Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Jun 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #571 of 4,123
Blech...I'm also intrigued by the newer version of the Arrow even though I try to avoid chasing marginal improvements in tech (of course, I'm making an assumption about the level of improvement here).  [sigh]  In then end, I'm loathe to go through another waiting period, so I won't be sending mine in to get upgraded.  Waiting for my first one to arrive was enough of a pain; I'll wait a while before doing that again (yeah, I'm an impatient person).

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #572 of 4,123
I kinda doubt that it will sound much different from the existing Arrow. I like the bass. However, my preferences are a little more extension at the top and the mids a little more forward. But this may make it sound bright for other people. So I may just stick with the Arrow that I have now.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #573 of 4,123

Quote:
I kinda doubt that it will sound much different from the existing Arrow. I like the bass. However, my preferences are a little more extension at the top and the mids a little more forward. But this may make it sound bright for other people. So I may just stick with the Arrow that I have now.

I agree. Although through the HD650s I auditioned through the Arrow, every frequency sounded bitchin and balanced. I've never before heard treble with that level of separation and detail. I also think frequency presence (perhaps not extension) has a lot to do with the DAP. Now that I'm getting the hang of my Clip+, I'm dialing back on the bass - even with my SE530s which are bassically anemic. However, my flat as a (insert rude metaphor here) Zune, paired with the Shures and Arrow still needs a punch in the bass. I don't know what to make of "more" bass. As it is, now that I've acclimated to its signature, the Arrow's BASS II setting is too much for me. 

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #574 of 4,123

Quote:
I agree. Although through the HD650s I auditioned through the Arrow, every frequency sounded bitchin and balanced. I've never before heard treble with that level of separation and detail. I also think frequency presence (perhaps not extension) has a lot to do with the DAP. Now that I'm getting the hang of my Clip+, I'm dialing back on the bass - even with my SE530s which are bassically anemic. However, my flat as a (insert rude metaphor here) Zune, paired with the Shures and Arrow still needs a punch in the bass. I don't know what to make of "more" bass. As it is, now that I've acclimated to its signature, the Arrow's BASS II setting is too much for me. 

This could very well be due to the frequency response of my ER4P. However, I get more air from my D10 and TTVJ Hybrid. One thing that I'm theorizing is that the noise floor/distortion of the Arrow is much lower than either of those amps.

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #575 of 4,123
I switched to my ER4S which has a more forward mids and highs. This is the first time that I listened on my ER4S through the Arrow. And sure enough the mids are a little more forward and highs too, more open, just what I like.
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #576 of 4,123

Quote:
I switched to my ER4S which has a more forward mids and highs. This is the first time that I listened on my ER4S through the Arrow. And sure enough the mids are a little more forward and highs too, more open, just what I like.
ksc75smile.gif

Ahh, experimentation is a good thing! You're just flaunting your Etymotic collection though. :wink: Glad to hear you're getting what you want. It's hard to describe that sensation to the typical earbud 128Kbps "CD quality" listener.

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #579 of 4,123

Quote:
Nowadays CD quality actually means 320kbps.

Dude, I was being sarcastic. :wink: If you ever get the chance to play around with sound files in a spectral analysis tool, you'll find that 320 doesn't preserve the CD quality. It's funny, but I've got relatively recent conversion tools that still list "128 Kbps (CD Quality)" in the in the bitrate settings preference menu. It's beyond silly.

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #580 of 4,123

Quote:
Hy everyone!
Its gonna be kinda off topic but I'm a little confused...
As i've mentioned before I'm planning to buy an Arrow, BUT I dont know what would be better:
- Buy the Arrow and use it with my current "rig" and save up for some HD600
or
- buy a used HD600 now and then save up for the Arrow?

I dont know...The first option might be better but I'm not sure...
What do you think?
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

I'm using Turbine pro Coppers (as well as HD650s) and I'd suggest get the Arrow as it will give your Golds new life. It will make the wait for the 600s easier
wink.gif
Just my 2 cents.

