Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Mar 8, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #61 of 4,123
LODmadebyQUSPMOThere.jpg

Here's a picture I found here on head-fi of the same style LOD. It was posted by someone who isn't concerned with advertising his website in his pictures. This is a custom low profile LOD made by Qusp (MOT) for another head-fier. I have no idea what it cost and don't know Qusp (Jeremy).

LODmadebyQUSPMOThere-1.jpg

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #63 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that is the one. But, what is that doing in someone elses photobucket? I took that shot!

Off topic, in order for that other person to post it, photobucket makes you load to your photobucket to give you IMG code and yes they allow that. AFAIK any content you load to them, even private account is subject to their rules.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #64 of 4,123
I don't have issue with that - but my logo was also stripped away. Perhaps my good faith in not smearing with a watermark was unfounded.

Back on topic: that LOD should work great with a slim amp like the Arrow. It works great with my iBasso T3D.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #65 of 4,123
My USB DAC Cable arrived today, just 3 days, including the weekend (the USPS stamp says Mar. 5th). That's excellent shipping time. Off the bat on my Pico amp, its very good listening on my ER4P APS recabled. Very detailed. Good stuff.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #66 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems I offended someone by posting a picture linked above. Sorry about that, I was just trying to confirm the LOD.

posting a picture is fine of course, but editing out the original location, however, is offensive. I've had that happen before and I take it that if it happens again, I really should watermark the entire image, but that ruins the image and I don't like to do it.

But, if it does keep happening (where the logo is taken out and the picture edited), it will happen.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #67 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by zappp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Average Joe,

some images show iPod touch or iPhone with a very compact line out adapter, where the cable exits on the side, combined with an angled 3.5mm plug. Where you got that from?

Z

I'm guessing he most likely made it himself.

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #68 of 4,123
There are a few companies selling them, if you have the scratch. RSA has a version for $125 I believe, and there is another company I saw (forget their name) which makes one similarly priced I believe.

I had started a thread about contacting an OEM like iBasso or Fiio and seeing if they could make them, but the thread was deleted due to a misunderstanding. Jude was supposed to restore it, but I think he forgot. Didn't seem to be a terribly large amount of interest anyway.

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #70 of 4,123
Sorry, but $120 for these cables is outrageous! There is even one for $260. I mean we talk about 1.5" of wire, a Neutrik jack and a slim iPod dock that alltogether retail for $10.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #71 of 4,123
I agree, although I think most of these LOD use fancy pants wires. As to whether they make an audible difference, well I remain highly skeptical.

Unless somebody is manufacturing/mass producing a dock connector with the cable exiting perpendicular to the connector, making these from regular dock connectors can be quite labor intensive which may explain part of it.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #73 of 4,123
Likely the Fiio L1 at about $10 is the cheapest commercially available LOD. I further believe that bottlenecks in any LOD design are the multiple, small soldering joints and the small contact areas between plugs and sockets. The absence of goldplating on the dock adapters already may cause nightmares among "high end" afficionados. That being said, any magic twist, shield, cryo treatment or massive precious metal on that 1.5" stretch of wire between dock adapter and 3.5mm jack hardly causes any noticeable difference.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #74 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by zappp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but $120 for these cables is outrageous! There is even one for $260. I mean we talk about 1.5" of wire, a Neutrik jack and a slim iPod dock that alltogether retail for $10.

Just be glad you're not locked in to the balanced Protector's world; you can't even burn the damn thing in with out dropping big bucks on a Whiplash balanced adapter for your headphones, which also may need to be converted!

Not that's a bad thing, going balanced and all, I'm just sayin...

But we're just talking regular iPod dock cables here right, not iMod? Head-direct has $30 and $50 options, but not with the side-exit thing.

They also have a $20 solution along the lines of what I am planning for my iMod/Arrow rig:

imod-dock-connector1.gif

Of course I paid way more than $20 for this one (from ALO) being iMod and all, but I have a great diy right-angle cable that should work for the interconnect, just gotta get some of those bands now I guess!

Speaking of those bands, kids size for the Arrow with a thin 5.5g full-size iPod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back