Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Mar 30, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #226 of 4,123
Hey All

I have just put an order through for an Arrow Amp and just wondering if any of you have used it with the UE tf10 Pro?

Ben

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #229 of 4,123
woops forgot to add the rest of the question.

ok so the question do u notice any buzzing or unbalanced sound with the amp and IEM set up?

Ben

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #231 of 4,123
I have received my Headstage Arrow just yesterday and haven't properly examined it but my first impressions are very positive. It makes my RE0 sound better than ever. Actually, it makes my RE0 sound so good I don't feel like upgrading my IEMs at this point. A MIRACLE!!
smily_headphones1.gif
With this current portable setup, listening to Rome's "Flowers from Exile" watching the rain outside hit the window is intense and beautiful.

Setup:
- Sony X1050 16gb, all music 320kbps
- Sony X LOD
- Headstage Arrow 12HE
- Head Direct/Hifiman RE0 w. 100+ hours on 'em

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #232 of 4,123
Quote:

No buzz, no hiss, no imbalance.

Quite an accomplishment for an amp that can drive HD650s to a decent volume without distortion. I happen to like 650s but I'm pretty sure many lower ohm cans could achieve much more of their full potential with this little amp. I'd guess the automatic voltage regulation is largely responsible for it's versatility.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #233 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negakinu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have received my Headstage Arrow just yesterday and haven't properly examined it but my first impressions are very positive. It makes my RE0 sound better than ever. Actually, it makes my RE0 sound so good I don't feel like upgrading my IEMs at this point. A MIRACLE!!
smily_headphones1.gif
With this current portable setup, listening to Rome's "Flowers from Exile" watching the rain outside hit the window is intense and beautiful.

Setup:
- Sony X1050 16gb, all music 320kbps
- Sony X LOD
- Headstage Arrow 12HE
- Head Direct/Hifiman RE0 w. 100+ hours on 'em

Did yours come w/ the proper case, or is Robert gonna have to send the correct case to you later?

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #235 of 4,123
Mine arrived today and initial impressions are excellent. I'll need to do some more serious listening before I come to any real conclusions, but it definitely sounds great with my Westone 3's. That said, the soundstage does sound larger and the mids seem to have been brought forward to match the deep bass and sparkling treble of the W3's. My case is also blank but all the switches and connections are labeled on the amp ie no stickers.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #236 of 4,123
I've had mine for a while now, and must say that I am really liking the adaptability and customization options on the 12HE (in addition to great sound, beucoup power without hiss, and a perfect form factor!).

Today heard the really annoying "Revolution 9" from the Beatles White album, and the left/right panning seemed to actually slow down when I switched the crossfeed setting from I to II. Of course there isn't enough crossfeed in the world for that particular song, but I was impressed that I was able to notice the difference.

The impedance and gain settings are all noticeable, and fun to play with different combinations when adjusting to different headphones.

Thanks again Robert, great job! Good things sometimes do come to those who wait
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #237 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of a silly question perhaps, but is anyone here using their Arrow w/ an LOD terminted w/ a Viablue 3.5mm mini connector? Looking at pics of the Viablue, the housing part LOOKS thicker, maybe even thicker than the Arrow? I wouldn't want to set my Arrow on a tabletop & have pressure put on the mini plug housing...

Hey feverfive,

Here are some photos of my setup with a DIY cable with two Viablue connectors. The barrel/sleeve is a good millimeter or so thicker on either side than the Arrow, but it only matters on the side facing away from my DAP. For the Oreo center, I opted for the Velcro instead of the Powerstrip to provide a little buffer. It bugged me a little at first, but now not a bit. And the Viablues with the carbon Techflex and two devices just looks cool. FWIW - I haven't gone through Airport security with it yet though. I've probably seen too many movies, but it looks kinda like a remote detonator to me.

-Ogre

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #238 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite an accomplishment for an amp that can drive HD650s to a decent volume without distortion. I happen to like 650s but I'm pretty sure many lower ohm cans could achieve much more of their full potential with this little amp. I'd guess the automatic voltage regulation is largely responsible for it's versatility.

I completely agree. The little device is a marvel.

I only hear slight hiss when using my SE530s with the GAIN on III and IMP on 0. However, it's quite tolerable, it's pushed way back and it's not high pitched. I understand that lower impedance, IEMs can produce horrible hiss when amplified, but when my Senns aren't feasible, the Shure/Arrow pairing is rich and they do indeed shine with their full potential (or close to it) Hellenback.

I mainly use the IMP 0 setting to urge the most out of the highs. Mids need nothing and are absolutely nuclear. I usually use the BASS II setting, but sometimes, depending on the recording, I have to turn it down to I. The BASS is fat and tight though if that makes sense. I'm so glad I bought this amp. So are my Shures.
wink.gif

-Ogre

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #239 of 4,123
Quote:

I only hear slight hiss when using my SE530s with the GAIN on III and IMP on 0

That's really something. I would assume anyone using IEMs would have the Arrow on the lowest Gain setting. Even with HD650s gain III can provide volume beyond safe levels for prolonged listening. Sometimes I'll use Gain II with the 650s and have the volume dialed up a bit depending on how "hot" the recording is. I've found the different settings can often optimize the sound for the particular recording. If the people who spend $350->$450 on portables heard this amp, they would have a very had time defending the cost in terms of SQ. I know blind testing is anathema around here, but I'd love to see some of the results/preferences with the Arrow in the mix!

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #240 of 4,123
@ Hellenback

I do like it loud.
wink.gif
But I also find that the settings combination of IMP 0, GAIN III, and DAP on 11/20 provides the most detail and flexibility when using the Arrow to modulate volume.

"Anathema" lol! Reap what we sow and tell no lies. This being my first plunge into portable audio supercharging, I'd love see some taste test results too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back