OTOH, you could get the 600s now and actually use them, and get the Arrow later when there is less wait time and you will perhaps appreciate the difference it brings more. If you order the Arrow now, it could be a month or two without any new toys...

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #581 of 4,123

Quote:

OTOH, you could get the 600s now and actually use them, and get the Arrow later when there is less wait time and you will perhaps appreciate the difference it brings more. If you order the Arrow now, it could be a month or two without any new toys...

Grokit is right- get something that can give you more of an instant gratification. If you buy the 600's, you can have them in your hands in 1-2 weeks, whereas if you order the Arrow, you wont be getting it for a minimum of 1 month.

BTW: This is a bit off topic, but since we're on the topic of the Senn HD 6x0's, has anyone hear the 600/650's and a pair of Grados? I've actually been listening to a set of Grado SR80i's for a few days and like them, but my house is too noisy to really listen to them (too much noise leaking both in and out). I'm ready to order the HD650, but I'm worried it's going to leak in and out just as much. 

That and I can't find the HD650's for a good price. The cheapest I've found is around $400, but I keep reading of people getting them for around $300ish. =/

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #582 of 4,123
I can't speak from personal experience but seeing as both are fully open headphones the sound leakage should be similar. On the other hand, the SR80i are superaural and the HD650s are circumaural.

It depends on whether you want new, used, or new with warranty. If you want the best deal with warranty, you need an authorized dealer, check for this specifically wherever you buy it from.

If you want just New, NIB, or used, you can find it for less than $400. Amazon has it for less than $400.
The two best places to check are ebay.com and head-fi's FS Forums. Check out these links:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/493136/fs-sennheiser-hd650-perfect-as-new-condition

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-HD650-HD-650-Open-Audiophile-Pro-Headphones-/220615019636?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item335dae0c74

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Audiophile-Headphones-HD650-NEW-/200478316827?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ead70591b

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-HD650-HD-650-Pro-Stereo-Headphone-BRAND-NEW-/330439769603?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cefbebe03

You will have to wait and check constantly to find it for $300 or less.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #583 of 4,123

Quote:

Grokit is right- get something that can give you more of an instant gratification. If you buy the 600's, you can have them in your hands in 1-2 weeks, whereas if you order the Arrow, you wont be getting it for a minimum of 1 month.

BTW: This is a bit off topic, but since we're on the topic of the Senn HD 6x0's, has anyone hear the 600/650's and a pair of Grados? I've actually been listening to a set of Grado SR80i's for a few days and like them, but my house is too noisy to really listen to them (too much noise leaking both in and out). I'm ready to order the HD650, but I'm worried it's going to leak in and out just as much. 

That and I can't find the HD650's for a good price. The cheapest I've found is around $400, but I keep reading of people getting them for around $300ish. =/

Hey Panges,

I've auditioned the 650s and a few Grados. Read my thoughts in the Senn HD650 appreciation thread. For me, the balance and detail of the 650 couldn't be beat. (However, I made a conscious and painful effort to stay away from the GS1000 and HD800 though. :) )

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #584 of 4,123
LOL. I love my Sennheiser HD650's. My best buy in months. Got them cheap used. Looking forward to pairing them with the Arrow HE.
atsmile.gif

Now I also want to buy silver cables for the headphones. And those cost almost the same as the Arrow HE.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #585 of 4,123

Quote:
Me too. :) There's really no obvious difference regarding dynamics, soundstage, frequency response, or anything else between driving the HD650 from my Woo6 and my Arrow (besides the obvious tube harmonics).

So, are you saying the Woo WA6 is no better than a portable amp costing 1/3 as much, or that it's only with the HD650 that you don't hear an obvious difference?  
confused_face_2.gif

I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of the HD650 (HD600 I love), but with just about any other headphone my maxed WA6 with upgraded tubes beats any portable amp that I have tried, the Edition 9 being the exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back