Headset recommendation for noisy environment, < $150?
May 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SeanTek

New Head-Fier
Hey folks; this is my first post to Head-Fi. :)
I am looking for an awesome closed headset to use at the office for music, multimedia, and the occasional gaming.
  1. Heavy use in a noisy office environment--want sound isolation, but also want to be able to take them off quickly. An in-ear solution won't work (I already have Etymotics for that). No open headset.
  2. Noise-canceling mic. Omnidirectional mic is a negative.
  3. Comfortable for long-term use: won't heat up or be too tight.
  4. Not too heavy.
  5. < $150. Could stretch to $180 street pricing, if it's "that good".
  6. No need for a separate amp. 3.5mm or USB is fine.

What are your recommendations?

While I consider myself a "junior audiophile", I don't need perfect audio quality here, just good all around. Right now I'm debating between the following:
  1. Sennheiser PC 350 - concerned about lack of bass and need for amp or separate modding to get the phones to sound right, but it looks like most people swear by the mic
  2. Sennheiser PC 330 - a lot of complaints that it fits too tightly
  3. Creative Tactic3D Sigma - cheap but possibly effective
  4. Corsair Vengeance 1500 - not as cheap but probably more effective; light; yet no 3.5mm option [Corsair 1300 is the equivalent]
  5. Beyerdynamic MMX 2 - somewhere in the middle; may not be sufficiently isolating because not circumaural
  6. Steelseries Siberia V2 - seems like a good compromise, but mic may be flaky
  7. Razer Tiamat 7.1 - concerned about unidirectional mic; 7.1 is gimmicky but early reviews are very positive

The Beyerdynamic MMX 300 looks like an amazing match, but is 2.5x out of the price range.

Thanks all!

May 15, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 5
You might look at the Beyer dt770's. Quality top to bottom. Good sound signature and they isolate well. Not noise canceling, but they do isolate.

gL!!

May 15, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 5
How noisy is the environment where you want to use them?

You could get some krk's (6400 or 8400), they are not extremely isolating, but they are very comfortable (not heavy at all, not too tight clamping force and very comfortable pads), and they sound very good for the price.

May 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 5
Pretty noisy. Think light warehouse/industrial space with about 40+ people in a huge shared room. That's why a noise-isolating microphone is important in addition to noise-isolating closed headphones.

I'm currently leaning towards the Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Sigma. Newegg has a great $25 off deal, making it $44.99. Hard to quibble with that value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back