Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G VS Practical Devices XM6
Mar 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

squirrel edge

New Head-Fier
Ok, here is my question. I am looking to get a portable amp/DAC . I want an amp the will allow me to tweak the BASS and that has cross fade. I like the XM6 because I can roll the chips. However, I like the thin size for the arrow. 

My current headphones are V-Moda LP, Shure 215 Limited edition, [size=10pt]Ultrasone PRO 650 (office headphone). I would be using the amp with my iPhone 5, iPod classic and my laptop. My music selection is very eclectic, classics rook (Rush, Allman brothers, Pink Floyd) Alterative rock (Cheval, Red, Evanescence) EMD/debstep, Jam Bands (Dave Mathews, Moe., Gov Mule), and Blues[/size]

[size=10pt]I need an amp the have long battery life, travels well, and can handle very broad types of music. [/size]

[size=10pt]Please let me know which one of the two amps would work best.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks in advance for your help [/size]

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Ok, here is my question. I am looking to get a portable amp/DAC . I want an amp the will allow me to tweak the BASS and that has cross fade. I like the XM6 because I can roll the chips. However, I like the thin size for the arrow. 

My current headphones are V-Moda LP, Shure 215 Limited edition, [size=10pt]Ultrasone PRO 650 (office headphone). I would be using the amp with my iPhone 5, iPod classic and my laptop. My music selection is very eclectic, classics rook (Rush, Allman brothers, Pink Floyd) Alterative rock (Cheval, Red, Evanescence) EMD/debstep, Jam Bands (Dave Mathews, Moe., Gov Mule), and Blues[/size]

[size=10pt]I need an amp the have long battery life, travels well, and can handle very broad types of music. [/size]

[size=10pt]Please let me know which one of the two amps would work best.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks in advance for your help [/size]

I can't comment on the XM6, but I can on the Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G...

The amp is truly amazing in terms of portability. If you want a slim package with great sonic quality, I don't think you can get better. I think the main selling point for the Arrow is how much power this little thing has. It can drive some of the most inefficient headphones on the market today. I've test mine with my LCD-2.2, HE-500, and HD 800 and they all are driven authoritatively and with plenty of power. So you can buy with confidence that the Arrow will accommodate any future purchases in that regard. Now feature wise they look equally as good, but again size is a lot different so I would take that into serious consideration. Now sonically, I can recommend with full confidence that the Arrow will fit your bill. It has enough features to cater to anyone's sound preferences and you will have the ability to tweak the sound for specific genres and moods which is great! I think for the money, the Arrow is an incredible amp, and is unmatched overall. The amp truly does sound like an amp worth double, maybe even triple the price.. and I can say with full confidence that you will not be disappointed. Good luck with your search!

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Dose the Arrow have a DAC? I see that it have a USB port but can not find any info about the DAC, or is the USB only used to charge the battery? 
Thanks for you help

The USB can be used to charge and used as a amplifier at a computer, via USB cable. To answer your questions, no the Arrow does not include a DAC unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back