantly.

-snip-

YMMV.

You must not be listening very loudly.

My K701 clips at high volume with the Arrow during complex passages, but not quite as bad as my HE-5 does.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #1,164 of 4,123

Quote:
source dependant?

ALAC > iMod > Solid Silver LOD, but I will try it again with a V-Cap dock soon and double-check the impedance settings.

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #1,165 of 4,123

Quote:

ALAC > iMod > Solid Silver LOD, but I will try it again with a V-Cap dock soon and double-check the impedance settings.

To be fair to "grokit" ...

I did re visit the AKG701's with my Arrow amp. And, I cranked the volume up way beyond what I'd typically listen at. And? To his/her credit ... at Real Loud Ass(tm) volumes, there was some clipping/distortion. But again ... this was at volumes three times (or more) what I'd typically listen at (and I'm a band whore/member from way back and my ears are at least 1/4th shredded) ... so I can't imagine anyone actually deeming to listen at such levels.

Anyway ..

I have no knowledge of the M-Stage amp. So my comments remain. 

The Arrow is quite delicious with the AKG701 phones. 

YMMV.

Best!

s1rrah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back